Screenshot-Thread

• "Elite Dangerous"

It's a part of the Elite franchise that's been around since 1984 (on the BBC Micro, Amstrad CPC, Acorn Electron, Commodore 64, PC and others). First true 3D game on several of those early computers, I believe. Second incarnation was Frontier: Elite II from I think 1993, and Frontier: First Encounters (Elite 3) from 1995. This is the latest edition, crowdfunded on Kickstarter and brought to life in 2014. The same boss is still around: David Braben, who made the first game together with Ian Bell when they were still students. He's also one of the instrumental persons behind the Raspberry Pi foundation and its cheap Linux/UNIX ARM computers for education and learning.

Key part is Brabens seeding algorithm - in its current form called the "stellar forge", which procedurally generates* the entire milky way from the galaxy down to the individual planets with roughly 400 billion stars. More background information from the lead engine developer and former physics scientist Doc Ross can be found [here].

The game isn't "perfect", but features lots of typical "space things" like piracy, trading, bounty hunting, smuggling, military careers, and.. what I'm doing - space exploration.

Comparable games would be X or Privateer. It's just that Elite has been around much longer than the entire competition by a long shot. ;) And it was much bigger than the rest from the very start.

*Edit: Several 100.000 real star systems have since been added to the game, so you can also find a lot of stars and systems that actual astronomers identified in the sky and subsequently mapped. This includes e.g. stars found and mapped by the Two Micron All-Sky Survey (2MASS) or the european Hipparcos (HIP) satellite and other projects, like the very old Henry Draper star catalogue (HD).

I just recently managed to reach, map and escape from (that part was hard!) the red supergiant HD 40064 as its first visitor and discoverer. But that adventurous story is for another post... ;) But nice feeling, reaching a real and hard-to-reach star that was discovered by an astronomer roughly 100 years ago. :)

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

Stolzer Besitzer eines 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP Prototypen:

• 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP HiNT Rev.A-3700

[//wp.xin.at] - No RISC, no fun!

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

Quote Bier.jpg@IRC 2020: "Je schlimmer der Fetisch, desto besser!"

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von GrandAdmiralThrawn (5. September 2019 um 22:29)

• Hmm quite a lot like how No man'S Sky is but hopefully done better with joystick & HOTAS support that would make a space combat simulator like that complete.

Star Citizen & No Man's Sky in ways but more affordable I guess looks cool either way tho :)

• I'm playing in VR with a Samsung Odyssey+ headset and a Logitech/Madcatz/Saitek X56 Rhino HOTAS setup. It ain't the most well-built HOTAS, but it's got the 8 analog axes you need to control a space ship (Thrust, Yaw, Pitch, Roll, Vertical thrusters, Lateral thrusters, Headlook X/Y if you don't have VR or a head tracker). Plus a ton of buttons and switches, just perfect for space sims.

As said, build quality of the X56 could be better, but with a few mods, it's really very usable for me.

Elite does have very good HOTAS support, several setups are supported directly (like the X56, the Warthog and many others, like dual-stick setups). I had trouble getting used to playing with a joystick again before, but with Elite, it was just a breeze. Took me barely 30 minutes to get fully used to it again!

(Now, if only Logitech would build a version of the X56 that has the build quality of a Virpil setup...)

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

• Hmm does it also use the Vulkan API? I really hope so my Dual 12 core OpteronMP 6180 SE D1 with it's Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64 will really be greatly used in the most efficient ways.

Unless it already has great SMP support like most Space sims do have from what I know.
    but nothing can get as chaotic as Freespace2, well from what I seen hah xD

But that is super cool as HOTAS support goes I too need to grab me a HOTAS someday, also idea for Microprose's Falcon 4.0 with Free Falcon 3.2 & SSI's Flanker 2.0 with 2.51 patch :)

Modern day jets also have tons of keys and a HOTAS does that just well.

Atm I am enjoying the Vulkan API update for No Man's Sky tho :)
    24 Opteron 6100 cores & Vega 64's 4096 GCN 5 cores love it, renders well at 2560x1600x32 in ultra settings :)

Here a cool flyby of some mercenary ships:

Here's Ilmoto's Home base and his UBER Tower yeah he is trying to built to space :topmodel: It's high af xD

Here I flew my Class A Starfighter named Gold Leader towards it

Here I went exploring about :)

The blue on is Blue Leader as my Class B Fighter/freighter the yellow one is Blue Leader as my Class A Starfighter and waited til nightfall for a nice night picture :)

I just hope more and more games will take use of the Vulkan API< it's the API of the future and can run under every OS not only just that of Microsoft but also all platforms support it PC"s & Consoles alike, it should get rid of the limited Microsoft strain API that refers to DirectX 12 which is sadly MS only.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (7. September 2019 um 10:55)

• The 3D API of Elite Dangerous is (unfortunately) Direct3D 11. No Vulkan, no OpenGL, no Direct3D 12. It appears that development resources are quite limited, so we can expect new content, but no new renderer.

They used to have an OpenGL renderer on macOS, but since Apple gave up on OpenGL in favor of their own proprietory Metal API, Frontier Developments has withdrawn from the Apple platform, so no more Elite on Mac.

Direct3D 11 it is..

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

• Zitadelle der Zeit

Im Spiel wird überdeutlich, daß Link der Held der Zeit ist...

Ich hab kein - Hey guck mal, ein Eichhörnchen!

Uuii, na wenn da mal nix zu findet ist...

Angriff der Killerhühner, dabei wollte ich nur nen Ei...

Seht meine fiese Heugabel des Todes!

Frischfleisch :D

Damit kann man auch fliegen :D

Link schläft wohl mit seinem ganzen Zeugs. Sein Rücken wird sich bedanken, wenn er mal alt ist...

The Legend Of Breath Of The Wild

Nintendo Switch.

Man findet immer wieder etwas neues :D

Ich habe heute herausgefunden, daß Link das Schild beim Surfen seinen Feinden in die Fresse hauen kann :D

"Du bist und bleibst a Mensch und du kannst eben net deine menschlichkeit überwinden."

Dennis_50300

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von CryptonNite (10. September 2019 um 12:41)

• Werde demnächst Mal einen etwas längeren Story-Arc aus Elite hier reinposten bzw. reinspammen, aber vorher etwas kurzes und simples, das ich so vorher noch nicht gefunden hatte:

Metallische, terrestrische Welt mit seltsamen gelben "Flecken": Planet [AB 1] im System [Phoi Aowsy BN-A d14-10374]. (Klicken zum Vergrößern)

Fand das ganz interessant. Laut meiner Scanner ist dieser Planet von einer fast zur Gänze aus Wasserdampf bestehenden, dicken und heißen Atmosphäre bedeckt, und weist intensiven Silikat-Vulkanismus auf. Diese Flecken sind also wohl das Produkt von ausgesprochen riesigen Vulkanen, die (gasförmige!) Silikate speien, und dabei - so die aktuelle Annahme - Schwefel mit an die Oberfläche befördern. Das würde die spezifische Färbung dieser Bereiche erklären. Sah jedenfalls ganz lustig aus.

Urlaub würde ich hier aber nicht machen wollen. Die durchschnittliche Oberflächentemperatur liegt immerhin bei 1542K, der Hintern sitzt dank 3.42M und damit 1.92g auch ordentlich fest auf Grund, und von oben kommt bei einem Druck von 9190 Bar wenig gutes. Dagegen schaut die Venus noch wie ein Strandressort aus!

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von GrandAdmiralThrawn (13. September 2019 um 22:50)

• Kleine Korrektur als Klugschwätzer, Temperatur in Kelvin wird ohne „Grad-Symbol“ angegeben, einfach nur Kelvin. :topmodel:

Permanent aufgebaut:
    A7V133, Athlon 1,4GHz, 512MB, GeForce3 Ti200 128MB, SB Live! X-Gamer
    Für die LAN:
    TUSL2-C, PIII-S 1,4GHz, 512MB, GeForce2 GTS 32MB, 2x Monster II 12M, SB Live!
    CUSL2-C, PIII 933MHz, 512MB, G400 Max 32MB AGP, 2x 3D Blaster Voodoo² 12MB, SB Live!
    CUSL2-C, PIII 933MHz, 512MB, G400 Max 32MB AGP, 2x Monster II 8MB, SB Live!

• Gerade gelesen, warum das so ist. Alles klar, war mir noch nicht bekannt. Ist editiert. Sieht nur ausgesprochen seltsam aus... Im umgangssprachlichen Gebrauch sagt hier auch jeder "Grad Kelvin", wahrscheinlich aus Gewohnheit.

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

• Im umgangssprachlichen Gebrauch sagt hier auch jeder "Grad Kelvin", wahrscheinlich aus Gewohnheit.

Umgangssprachlich gibt auch jeder eine Gewichtskraft in Kilogramm (oder Zehnerpotenzen davon) an. Eine Kraft misst man aber im metrischen System in Newton und das Kilogramm bezeichnet eine Masse.

"Du bist und bleibst a Mensch und du kannst eben net deine menschlichkeit überwinden."

Dennis_50300

• Habs tatsächlich mal fast ganz an die Spitze bei einem der täglichen Online Events geschafft :spitze:

(ich spiel Rennspiele am PC seit eh und je mit Tastatur)

Und noch zwei Screens vom Start, einmal BMW und einmal Ford:

• Ich sag immer, mit genug Zeugs intus kann man sich so ziemlich alles schön reden.....:topmodel::topmodel::topmodel:

Permanent aufgebaut:
    Für die LAN:
    CUSL2-C, PIII 933MHz, 512MB, G400 Max 32MB AGP, 2x 3D Blaster Voodoo² 12MB, SB Live!

• Ist bestimmt nen Textur-Hack aka Wall-Hack! :topmodel:

Permanent aufgebaut:
    Für die LAN:

• Schmeiß die olle 128 raus und mach was vernünftiges rein! :topmodel:

Matrox G200 würde mir einfallen.

Permanent aufgebaut:
    Für die LAN:

• Sowas hasse ich...

... aber so kann man's auch lösen :spitze:

Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod.

Schon besser.

Der Moment, in dem du merkst, daß etwas schief läuft...

Echt jetzt! Zieh' dir mal was an!

Wenn du verkackt hast.

Dennis_50300