Making a cable and thinking about AMPS

• I am looking to make a special adapter. Molex to Single Pin DC.
    This is for my Voodoo 5 6000.

I am using a Molex to P4 motherboard connector, lopping off the P4 connector and then soldering a single pin DC connector to replace it.

So, at this point, I have the correct connections to get power, 12V, but what about the AMPS??? I don't really understand enough about electrical to figure this part out. Do I need to control the amount of AMPS the card gets?

I am using an ANTEC NEO 550W modular PSU. It has three 12V+ rails. Each rail supplies MIN 1A and a MAX 20A.

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=939&pageID=2409

My item consumes a max 4.6A. Do I need to buy something to ensure the card doesn't get too many or too little amps OR does the card draw the amount of AMPS it needs and I should not worry about this issue.

thanks!

• Thanks to Eye-Q for answering this on the FalconFly.de forum:

"OR does the card draw the amount of AMPS it needs and I should not worry about this issue."

That's the way it goes - the voltage is given by the generator but the current depends on the consumer load. If the consumer needs too much current the generator can be overloaded but if the generator can deliver more current than the consumer needs it's no problem.

Many thanks Eye-Q!!! :D