Odd FSAA x4 compabillity problems

• Hi all the past week I have been stmbling around with my 3dfx Voodoo5 5500 armed PC's.

And something odd happened on all three here are the setups I used with win2K Pro + SP4 & WinXP Pro + SP3:

Dual Pentium!!!/EB 1000
    ABiT VP6
    4x 256MB PC-133 Micron Crucial
    3dfx Voodoo5 5500 PCI with PC Bios 1.11
    Creative SB Audigy2 Platinum

AthlonXP 2700+
    EPoX EP-8K3A+
    3x 512MB PC3200 CL2 Kingston HyperX @ PC-2700
    3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP with PC Bios 1.06

Dual OpteronDP 248 CG
    MSI MS-9130 K8T Master2-FAR
    2x 1024MB PC-3200 ECC Reg. CL2.5 Kingston value Ram
    3dfx Voodoo5 5500 PCI Macintosh flashed with PC Bios 1.11_DVI beta
    Creative SB Audigy2 Platinum eX

With all three different setups I used the following drivers:

AmigaMerlin 3.1 R1
    AmigaMerlin 3.1 R11

and here comes the weirdest part:

When playing StarWars X-Wing Alliance + DarkSaber's Ultimate Craft Pack 1.1 with the Mission Update and StarWars Racer 1.0 I get these symptoms with all three 3dfx setups:

When using FSAA x4 the system do's as if it is loading the application but after some time it hangs so I have to do a warm reboot and after the warm reboot the system is back to normal. with the FSAA x2 mode and no FSAA ode as single chip the applications run without graphical problems.

under WinXP pro + SP3 & SP2 I get massive sound errors in racer, but XWA had not sound problems, under Wins@ these problems didn't occur.

are there others that are experiencing the same symptoms? why doesn't FSAA x4 work woth these games since it's only a hardware option that does work with 98SE with these titles as it also works with Hank Semenec's Fire 6 demo as Q3A as UT GOTYE 1999 under 2K as XP...

anyways it remains an odd experience I never encountered because I never ran these games with 3dfx cards with such setups as operating systems untill the past week, I hope some of you have some ways of solving this at the least for Win2K.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Obi-Wan Kenobi (22. Oktober 2008 um 02:36)

• well here's some ghood news thx to ps47's help via ICQ he gave me a modified version of SFFT 1.4 and the FSAA x4 problem in Star Wars Episode I Racer has been resolved!

1024 x 768 x16 + FSAA x4 + LOD Bias -4
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://www.3dfx.ch/gallery/d/33372-1/Racer+FSAA+x4.png]
    Tested on the following setup:

AthlonXP 2700+
    EPoX EP-8K3A+

Win2K Pro + SP4 & RU1 for SP4
    SFFT ALPHA 41 modified by ps47

Later this day I will test X-Wing Alliance + Darksaber's Ultimate Craft Pack 1.1 with the missions fix and I will keep you all updated as this info can be usefull for others who are looking for a fix to this problem ;)

Okay for those who want to play DXX-Rebirth 0.54 on their 3dfx Voodoo3, 4 and 5 cards here is the great news my friends and yes thanx to the 3dfx driver support fromm ps47 and SFFT this dream has been made possible!

here's my results of DXX-Rebirth 0.54 with this perfect driver supporting the OpenGL 1.4 code!!!

1024 x 768 x32 max settings no FSAA:
    http://www.3dfx.ch/gallery/d/3338…GP+FSAA+x4a.png http://www.3dfx.ch/gallery/d/3338…AGP+FSAA+x4.png
    http://www.3dfx.ch/gallery/d/3337…P+FSAA+x4+b.png http://www.3dfx.ch/gallery/d/3337…P+FSAA+x4+d.png

As you can see I had some Fusion fun since the excitement I had just seeing it run on a Voodoo5 5500 AGP hrr hrr :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    So for the ones that want the driver here it is:
    http://www.3dfx.cz/download/sfftalpha41_custom.rar

Install your Voodoo3 4 or 5 handmatically via Device manager then install this version of 3dfx Tools for your Control Panel:
    http://www.falconfly.de/downloads/3dfxtools-v261110.zip

the control panel has an installer via it's setup file :)

the system I ran DXX-R 0.54 on is the following:

AthlonXP 2700+
    EPoX EP-8K3A+

Win2K Pro + SP4 & RU1 for SP4
    SFFT ALPHA 41 modified by ps47

Keeping 3dfx alive is what we do people and this is one of them many ways 8)

8 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Obi-Wan Kenobi (22. Oktober 2008 um 04:36)

• Usually, AmigaMerlin's a nice pack of drivers, especially for Glide, but for more modern D3D/OGL games there just are some compatibility issues..

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

Stolzer Besitzer eines 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP Prototypen:

• 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP HiNT Rev.A-3700

[//wp.xin.at] - No RISC, no fun!

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

Quote Bier.jpg@IRC 2020: "Je schlimmer der Fetisch, desto besser!"

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von GrandAdmiralThrawn (22. Oktober 2008 um 10:57)

• Zitat

Original von GrandAdmiralThrawn
    Usually, AmigaMerlin's a nice pack of drivers, especially for Glide, but for more modern D3D/OGL games there just are some compatibility problems..

Well Racer is a 3dfx game from 1998 a 1999 a 3dfx time period and DXX-Rebirth is an old project which started in mid 2002 so even on that behalf it is something that normally should of coped , but infact it never did.

under 98SE Racer wored fine with FSAA x4 under anyother NTFS OS AmigaMerlin;s drivers failed as where SFFT ALPHA 41 succeeded , it may seem that the Glide support en SFFT ALPHA 41 is just a nitch better, as far the FSAA x4 settings allow it to go. ;)

• Wait, want i meant to say, was this:

Amigamerlin drivers usually have some problems with modern D3D/OGL games.
    and:
    SFFT drivers usually have some problems with old Glide games..

Old Driver <=> Old Game
    New Driver <=> New Game

Sort of.. just mixed it up in that case.

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

Stolzer Besitzer eines 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP Prototypen:

• 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP HiNT Rev.A-3700

[//wp.xin.at] - No RISC, no fun!

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

Quote Bier.jpg@IRC 2020: "Je schlimmer der Fetisch, desto besser!"

• Zitat

Original von GrandAdmiralThrawn
    Wait, want i meant to say, was this:

Amigamerlin drivers usually have some problems with modern D3D/OGL games.
    and:
    SFFT drivers usually have some problems with old Glide games..

Old Driver <=> Old Game
    New Driver <=> New Game

Sort of.. just mixed it up in that case.

I know but if you reread my post I was using very old games with SFFT A41 ;) where All AM drivers failed to cope with FSAA x4 ;) that was my point .. :topmodel:

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Obi-Wan Kenobi (22. Oktober 2008 um 14:22)

• Zitat

Original von Rolo01
    Obi,
    do you have any information what was changed in that modified driver you got by PS47 ?

heej Rolo01

Well All he said to me was the following :)

[14:52] ps47: fixed registry entries so all settings in 3dfx tools are (should be) working correctly,re-added original 3dfx glide2x and opengl icd for maximum old game compatibility.compatibility with mesafx is preserved,but manual instal of mesafx is required (drop mesafx opengl32.dll into the game's working folder)..

That is what you were seeking Jedi Master Rolo01 8)

Though I have made the entire DXX-Rebirth team very proud with this news as I was the first to get a Voodoo5 running with any DXX-Rebirth version with Texture Clamp functioning normally ;) This is what my admin told me hehe

If you like you can test SFFT A41 with your 5000 AGP, my 5000 AGP hasn't arrived yet, but I have an idea to get the 5000 AGP's SLI working under 2K as XP, use the SFFT A41 driver it should work since a 5000 is actually a 5500 with half of the ram.

what you also could do is install it as a 5500 AGP with AM 3.1 R11 that might work as well, it's just to see if we can get it's SLI + FSAA working under an NT based OS, since there aren't many 5000 users around I had hoped you would join me to solve this long listed problem of the 5000.

6 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Obi-Wan Kenobi (22. Oktober 2008 um 14:59)