[Reparatur] exxe's 3dfx Daytona PCI REV 3900

• SIEHT aus wie neu
    jetzt müsste sie nur wieder laufen....

VoodooAlert IRC Channel

Und hier noch ein blöder Spruch den nicht jeder sehen kann.
    :spitze: Anscheinend ist es ja mittlerweile modern, Schriftfarben zu nutzen die man nur in einem der beiden Designs sehen kann :spitze:

Die Karte ist aktuell nicht funktionstüchtig und kann nicht über das Tool PCIVIEW ausgelesen werden.

Hello VA.

I'm sorry, I don't understand german and google translation sucks.

PCIVIEW doesn't read the card at all or just display it as wrong address?

• Normally PCIVIEW is able to read the vendor-id and device-id of every device mounted on the mainboard... I can read both of my Voodoo 5 5500 but not the Daytona. So the card doesn't even get initialized.

• its even more worse
    i440bx based Mainboards dont boot until the card is present

es ist sogar noch schlimmer
    Sobald die Daytona im System steckt booten z.B. i440bx Mainboards nicht mal mehr

VoodooAlert IRC Channel

Und hier noch ein blöder Spruch den nicht jeder sehen kann.
    :spitze: Anscheinend ist es ja mittlerweile modern, Schriftfarben zu nutzen die man nur in einem der beiden Designs sehen kann :spitze:

• Normally PCIVIEW is able to read the vendor-id and device-id of every device mounted on the mainboard... I can read both of my Voodoo 5 5500 but not the Daytona. So the card doesn't even get initialized.

OK, but what I meant actually is if the vendor/device IDs are wrong or not displayed at all...

• That Daytona has been around the world...

The Daytona I still have is from Hank (with no chip markings), the one shown I purchased from Falconfly in 2005 (corrected post)

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von gdonovan (2. März 2012 um 14:57)

• The vendor/device ID of the Daytona board doesn't get displayed at all :(

That doesn't seem encouraging.

Have you checked and seen if there are short circuits on mosfet? (sorry if you have already checked)

Try to inquire further on those QS3861Q bus switches above the PCI connector.

• Try to inquire further on those QS3861Q bus switches above the PCI connector.

Did measure these today. The supply voltage is ok (around 4.5V each) and the BE (Bus Enable Switch) is set to low, which means the switches are enabled. So they seem fine to me.

• Nothing yet :( I can't find a main damage on the card. That's why I want to go for a BGA rework. At the moment I'm training my BGA soldering skills on dead/working cards. Tomorrow the Voodoo 5 from Wild Bill should arrive, this card will be my final test-object before the Daytona.

• I did a reflow of the VSA101 today, but sadly it didn't help. What I noticed during the process is that a lot of solder flux did come out under the VSA101! This is very unusual which means that someone (maybe a 3dfx engineer) did try a manual reflow or complete rework of the BGA. Maybe this is also the reason why the PCB is warped?!
    The VSA101 now fits smoother to the PCB and also the PCB itself isn't warped that heavy anymore (at least it looks like that). But when I look closely to the solder balls of the BGA I can see that there is still lots of burned solder flux between them... this is not too good, it could prevent clean contact from the chip to the PCB.

The problem is I'm not skilled enough to do a complete reball (at least for chips with that size) of the VSA101 and I don't have the best equipment... There is a local service provider which is specialized in repairing such stuff, but this is something exxe needs to decide.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Ich habe heute einen Reflow des VSA101 durchgeführt, dieser hat jedoch leider nicht zum Erfolg geführt. Während der Arbeit ist sehr viel Flussmittel unter dem VSA101 ausgetreten! Finde ich ziemlich ungewöhnlich (nach der normalen Produktion tritt sowas nämlich nicht auf) und könnte bedeuten das schon jemand (evtl. ein 3dfx Mitarbeiter) versucht hat den BGA händisch zu überarbeiten. Vielleicht ist dies sogar der Grund warum das PCB so verbogen ist.
    Egal wie, der VSA101 sitzt jetzt im Vergleich zu vorher deutlich planer auf dem PCB und mir erscheint auch das PCB selbst nicht mehr so stark gekrümmt. Bei genauer Betrachtung der Lötpunkte unter dem Chip sieht man viel verbranntes Flussmittel... sowas ist nicht sonderlich gut, es könnte den Kontakt des Chips zum PCB verhindern oder stören.

Mein Problem an der Sache ist folgendes, ich hab einfach nicht genug Erfahrung im Umgang mit BGA Lötarbeiten (zumindest nicht so große Chips) und das beste Equipment habe ich auch nicht hier...

exxe: Es gibt hier einen lokalen Dienstleister der sich auf solche Reparaturen spezialisiert hat. Ich würde hier einfach mal eine Anfrage stellen und wenn es nicht zu teuer wird könnte man es hier noch versuchen.

Hier zwei Bilder nach der Reinigung der Sauerei durch das Flussmittel:
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://www.abload.de/thumb/after_reflow_12hzke.jpg] [Blockierte Grafik: http://www.abload.de/thumb/after_reflow_29hlan.jpg]

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Löschzwerg (16. März 2012 um 17:06)