Speaking about Rampage..

• I think it's really just using D3D9 libraries (the files containing the D3D9 API), running the exact same test... I might be wrong. But it should be possible to verify this. At least when it comes to pixel shader application. The D3D9 API can very well render a D3D5, 6, 7 or 8 scene as well.

Exactly. Like I wrote somewhere in this thread before, it's just a small test to see if the libraries are installed correctly. With D3D9 a lot did change (new features and programming a lot simpler), but it still uses the basic command of the earlier Direct3D versions.

Oh and I think you mean the tool called "filter tester", but it just highlights the applied texture filtering.

• I meant something like the [SVIST test] in the full version of AquaMark 3, showing where in the scene it's got shader model 1.x and 2.0 implemented for pixel shaders:

[Blockierte Grafik: http://www.hardwareheaven.com/articles/aquamark3/Aqua/usedandextra/PIXELtest.JPG]
    (blue: simple shading without pixel shader, yellow: predominantly pixel shader 1.x, red: predominantly complex shading using pixel shader 2.0)

I thought there was a generic tool to do that in any 3D engine, but maybe I'm mixing things up here...

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

Stolzer Besitzer eines 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP Prototypen:

• 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP HiNT Rev.A-3700

[//wp.xin.at] - No RISC, no fun!

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

Quote Bier.jpg@IRC 2020: "Je schlimmer der Fetisch, desto besser!"

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von GrandAdmiralThrawn (25. Juni 2013 um 17:28)

• Rampage was the one and only chip supporting PixelShader 1.0, I think. All others started with PS1.1.

"Du bist und bleibst a Mensch und du kannst eben net deine menschlichkeit überwinden."

Dennis_50300

• Here is a question for you- One thing I have noted is the board tends to crash more often if the Direct3D gamma is cranked up in the 3dfx tool panel. Any thoughts on that?

Was playing with max payne tonight, which looks to render well but very dark.

• Does this only happen when using the 3dfx tool panel or also when tuning some game setting?

Both.

The d3d "flare" test will run fine unless the gamma is cranked up (4 in the control panel) and max payne will go down as soon as you work the gamma slider a few clicks in the games control panel.

• so sad that this NVidia-Kick-Ass Killa didnt went into mass-destruct-production -_- :(

i will nuke that blaming credit institute that 3dfx had..... =]

@ gdonovan
    epic nice stuff :thumbup:

:respekt: @ 3Dfx
    3dfx und ATi ownez und Matrox :P

3dfx Sachen übrig? PN an mich! You wanna get rid of your 3dfx stuff? Write me a PN (private message)!

AAlchemySX System mit Tyan Serverboard und 2 PIIIs

• @ Lt.Com.DATA :)

NVIDIA just bought their assets, as where 3dfx killed themselves by making a few deadly and bad moves, like taking the Rampage team to work on a useless product like Banshee :huh: Which was not successful like Voodoo Graphics, Vodooo2 & Voodoo2 SLI were, Voodoo3 was a good product but it was still beaten by TNT 2 Ultra from NVIDIA and Matrox G400MAX, as for Voodoo5 and the later released Voodoo4, these were my favs but they were actually made to fill in the delay gaps for Rampage which sadly never made it to the market, anyways that is my version of it all in a very short sentence.

So all in all it was their own fault they ran out of money and killed themselves with such flaws and not NVIDIA's :)

There by we should be happy NVDIA bought them this way all their debts could be paid off greatly and the ex-3dfx employee's just could continue their jobs @ NVIDIA or ATI as some went to ATi also, but again they too faced a similar thing when AMD ate them up lol :topmodel:

So to be very honest I really do not see any problems with all that ;) I totally love my EVGA/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 Red Editions, GTX 480 & GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature Editions as I love my 3dfx Voodoo's, ATi Radeons, Matrox Parhelia's and S3 Savages :thumbup:

They all are just VGA cards to me and simply all of them are awesome. But when it comes to main use? Always NVIDIA , mainly due to a subtle and stable driver package, plus a more complete API package, something ATi/AMD Radeons lack on having. But that is always user defined I'm like some could prefer a Radeon over GeForce too, it's all a personal choice of flavour.

Sorry but I don't bash VGA card companies anymore, I'm too old for such things, We now have AMD & NVIDIA to choose from, it would be nice if Matrox & S3 tried to come up with something, but I guess that too is a run for it's money.
    We can always make an other thread about that elsewhere ;)

Anyways no more offtopic from me, sorry for that :)

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (28. Juni 2013 um 18:08)

• Zitat

So all in all it was their own fault they ran out of money and killed themselves with such flaws and not NVIDIA's

I'm sorry but Nvidia did help kill them, try looking up the term "lawfare."

Nvidia filled lawsuits against 3dfx that would have surely failed and were baseless but designed to drain 3dfx's cash reserves on lawyers.

I have seen the legal documents and the lawyers comments, nvidia had no standing.

• Hmm oh oke, Then I understood it incorrectly heh, even though I envy NVIDIA their drivers are rock solid. But support wise I'd take EVGA over NVIDIA any day, they just care more for their customers even that they are a vendor of NVIDIA.

But hey thanks for the explanation Gary, I never thought it would be like that, good example how dirty companies can really be at each other :X

How is the Rampage catching along? I hope you are able to get any further with it :) Many thanks for posting all your results here mate :thumbup:

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (28. Juni 2013 um 22:30)

• How is the Rampage catching along? I hope you are able to get any further with it :) Many thanks for posting all your results here mate :thumbup:

Nothing at the moment, waiting for a different motherboard to ship out, researching other motherboards from that era (slot one, slot A, socket 370 and Socket A) and working on getting a programming guide. Lots of irons in the fire.

• [Blockierte Grafik: http://www.3dfx.ch/gallery/d/58046-2/DSCN7121.JPG]
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://www.3dfx.ch/gallery/d/58049-2/DSCN7128.JPG]

Some notes from this mornings blast from the past, been a real long time since I heard the Windows 95 start up sound!

Win95A will run Rampage without too much problem but there are more cons than pros in my opnion. To run it you will need a copy of Win95A, the Win9x driver, DX7.0 and thats pretty much it unless you wish to run a few more things noted below. Do NOT install the Microsoft USB upgrade patch as that also adds offical AGP support. I wanted the OS to treat the board like it was a PCI device.

1) DirectX 8.0A (last DX that supports Win95) works but I tried a wrapper or two that requires DX8 but even with DX8 they would not run. If running DX8 you also need to install DCOM95. The AGP info (enable/disable) in the DX control panel was clearly grayed out.

2) If installing 3dfx tools you need Internet Explorer 4.01 with service pack or higher! I had IE5.01 on a disk and was good to go but I did not notice any increase in gamma control under D3D when using the 3dfx tool app.

2) Here is System Shock 2 running under Win95A-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHIQ68xNwTE&feature=youtu.be

The video runs for SEVERAL minutes and I'm sorry for the poor quality, I did not know the camera was on the low rez setting. Rather than do a run through again as I'm behind on chores already I'll post this up and try to redo some time in the future. The next week is going to be very, very bad for time and odds are this will be the last major update you will see for a week.

3) Rampage REALLY likes Thief engine games, they ran mostly fine aside from a single crash during testing Thief. Thief the Dark Project is really dark though and cranking the gamma only helped a little. Runs the same under Win95 or Win98SE so no advantage to continue testing under Win95.

Still blue screens under some applications, the blue screen above is a D3D "draw primitives" test which really seems to make the card cranky. Same "OD" error as in Windows 98SE.

Oscar I have a handy CD with all the drivers, demos and applications I have been using for testing, I'll mail it out to you in the next week so that you have all the stuff I'm using so the results can be duplicated. Makes loading up a machine really easy.

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von gdonovan (30. Juni 2013 um 19:37)

• 3) Rampage REALLY likes Thief engine games, they ran mostly fine aside from a single crash during testing Thief. Thief the Dark Project is really dark though and cranking the gamma only helped a little. Runs the same under Win95 or Win98SE so no advantage to continue testing under Win95.

Thief 1 & 2 were really nice games. I like it.

"Du bist und bleibst a Mensch und du kannst eben net deine menschlichkeit überwinden."

Dennis_50300

• Try using a HD camera, this should give you much better image quality and much cleaner results too :)
    That game looks scary haha It gives me great memories alright rofl! Makes me wanna play it on my Voodoo5 5500 again :topmodel:

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (1. Juli 2013 um 02:56)

• Ha, I love Final Reality, so cool. Always reminds me of Second Reality from '93.

Cool to see it work, even if it's a bit sluggish in certain parts. ;)

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

• Yeah this is really nice, I never heard of Final Reality either xD

It looks very up to date for it's time, does it have Glide Support also? So I can test this on my V5 5500 AGP x4 for example :)
    As for the stuttering that could be that the P3 800 is forming a bottleneck for the Rampage or the Rampage is hitting it's VRAM limitation, but I doubt this.
    Now to find out what causes it to crash? I suspect drivers or Bios, never can be sure heh.

• Final Reality is Direct3D only. It was released in the time when AGP started to become cool. 1997 or 1998 if I am not mistaken. It also features a texture test with a map 64MB in size to test for AGP texturing capabilities. The cool thing is the city scene homage to the Assembly '93 winner demo, "Second Reality". If you wanna see Second Reality you'll either need a DOS machine, DOSBox or Youtube. ;)

Final Reality 1.01 download [here], in case you're interested. Not sure whether it works fine on modern systems too.

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von GrandAdmiralThrawn (1. Juli 2013 um 14:34)

• As for the stuttering that could be that the P3 800 is forming a bottleneck for the Rampage or the Rampage is hitting it's VRAM limitation, but I doubt this.

The Final Reality demo was released in 1997 when top CPU was a 233-300 mhz P2 Pentium, the P3-800 was not released till 2000.

I'm fairly sure the Motheboard hardware, CPU and ram (which for 1997 would have been smoking fast) are not the issue.

Alpha drivers and the cards BIOS is a different story. I'm working on fixing both... but these things take time.