Compact Year 1998 Gaming Build + Case Modding

• Very nice modded AT case you got here! :spitze:
    Nice idea of looking out HDDs, I've never seen this before.

I was using the GA-6BA as well, but since it got replaced by the P2B-B it's stored, maybe I build something new with it in the future.
    This is my Slot1 AT Tower if you are interested.
    You can also post your 3dfx computers here, since a lot of board members use this thread for showing their 3dfx computers.

3dfx SYSTEME (Silent/low Noise) Windows 98 SE:

QDI Legend V2200 AGP +Diamond Monster 3D +Videologic Apocalypse 3Dx | ASUS P2B-B | PII 450 | 128MB | 32GB CF
    Matrox G400 MAX +Matrox m3D +Orchid Righteous 3D² SLI | ASUS P3B-F | PIII 1100 | 256MB | 8GB CF
    Voodoo 5 5500 AGP | ASUS TUSL2-M | PIII-S 1400 | 256MB | 120GB SSD
    Voodoo 5 5500 AGP | EPoX EP-8K5A3+ | AthlonXP 3000+ | 512MB | 16GB CF |

• I'm not sure if it is "professional" enough, but I would recommend the Aureal Vortex2. Amazing card, way better than anything that Creative offers.

Sorry to say this but, your reply is a very inaccurate comment, the Vortex 2 would indeedly be the better choice IF General Audio is your main choice over Midi Audio.
    But when it comes to the Vortex2's General Midi sound quality, this comes no way near the Midi Sound quality of the AWE64 Gold, Aureal Vortex 2's General Midi just lacks the Midi sound quality and sound effects the EMU8000 Sound chip of the AWE Series can provide.
    When doing old games you won't care for general Midi, you want the real deal over some emulated crap.

The systems my friend are making are retro PC"s that have ISA slots, Now if Midi is not important then it's a different case, the Vortex 2 is the equivalent of the SB Live 1024, just an entirely different sound card class.
    What the EMU8000 can do midi wise, not one other sound chip can even come close to it.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (5. März 2016 um 15:39)

• You are right, my answer was a bit misleading. It depends heavily on the usage scenario. I think you summarized the situation quite good, nothing to add from my side. :spitze:

AMD Athlon XP 2400+ - Epox EP-8KHA+ - 1,5GB RAM - Voodoo 5 5500 AGP - Aureal Vortex2

• You are right, my answer was a bit misleading. It depends heavily on the usage scenario. I think you summarized the situation quite good, nothing to add from my side. :spitze:

Yeah Aureal Vortex 2 was amazing for DVD's and mainly CD's and Lve sets you name it, it's Audio sound quality was more than expected for it's time.
    Then connect it to a good tuner and there ya go.

Now I don't know if the Vortex 2 had a full sized Headphone plug like my Auzentech X-Fi Bravura 7.1 has, though I thought it did since the Vortex 2 was probably the best card for surround sound with Aureal A3D with music & video :)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (6. März 2016 um 05:36)

• Aureal Vortex 2's General Midi just lacks the Midi sound quality and sound effects the EMU8000 Sound chip of the AWE Series can provide.

Nice try ;) but there are enough Aureals with WaveTable Connector. If you use it with an 4MB Wavetable, the card outperforms the emulatet midi Sounds from any AWE cards.

year 1998 or 2000, if the Board have an ISA Slot, use it! In case that there ist no ISA get a good (no Creative) card :D

• Aureal Vortex 2's General Midi just lacks the Midi sound quality and sound effects the EMU8000 Sound chip of the AWE Series can provide.

Nice try ;) but there are enough Aureals with WaveTable Connector. If you use it with an 4MB Wavetable, the card outperforms the emulatet midi Sounds from any AWE cards.

year 1998 or 2000, if the Board have an ISA Slot, use it! In case that there ist no ISA get a good (no Creative) card :D

Real hardware is always better than all that emulated garbage.
    a true die-hard always prefers the real deal over something fake and non existent trying to copy an effect.

The same goes for emulating Glide on non-3dfx cards, it's always more buggy than the real deal and secondly it wasn't a try it's just a fact man.
    It all comes to show really, if your opinion was a fact why are there so many people using the following things over Emulators:

A.) 3dfx Voodoo cards for 3dfx Glide API
    B.) Creative AWE 32 & 64 Cards for EMU8000 based Midi

Point being if you prefer an emulator why not use a NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X or an AMD Radeon R9 Fury X and emulate Glide with them, I mean you might as well do it that way too then?
    So my point being is more valid than your inaccurate one, it just comes to show in the long run -->> The Real thing is always better than anything emulated ;)

Then again no need to emulate while you have the real thing eh? :rolleyes::whistling:^^

And yeah my Mobo is an EPoX EP-BX3 ver 1.1 with Intels infamous BX440 chipset :)
    I really don't like emulators because I have all the needed original hardware, each to their own I am thinking :)

Cheers man 8)

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (13. März 2016 um 20:38)