Voodoo5 5500 Modded /128mb VRAM /Rev 320 Chips /Heatsink /Backplate

• Got a modded Voodoo5 5500 card from Osckhar where he have added the protoype rev: 320 VSA100 chips and 128mb memory. The amount of VRAM can be changed to 16/32/64/128mb using jumpers. Not too mutch to say, other than i ofcourse made a backplate for it and added some heatsinks.

Big thanks to Osckhar! :thumbup:

As told in erlier post am i working in two other and way more complicated Voodoo 5500 mods which requires a 3d printer. :bonk:

[Blockierte Grafik: http://i.imgur.com/qaWlMzb.jpg]

[Blockierte Grafik: http://i.imgur.com/TE0xjzx.jpg]

[Blockierte Grafik: http://i.imgur.com/juPrlyN.jpg]

[Blockierte Grafik: http://i.imgur.com/F1tQiV2.jpg]

[Blockierte Grafik: http://i.imgur.com/FUM7ZN5.jpg]

"Why so serious!"

• Some call then prototype chips, others dont. It depends on how you look at it. Yes it a new revision, but mostly seen on the voodoo 5 6000 boards wich says a lot. I prefer to call it prototype, it sounds way more cool. And i'm not the only one who have called it that.
    But again, it depends on how you look at it, cuz it's a completed product. Remember i have read stories about some found them on 5500 cards.

Potato tomato.

"Why so serious!"

• Die arme Karte... :( ;(

"Arme karte" yes you are 100% right, and it's kinda sad. This card have ben experimented on it's intire life, the card was one oschar got from a 3Dfx SW engineer and have ben used as experiment board. As you can see, thers also SMD components from a DVI interface. And now after 3dfx went down came it in hands of another psycho who will torture it. But i have ben easy on it, thought about using peltier cooling for it. But didnt do it, even now when i have 5pcs of 40mm peltier elements. Did i keep my nasty hands of it. Condensing ice is not a nice thing for retro hardware.
    But even now when this look sick, i'm only using this card for few minutes at a time, i have had this board for half a year now, and all in all have i only used it for max 30min. Dont want to wear on it. Thats what i have regular cards for. This card is not for gaming, only for experiments and benchmarks.

"Why so serious!"

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ketfri8002 (25. Juli 2016 um 23:47)

• Die arme Karte... :( ;(

"Arme karte" yes you are 100% right, and it's kinda sad. This card have ben experimented on it's intire life, the card was one oschar got from a 3Dfx SW engineer and have ben used as experiment board. As you can see, thers also SMD components from a DVI interface. And now after 3dfx went down came it in hands of another psycho who will torture it. But i have ben easy on it, thought about using peltier cooling for it. But didnt do it, even now when i have 5pcs of 40mm peltier elements. Did i keep my nasty hands of it. Condensing ice is not a nice thing for retro hardware.
    But even now when this look sick, i'm only using this card for few minutes at a time, i have had this board for half a year now, and all in all have i only used it for max 30min. Dont want to wear on it. Thats what i have regular cards for. This card is not for gaming, only for experiments and benchmarks.

Also mit der ganzen Hintergrundgeschichte hat das doch ein gutes Ende genommen mit dieser Voodoo 5 :)
    Ich finde es toll, dass sie nicht "verheizt" wird. Sie scheint doch in guten Händen zu sein ;)

Are you going to benchmark it in 66MHz bus speed?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Kaitou (26. Juli 2016 um 03:14)

• I like this Mod.

V5 5500 is not too rare, so who cares if one of them would be modded. I dont think the latetest Revision of VSA will perform much better than standard. The lack of the card is the PCI bus. Lot of mod and maybe a lot of Power and than only PCI.. I think it is very useless, but... why not :topmodel:

Ich mag die Modifikation.

V5 5500 sind nicht soo selten, also wen interessierts ob eine davon gemoddet wird? Wenn ich alleine daran denke wie viele Karten Ihr Leben gelassen haben bei Sinnlosen OC Experimenten (auch hier im Forum) und auf BX Brettern welche mit FSB133 betrieben worden sind (ich sag hier jetzt keinen Namen) ;)

Ich glaube nicht das die Rev320 GPU´s besser performen, aber wer es mag. Der einzige Nachteil ist der PCI Anschluss. Was nutzt die ganze theoretische Power der GPU und vom Ram wenn es nur eine PCI Karte ist?

In Summe ziehmlich Nutzlos (gerade im Hinblick auf die Arbeit die da drin steckt) aber warum auch nicht? :topmodel:

• Immerhin laufen die 320er deutlich kühler und müssten sich auch besser overcl. lassen?

• I also rather like this Mod!
    I made much uglier 3dfx mods in my youth. Well, the cards were much cheaper back then. ;)

The backplate is a really good idea, because it stabilizes the easy flexing V5. Especially the PCI.

The best thing you can do with those old cards is to have fun with them. If it is not by playing the same old games over and over again, it is by modding them.
    Those cards are not so rare. There is probably a higher percentage of all 3dfx cards still around, than many of the other cards from those times.
    It's just that there are much more people collecting them now.

Just think about it: I would guess that 99% of all the 3dfx cards sold on ebay in the last 10 years are still around. Because only crazy people like us would buy them.
    It's just that few will sell them again. Like us.

Well, I've sold many of my cards. I dont like sitting on a chest full of (for me) useless cards, other people might still enjoy.
    One or two of each are enough and more then I'll ever use again.

PS. My V5 PCI is running on its own pci-66 bus for itself. According to Final Reality it doesn't even use the whole bandwidth of that bus. 170MB/s in 2D and only 151MB/s in 3D.

Come to the dark side, we have cookies!

• Sounds like an intresting thing to check out. Personally i dont think that 66mhz PCI will be any bottlenack, but i dont have anything to base it on. The AGP 4x is after all 4 times faster, even tho thers no agp textureing.
    The bus have always have a little to say. Made the same test with my Titan X.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPUr_ZIBOUU

Anyway, lets find out. Have both a unmodified AGP and PCI card that i can try out with.

------ EDIT --------

RaVeNsClaw

Sorry, you posted your reply whule i wrote mine, so didnt see your response before now. Happy that you like the backplate, if you want one for free just say it. Made two of them, where this second one didnt turn out perfect. But will still look nice and fit, will just have to extend a few of the holes a little bit, but it wont be seen when the screws is in place.

Yes, normally is the PCI interface not a bottleneck. Would also like to do some testing on it, sounds intresting.

"Why so serious!"

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ketfri8002 (26. Juli 2016 um 17:13)

• Thanks for the offer, but there is no need. I can easily make one myself. ;)
    I would even bend the backplate upwards, so that I can screw it to the case like slot bracket in the slot above the V5. ;)
    That way the card would be held in place by the backplate without stress to the PCI Slot.

Come to the dark side, we have cookies!

• That Backplate would be a good idea for Voodoo5 6000's as well then since theyare even longer and have an even greater chance of flexing the PCB... good idea this :)
    Also the main reason why EVGA makes these Backplates as they call them, even that is an incorrect naming actually, the backplate is the retention bracket rofl, I guess they had to come up with something so media readers would get it.
    A funny odd thought I kind of wanted to share :)

This V5 PCI you have does look nice, but benchmarks are useless imo we all know how a 5500 PCI performs, games say much more on how a card performs.
    The last good 3D Mark was 2001 SE after that it was nothing but over commercialized garbage.

But anyways that is just my thoughts of it all.
    Just run Fire6.exe for 24 hours and of that doesn't crash you are in good hands :)
    Hank got me that program to stable test my 3dfx ES cards when I had them back in the day, here it is if you need it:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8032364/Fire6.exe

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (3. September 2016 um 23:12)