Custom Voodoo 1 with 2x TMUs and SLI capabilities

• dr.zeissler:
    Für weniger Abwärme bräuchte man einen neuen Chip. Das wäre nicht bezahlbar. :P
    Es gibt kleine Voodoo 1 Karten, wie die Orchid und die Skywell Magic 3D (meine Lieblings V1).

Come to the dark side, we have cookies!

• I for one would be much more interested in the V1 SLI with two TMUs and 10MB than in a V56k relaunch.
    I have absolutely no idea about realistic pricing for such a card but if it was somewhat reasonable I'd be very interested in buying two and also support a kickstarter campaign.

Also a successful V1 relaunch might help with generating faith in a V56k relaunch and probably greatly benefit a V56k kickstarter campaign.

Whatever comes out of this even in its current state this is an extremely cool project and I envy Anthony for being able to create such a card. :respekt:

• I like this V1 project, but a v56k is a total different story. Just remember how hard it was to find the SLI signaling problem... so sightly changes on the layout could cause massive issues.

Personal wishlist:
    I'd like to see a FPGA based solution for V1/V2 chipset with an integrated 2D part.

• OT on taking 3dfx cards to newer Platforms like PCI-e:
    One important argument was left out so far: More and more MB/GPUs and HDD bein 3dfx/Win9x compatible will die due to aging of mechanics, chips and irreplacable ICs. This started already 10 years ago with dwelling Elkos and coils on V56k, that conspirators might link to planned obszolescence.
    I know that the 3dfx GPU itself and TMU are still comparably low density chips (like the 486 that are used in ISS) and very resistant, but physical forces kill them sooner or later. We are talking of almost 20y even for the younger cards, times when i changed my hardware more often than my underwear, but rarely kept it for more than 2y :hre: . So a bit development of HW and SW onto newer platforms is in my eyes a great opportunity and also ensures keeping this community dreaming. And also most of us kind of made careers now to support possible projects with some prof. knowledge and also reject BS from the beginning on.
    my 2 cents

• very nice.

before everyone focus on a V5 6000 rebuild. Can we finish this V1 project first please? :D

Im really interestet in buying two of them :)

And exactly in this nice green pcb. I´m bored off all those red, black and blue coloured projects.

I agree with that, love your V1 SLI Project! :spitze:

Own myself a 100SB, but its not in working condition. It would be nice have something with the same performance working...

Edit: would buy two cards too

3dfx für die Ewigkeit...und noch viel viel weiter :topmodel:

Suche....

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Wild_Bill (4. März 2018 um 03:26)

• heh. i thought about some insane colors. like white )

the main problem with v56k is poor layout, there some traces must be equal lenght. aalchemy has good design by default. although i suspect that the sli connection on aalchemy is differs from v56k. or even there may be no sli connections at all. anyway inline placement for vsa chips is not a good idea. there should be symmetrical layout for optimum signalling. also may exist some impedance quirks

i understand, your guys, desire to see reasonable prices on this v1. this could be achieved by automatic assembly. post your thoughts about market demands for this product

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Anthony (5. März 2018 um 17:02)

• If we can pull that off, call me in for two as well :)
    Love this project.

Voodoo-Kiste (seit 3dfx BayernLAN 2007):
    TUSL2-C, P3-S 1400, 512MB SDR, Voodoo 5 5500 AGP, 9,1GB IBM SCSI (OS), 40GB HDD (Games), Adaptec 2940-U2W SCSI
    Dualatin: GA-6VTXD, 2x P3-S 1400, 1GB SDR, 2x 60GB, Hercules Radeon 8500 128MB

Work (CG): MSI TRX40 Creator, AMD TR 3970X, 128GB RAM, Titan RTX 24GB, Win10Pro

Zock & Office: MSI X58 Pro-E, Xeon X5680 4,2GHz, 24GB RAM, RX590 8GB, KDE Neon

• Ehm... where's this "200 cards" idea now coming from?
    I can't see that there's an official inquiry for potential customers or a given amount that has to be reached.

If this is going to be a thing I'm might be interested. But I needs to be set up in a proper way, also with a more or less accurate expectation on the pricetag.

• I will take two if I can afford them. I have no idea what price to expect though. ?(
    As a student buying cool stuff like this is always a question of price so is there at least a chance for a rough estimate?

• I'm also in for two cards.

Ehm... where's this "200 cards" idea now coming from?

Thats a good question...

is there at least a chance for a rough estimate?

That would be very interesting.

3dfx SYSTEME (Silent/low Noise) Windows 98 SE:

QDI Legend V2200 AGP +Diamond Monster 3D +Videologic Apocalypse 3Dx | ASUS P2B-B | PII 450 | 128MB | 32GB CF
    Matrox G400 MAX +Matrox m3D +Orchid Righteous 3D² SLI | ASUS P3B-F | PIII 1100 | 256MB | 8GB CF
    Voodoo 5 5500 AGP | ASUS TUSL2-M | PIII-S 1400 | 256MB | 120GB SSD
    Voodoo 5 5500 AGP | EPoX EP-8K5A3+ | AthlonXP 3000+ | 512MB | 16GB CF |

• As with any other custom product, end price depends on quantities. By showing interest in this thread, this doesn't obligate you in any way buying, but might help Anthony by showing him a rough estimation about quantity. When he has the numbers, then it will be easier to make a rough estimation about price. Then some people won't like the price and will give up, so the quantities will change, respectively the price will change, and so on... until at some point the project gets build (if enough people want it), or it gets pointless and we move on.
    So to spare any further questions - price is unknown at this point, but by showing interest, a rough estimation could be made later on, which doesn't force you to buy if you don't like the price.

• by showing him a rough estimation about quantity

correct. i have to estimate estimated estimation. anyway, have strong doubts about quantity more than 50-60 units. feel free to express your opinions about product pricing