Having hard time running new VA website on my 3dfx PC's

• Hey all :)

it seems that the new forum software does not like our beloved 3dfx gaming PC's when using a 17" CRT like my 3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP , PCI Mac & Obsidian2 X-24 systems.

Especially when using Win2K Pro or older the new forum software hangs alot, as with the old forum there was not one issue at all.

If any of you could tell me in English how to solve this, that would be helpful

Many thanks 8)

• Hi!

You've probably already read those two topics: Neues Zertifikat, neuer Server und DSGVO and va-classic: Eine Lösung, um VoodooAlert mit klassischerem Layout zu betreiben . They're in German, I know. To shorten things: Ernesto had to use a new software to make the board match some new laws and also for safety means.

Now, to your setup: Which browser(s) do you use? I mainly use Firefox ESR and SR Iron under Windows XP and XP x64. I'm not quite sure if there even _is_ a browser that would work fine with this board under Windows 2000. Did you try the latest Firefox for Windows 2000?

GAT wrote a .css - File that is used by a plugin for Firefox and Chromium, I guess (second link above). It makes the whole board at least look better. Just in case you want to have that...

I hope I could help you at least a litte. And also that I didn't write anything incorrect.

• If you have performance issues on very old machines, you cannot solve them in any satisfying way. Period. If you're already using the fastest possible browser on your operating system, there really isn't much more you can do. You could switch off JavaScript of course, as that would yield some improvement, but this'll also break most oft the sites' functionality (as with pretty much any modern website). It may even render it unreadable.

If you have issues with the waste of space by the visual design, and you don't mind some fooling around, you could try my [VA-Classic] modification, which relies on the Stylish extension. In essence, you'd install that extension, download the CSS stylesheet and copy its text contents into the CSS field of Stylish. That too, however, relies on a modern enough browser (I think). I can currently only support Stylish on Firefox-like browsers and Chromium browsers. I have NOT tested this stuff with very old browsers (oldest: FF 38). Chromium especially is *known* to have issues rendering my CSS in versions before 65.

Opera 12.xx and earlier are not and never will be supported due to JavaScript incompatibilities on a catastrophic level (that applies to the forum as-is as well as to my VA-Classic mod, that simply cannot fix the problems of Presto engine browsers, as it's pure CSS, not JS).

Be aware that if you have a browser where Stylish allows you to set a target URL on the GUI itself, you'd need va-classic-for-stylish≥3.css (the file names are a bit confusing, please ignore that). If you have a version of the Stylish extension that does NOT allow you to set the target URL on the GUI, you'd need va-classic-for-stylish≤2.css.

Please also refer to the screenshots in that thread so you understand what I mean by "set a target URL on the GUI".

Unfortunately, there is nothing other than that that I can do at the moment. As a matter of fact, my solution may not even apply to your browsers.

Win 2000 and older are... well, extremely old, so I cannot tell whether your browsers can handle the JavaScript of this forum or whether a Stylish extension still exists for you and if yes whether your browser will render my (partly modern) CSS code somewhat properly.

No warranties! As said, it's completely untested on very old browsers. And it's NOT going to make your experience faster, just slightly more visually appealing, if it works that is.

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

Stolzer Besitzer eines 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP Prototypen:

• 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP HiNT Rev.A-3700

[//wp.xin.at] - No RISC, no fun!

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

Quote Bier.jpg@IRC 2020: "Je schlimmer der Fetisch, desto besser!"

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von GrandAdmiralThrawn (28. Mai 2018 um 21:21)

• Yeah well I use old operating systems on my old systems I don't see the point on using a new gen OS or browser as they are not made to run such things.

I'll just use my new gen Opterons for VA, all what you explained is pretty much abracadabra for me, sorry there :X

It's just a major loss for us retro users that a retro forum is "forced" to use new gen software due to law aspects /rules etc, even that it won't run great on the retro hardware the forum is actually about and for, just a major loss.

As for my Win2K Systems they do run the latest stable version of Mozilla Firefox x86 version 12.0 :)

• It's not only because of the GDPR, another reason is, that the old forum software is EOL and thus no security fixes are avaible anymore.

Could you please test if Firefox 12 works with the new forum software?

regards

soggi

• Firefox 12 works but it's extremely laggy, that is because of the P3/E 650 CPU I am using now with it's S3 Savage 2000 AGP 32MB.

I get the same laggy performance with the AthlonXP 2700+ and it's Voodoo5 5500 AGP 64MB.

Both systems have Win2K Pro + SP4 UK and Firefox 12.0

I can make posts and read but it's as if everything is magnified or something, it seems this new forum software dorssn't like low resolutions xD

When I go to options with both systems I can click it but then it just hangs and does nothing could be I am lacking some sort of otpimized drivers or program.

Hmm dunno tho or these retro CPU's are just not okay with the new gen website software they are facing.

I had to post with my new gen system, even I typed this message ion my P3/E 650 with the S3 Savage 2000, I wanted to press reply but it hanged and did nothing.

Will test with the AthlonXP 2700+ just gotta set it up.

• Okay posting with the AXP 2700+ and it's V5 5500 AGP didn't work either, yet the system was faster with the site.

Pressing reply or preview locked up firefox 12.0 and crashed it I think it's too obsolete to get max unctions out of it, but anyways I did manage to make the scrolling more doable in a way, by pressing in CTRL and then scrolling out with the mouse wheel I managed to make the website overview smaller :)

Reading what it read was harder but scrolling around went lots faster.

Normal view:
    http://abload.de/img/normalmodevao0ucw.jpg

Options doesn't function or display properly in normal mode

http://abload.de/img/optionsnofunctioninnoevuny.jpg

Zoomed out view, the site is more viewable but hardly readable:

http://abload.de/img/zoomedoutvau8u99.jpg

And in zoomed out mode controls do function:
    http://abload.de/img/zoomedoutvacontrolsdonxufp.jpg

But then again pressing preview & reply still don't function and I am forced to use my new gen system only to post here.

• OK this sounds and looks like my experiences with Safari 5.1...Opera 12.18 looks much better but most of the links are unclickable.

Sorry to hear that, I'm also torn regarding the new forum software.

regards

soggi

• Yeah it happens I guess, then again 2CPU.com is using software from 1999 and we don't plan on changing it, a shame that Germany has such regulations even on the other behalf it's kind of understandable.

If you guys need help testing things I am willing to help out there tho :)
    What I will do is test my Windows XP Systems the Dual P3/EB 1Ghz with the Matrox parhelia AGP 256MB DDR & PC flashed V5 5500 PCI Mac, just tos ee how the Parhelia & V5 PCI Mac do with WinXP pro and this new forum software , WinXP may make the worthy difference and that can be a solution for some V5 users here.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (29. Mai 2018 um 05:51)

• Using outdated software is never a good idea, in general - especially while operating a website. Despite that I'm using WinXP @Embedded POSReady 2009 for daily operation, knowing the risks.

WinXP is still doing well with the new forum software.

regards

soggi

• Yeaps just updated to Firefox 48.0.2 and all clear sailing here well with bthe Parhelia, gonna test the V5 Mac :)

Just to see if the graphics card too can make a difference :)

• Ah yes this works fine as well :) So yeaps Opterating system isone cause the other the over outdated version of Firefox, at least V5 XP users can now feel more at ease, XP Pro + SP3 and V5's run this site just fine, even it's laggy it does work, so for what it's worth well worth finding out and nailing the issue at hand.

Hereby I would like to thank everyone that replied and tried to aid me with the issue :)

• At least member states of the EU. I don't think others would be affected, at least not directly.

Gold Leader: I did my best (which isn't perfect of course) to fix the design up for lower res displays as an additional option for users to pick if they like, but as said, nothing I can do for the performance or basic incompatibility (where present). :(

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

• BTW: Gold Leader: As I mentioned before: Under Windows XP, you can use FireFox 52.8.0 (32-Bit) Extended Support Release, for instance. It is currently still kinda updated (!) until August 21, 2018, as I believe to read. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

In addition, the Stylish - Extension (I called it a plugin before, still not sure what the difference is) runs on it and you can use GATs .CSS - File that makes the forum more readable.

• Plugins are dangerous, native binary code (as in .exe or .dll) that are harder to lock into a jail and pose a more serious security risk. This is also why the Mozilla foundation gradually stopped supporting them in the NPAPI context and ultimately disabled them altogether with Firefox 52+ (although 52 ESR can still use them).

Extensions are modules made of data (like images, textual content in XML, styles in CSS) and JavaScript code. Thus, extensions can be controlled by the security the browser implements for JavaScript, and are more easily "locked in", without the capability to exploit vulnerabilities outside of the web browser.

That's how I understand it at least.

In essence: Plugins are binary machine code, Extensions are JavaScript code.

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von GrandAdmiralThrawn (29. Mai 2018 um 11:15)

• Didn't say it wasn't. But it's still not *as* problematic. ;)

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

• Ugh I'll just deal with what it is, I rarely use my retro systems for internet but then again it was worth fnding out, now I just have more clarity :)

But nothing is lost, it was worth finding out as my Win2K systems went.

But hey at 2CPU.com we are glad that our site still has the software from 1999 <3

http://forums.2cpu.com/

my friend HEMI is owner of it now and I am one of their mods, as for new members goes well since our software is from September 05, 1999, new members we add manually.

So mostly they DM me their username & email address and I fast forward that to HEMI and he makes their accounts , all they have to do is login and reset their own passwords for themselves and yeah this works.

It's just not all too attractive for new members and we know that, so yeah we kind of became a closed group, but if people are willing to join the manual method is the only way how, it does keep the spammers at bay as well so yeah there are upsides to somethings, my V5 systems run this site perfectly.