Avenger M99 Gets an Upgrade from P3/E 650 to P3/EB 933!

• Many thanks to my friend Declan from 2CPU Hardware & VGA cards & x-3dfx for helping me out by removing the oem heatsink and it's horrendous clips xD

At first I was lost but thanks to his advice I was able to remove the default clips with my Facom Pliers, even they ended up in a million shards :topmodel:

The Golden Orb, a gift Kasper gave me <3 has been placed on the p3/EB 933 by myself, wasn't too hard actually, Intel could of made it that simple over those horrendous clips ergh...

So this is how the P3/EB 933 came to me from Germany was a nice fond for 45 euro, these seem to be quite rare as I have been reading and hearing.

Here the rear side showing those terrible clips:

Here the indication of it being a real P3/EB 933Mhz CPU with 256KB L2 Cache and a FSA of 133Mhz and CPU Voltage of 1.70 Volts.

So can't go wrong with that right :)
    Here the Thermaltake Golden Orb for S.E.C.C.2 Slot 1 aka for Intel Pentium !!!:

Rear side:

And yeah that looks much more user friendly, especially when it comes to mounting and demounting it.

Intel could of used this method as well would of saved them and their buyers lots of troubles.

Here the Golden Orb with the P3/EB 933:

Here P3/EB 933 with it's oem heatsink removed and it's Coppermine EB Die cleaned

And here the Thermaltake Golden Orb for S.E.C.C.2 Slot 1 P3 CPU's mounted to my P3/EB 933 & Noctua NH-! thermal paste I used:

Top view:

Rear view:

More pics will be added as this project moves along so stay tuned :)

• Here I set the CPU speed by setting the CPU Multiplier at 7.0 and the FSB at 133Mhz, resulting 932Mhz.

It's pure guess work for me, as my theory is that this would make a P3/EB 933 doable with the EPoX EP-BX3, just by adding simple logics.

The 133Mhz FSB jumper is the bottom one it's not readable due to the photo's angle.

Here the P3/EB 933 with it's Golden Orb in place:

System Layout:

VGA & Sound input cables:

PSU placed:

System ready for test run:

Hold on to your Butts I'm like xD

Specs:

---------------------------------------

Avenger M99

---------------------------------------

Intel Pentium !!!/E 933Mhz Coppermine S.E.C.C. 2 / Slot 1 @ 932Mhz --> 700Mhz.

3x 128MB PC-133 CL3 Samsung Original

EPoX EP-BX3 Intel BX440 Chipset

Diamond Multimedia Viper II Z200 AGP 32MB 128Bit SDR [S3 Savage 2000 AGP 32MB]

Quantum3D Obsidian2 X-24 PCI 24MB 384Bit Edo

Intel Pro 100/S Desktop Adapter

Philips FM/AM Radio Card 8Bit ISA

Creative Labs AWE64 Gold CT4390

Samsung 3.5" Floppy Drive

LG 40x/16x CD/DVD RW-Drive

1x Maxtor Diamond Max 9+ 40GB ATA 100

1x Maxtor Diamond Max 9+ 25GB ATA 100

Windows 2000 Professional UK + Service Pack 4

Latest S3 Savage 2000 Drivers for Win2K

Latest Quantum 3D Obsidian2 Drivers For Win2K from NuAngel's aka Garrett 'Tuna' Culver Archive

So lets see how this goes :)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (1. August 2018 um 19:32)

• really nice machine there! I like every Single Bit of Hardware in there 8)

The only odd thing is the Radio card - why is that in there? Do you actually listen to the Radio on the machine? :D :spitze:

And definitely a good choice to go for a faster p3, both the savage as well as the x24 can do more than the 650mhz p3 is able to push out of them :)

I hope everything runs well!

• The Pentium III with 133 FSB is a great choice. I see it on my own, a Pentium III with 100 MHz FSB is far slower than the 133 FSB Version.

And the processor can feed the Quantum Voodoo2 SLI with enough power to increase the FPS.

I'm looking Forward, how this mashine goes.

I've been looking for over a year for the Golden Orb, you lucky guy. :)

glidegallery <-- meine Voodoo Gallery [Domain 壊れてる]

• Many thanks for your kind words Tweakstone & MadYoshi <3

Well I got the CPU running at 700 Mhz as a P3/E 700, but the FSB 133 isn't working Either I need a modified Bios for the EPoX BX3 Ver 1.1 for FSB P3/EB 933-1Ghz support or I would need an other motherboard entirely.

As CPU-ID shows rofl

ANy idea's? kinda lost here, even tho I am happy my CPU does work.

As for the TT Golden orb for Slot1 P3, Kasper gifted me it after I gifted him the three EVGA GTX 480 Backplates , 2 with the GTX 480's I sold him and the 3rd from the GTX 480 ES, tthat with two EVGA GTX 580 Back Plates, he gifted me his Thermaltake Golden Orb and his ATi Radeon 9700 pro and a HD 7970, what friends do <3

@ Tweakstone

As that Radio card goes, it's my dad's old FM/AM Radio card it seems to work but I need an antenna for it and drivers I think, and so far no luck with that, it's from 1995 as well a true classic, would be fun if I could find a way to use it :)

Also ideal if you are on a LAN and you wanna listen to some Radio stations you just can since Internet won't be of need haha xD Oiiiiiyyyy :topmodel:

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (1. August 2018 um 18:54)

• The EPoX EP-BX3 is a board based on Intels' i440BX Seattle chipset, which does not officially support 133MHz FSB, so even if the CPU selects FSB133, the board won't do it automatically, as this violates Intels' specifications. To run the board at the desired front side bus speed, you need to manually overclock it to 133MHz FSB, like in the BIOS of the board.

Please note that at FSB133, you can run the PCI bus system at its proper clock speed if the BIOS allows setting the 1/4 multiplier for the PCI. The AGP bus however will always be overclocked at FSB133, and it will sit at 133 × 2/3 = 88.7MHz. Note, that the SDRAM clock speed will also scale with the FSB, so you'll need PC133 SDRAM. If you only have PC100 modules. they'll be overclocked as well.

So essentially, to run your CPU at stock speed, you need to overclock your chipset, potentially your RAM and also your AGP bus. If you don't want that, you'd need to pick a chipset that supports 133MHz FSB officially, like the i815 Solano or i820 Camino.

PS.: Still my favorite Voodoo² card of all time! ;)

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

Stolzer Besitzer eines 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP Prototypen:

• 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP HiNT Rev.A-3700

[//wp.xin.at] - No RISC, no fun!

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

Quote Bier.jpg@IRC 2020: "Je schlimmer der Fetisch, desto besser!"

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von GrandAdmiralThrawn (1. August 2018 um 19:36)

• Same here, yet X-24 has become my most loved and faved Voodoo of all time tho

It's a high praised gift from venturi from 2CPU.com after the 3dfx info I provided him as well as many other members at 2CPU forums :)

And gaming with the X-224 I just don't want anything else, I sold all my other 3dfx and non 3dfx hardware to a x-3dfx member and friend from South Australia incl my V5's the X-24 is it all for me so I decided to upgrade this system with the P3/EB 933 and the Golden Orb and a nice Adaptec Dual ATA 133 PCI card.

I don't want Sata in here since I want to maintain it's retro feel to it.
    As i440BX goes, I seen many runs FSB 133 CPU's in them as well as 1400Mhz Tualatins.

The Bios my board has doesn't come with an OC menu as far as I could tell tho I am pretty inexperienced with such things, if there are alternative Slot 1 solutions that have SDRAM and Slot 1 connectors I am willing to change the motherboard.

• Your EP-BX3 is a classic mainboard with no BIOS-level overclocking. Instead, you have to use jumpers, like in the good old days. ;) See the [manual], page 3-4, where it's explained. See page 3-2 for the location of the jumpers on that board. If you just change the FSB to 133MHz, you can't really damage anything, so you might as well just try it. Just use some PC133 SDRAMs, and it should work fine. If it does crash, it's probably because of the s3 AGP card. Not sure how much AGP clock it will tolerate, some cards can run with insanely overclocked AGP speeds, while others can't. But there should be very little risk involved.

There are alternatives of course. If you want Slot-1, then the easiest choice would probably be a i820 Rambus board, like the ASUS P3C-E. Even has an ISA slot still.

I'd try to push the BX board to 133MHz FSB though. Not too hard to do.

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

Stolzer Besitzer eines 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP Prototypen:

• 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP HiNT Rev.A-3700

[//wp.xin.at] - No RISC, no fun!

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

Quote Bier.jpg@IRC 2020: "Je schlimmer der Fetisch, desto besser!"

• I have the ASUS P3V4X in mind , they seem to support Slot 1 P3/EB's @ 933Mhz without issues chipset is the i815 so to see, well as this video showed me:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VkRS6r9Bcc

Imma just look around :)

For now I will enjoy the system with the CPU @ 700Mhz, I tried FSB @ 133 and Multiplier at 6.5 & 7.0 and no go, but 7.0 x 100 worked so yeah gonna use it like this for now and seek a replacement for the motherboard :)

• Avenger :) Many thanks man, same here, 1995 to 1999 were the best of 3dfx days imo, Voodoo2 SLI was their best achievement ever imo and Quantum3D perfected that ina an all in one solution with their Obsidian2 X-24 the ebst Voodoo card ever made.

I got bored of the Voodoo5 cards had em all V45 5000 AGP, PCI, 5500 AGP, PCI, PCI-Mac & 6000 AGP, great cards and easy to use, but the x-24 has more nostalgic feels attached to it, thus my choice as faved 3dfx card of all time.

Here a video of it playing music and it's P3/EB 933Mhz CPU running @ 700Mhz:
    https://youtu.be/b6umlpZAckc

Music is from Mr.Review a Dutch SKA Band :)

• GrandAdmiralThrawn is absolutely right. You have to overclock the chipset to run the CPU with a 133 MHz FSB. You can first try 110 MHz and then gradually increase to 133. Your board supports the settings 66/100/110/124/133.

I also believe that you have a newer revision of the board. The Manual from GAT has Rev. 1.0 and divides the FSB steps into 66/100/103/112/124/133. This one has the Rev. 3.2 [Link] and is also consistent with your photo from above.

But I would try everything without the Quantum3D, so as not to break anything. Since the PCI bus is overclocked with. As GAT already wrote. How much, you see in the manual.

Here is a helpful link around the BX chipset [CPU Guide] and [RAM Guide]. Although this is about the P2B-DS but useful information can still be. If you have reached a FSB of 133, the PCI bus will run normally at 33 MHz. The AGP bus remains overclocked. Here you have to be careful, that also joins the graphics card. This information could be helpful, here [Graphic BX440]. A G2-G4 or FX should be run stable with an AGP bus of 89 MHz.

Which Bios version does your Epox Board have? Yesterday I found a BIOS file from your board.

Edit:

This is tha last Bios Version, which i found. It is from 20.09.2000. [Link]

(Firefox reports that it's a virus. It is probably due to the archive format. I checked it with virustotal.com, it is ok.)

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von MadYoshi (2. August 2018 um 18:50)

• Hmm lovely info there yet I'm an utter n00b when it comes to OCing it's not something I got in to doing, now owning a P3/EB 933Mhz CPU Looks like I have to find a mobo that nativily supports it all what you told me doesn't say me much sorry :X My Dyslexia doesn't help me understand such things either

I am also far too faint of heart to do such things I can't afford replacing rare stuff that dies on me, not going to be worth it for me thus not a solution, i815 is what I need and amobo that AGP x2/x4 4 to 5x PCI slots and 2 ISA slots. EPoX, A-Open, ASUS, ABiT it's all welcome as well for other brands.

Yet the ASUS P3V 4X does seem to support P3/EB 933 Mhz CPU natively, which has the i815 chipset, even though I hope there are more choices.

• That's really difficult. The ONLY board known to me with Intel 815 chipset and slot 1 is the Abit SH6.

As for the 820 chipset, there is more choice. For example, the P3C series from ASUS. (P3C-E, P3C-L, P3C-LS, P3C-S, P3C2000) For the search for motherboards I often use this old page: motherboard.cz There you will find many more. Under Chipset -> "Intel 810 815 820 and other" or Socket / Slot -> Slot 1. The lists are not always complete.

The only thing I could find on ebay under 50 euros, is this: Gigabyte GA-6CXC But the price is actually too high, I think. You can set up on ebay a few permanent searches and hope that something appears in the bay.

• Well I decided to grab one of these :)

ASUS P3C4X :)

it was the VIA Apollo Pro 133A Chipset :)
    That should do considerabally well :)
    https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-…-pro133a/specs/

That board will do me lots of good for my main 3Dfx gaming PC, Powered by Quantum 3D's Obsidian2 X-24 <3

GrandAdmiralThrawn I get why you love this card, it really runs everything just fine xD Oiiiyyyy
    And just how it looks I love it, best Voodoo of my entire experience and yes I love it more than the Voodoo5 6000 I had, Quantum3D Always had that different design from everything else yet very professionally looking as well, this X-24 gave me a fantastic experience , one I'll never let go of.

Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II one of my most loved games on this system :)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (3. August 2018 um 00:21)

• Today I gave that X-24 system a 5 Port NEC USB 2.0 PCI card and a rarer variant of the AWE64 Gold the CT4540, the silent refresh of the more common model the CT4390.

This system is roughly 19 years and 3 months old, still running :)
    The CPU I replaced witha P3/EB 933Mhz the previous was a P3/E 650Mhz
    The new Mobo will either be VIA APollo Pro 133 A based or Intel i815 Based, both are welcome, both have native support for P3/EB Coppermine 133Mhz FSB Support and tend to be P3/S Tualatin friendly as well.

Intel i440BX does go higher than 700Mhz to 800Mhz 100Mhz FSB, due to Intel restriction limits.

Here a few pics of the system, the case will also be changed to an A-Open H600-B case, so the PSU is up tops in the case and not covering the CPU as here:

I will post pics after I have built this over in the newer case :)

As I want to be prepared for the 3dfx LAN I will be going ton on November 23-25 later this year :topmodel:
    This will be the system I am using and hopefully by then also have obtained an i815 or VIA Apollo Pro 133 A based motherboard to fulfill the P3/EB 933's max speed and performance instead of 700Mhz it is doing now 8)

• I have set up a list of motherboards for your search that support a 133MHz FSB and the Coppermine CPU.

I hope that helps with your search and also others who want to build a Slot 1 system with 133 FSB, without overclocking.

AC61 Shuttle Slot 1 Intel 820
    AV61 Shuttle Slot 1 VIA Apollo Pro 133
    AV64 Shuttle Slot 1 VIA Apollo Pro 133A
    WinneX 2E QDI Slot 1 Intel 810E
    WinneX 3E QDI Slot 1 Intel 810E
    CenturieX 1 QDI Slot 1 Intel 820
    Advance5-133 QDI Slot 1 VIA Apollo Pro 133
    Advance5-133E QDI Slot 1 VIA Apollo Pro 133
    AX63 Pro AOpen Slot 1 VIA Apollo Pro 133
    AX64 Pro AOpen Slot 1 VIA Apollo Pro 133A
    MX64 AOpen Slot 1 VIA Apollo Pro 133A
    AX6C AOpen Slot 1 Intel 820
    AX6C-L AOpen Slot 1 Intel 820
    CT-6ATA4 Chaintech Slot 1 VIA Pro 133
    WB6 ABIT Slot 1 Intel 810E
    SH6 ABIT Slot 1 Intel 815E
    CX6 ABIT Slot 1 Intel 820
    EP-6CXA2C EPOX Slot 1 Intel 820
    EP-6VBA EPOX Slot 1 VIA Apollo Pro133
    EP-6VBA2 EPOX Slot 1 VIA Apollo Pro 133A
    GA-6WXM-e Gigabyte Slot 1 Intel 810E
    GA-6WXM Gigabyte Slot 1 Intel 810E
    GA-6CX Gigabyte Slot 1 Intel 820
    GA-6CXC Gigabyte Slot 1 Intel 820
    P3W-E ASUS Slot 1 Intel 810E
    P3C2000 ASUS Slot 1 Intel 820
    P3C-E ASUS Slot 1 Intel 820
    P3C-L ASUS Slot 1 Intel 820
    P3C-LS ASUS Slot 1 Intel 820
    P3C-S ASUS Slot 1 Intel 820
    P3V133 ASUS Slot 1 VIA Apollo Pro133A
    P3V4X ASUS Slot 1 VIA Apollo Pro133A
    P6IC-A+ ECS Slot 1 Intel 820
    P6Pro-A+ TEKRAM Slot 1 VIA Apollo Pro 133
    PRM-0080I V133 DTK Computer Slot 1 VIA Apollo Pro 133
    PRM-92V E0 DTK Computer Slot 1 VIA Apollo Pro 133
    SG-APP133A Supergrace Slot 1 VIA Apollo Pro133
    SL-67EV1 SOLTEK Slot 1 VIA Apollo Pro 133
    SL-67FV1 SOLTEK Slot 1 VIA Apollo Pro 133
    SL-67FV1+ SOLTEK Slot 1 VIA Apollo Pro 133
    SL-67JV SOLTEK Slot 1 VIA Apollo Pro 133A
    SL-67KV SOLTEK Slot 1 VIA Apollo Pro 133A
    SL-67G64e SOLTEK Slot 1 Intel 810E
    SL-67G64+ SOLTEK Slot 1 Intel 820
    SL-67K SOLTEK Slot 1 Intel 820
    SL-67K-2 SOLTEK Slot 1 Intel 820
    SY-6ICA SOYO Slot 1 Intel 820
    WS133 IWILL Slot 1 Intel 810E

• Wow Many thanks I found a well tested and good looking ASUS P3V 4X and I bought it in The Netherlands as well for 65 Euro, worth it for me:
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/2733906868…em=273390686881

This is just perfect!

Here a video of an ASUS P3V 4X owner running his P3/EB 933 in it without issues:
    https://youtu.be/b6umlpZAckc

this made me more determined to go with this board and none of the others, I think this system will bloom to life as well :)

• Something lovely arrived with the mail today :)

All meet the ASUS P3V 4X that has native P3/EB 933Mhz CPU support yaays! :spitze:

Gonna clean it up a bit before using it and this is the mobo I will be using for the VA 3dfx LAN end this year as well :)
    The PCB color also matched the Golden Orb I use for my P3/EB 933 :)

Thanks again to MadYoshi for the help, that list was of great aid indeed! :respekt:8)