Matrox Parhelia AGP Kompatibilität

• Eine Problem, das mich aktuell beschäftig, ist die Kompatibilität der Matrox Parhelia Karte zu AGP 2X. Genauer gesagt, kann die Karte mit 3,3V betrieben werden?

Hierzu habe ich nirgends verlässliche Informationen gefunden, da die Karte über all mit AGP 4X/8X beworben wird. Das erweckt bei mir den Verdacht, dass ich da nicht all zu viel Erfolg erwarten kann. Bei meiner Suche konnte ich folgende Varianten der Matrox Parhelia ausfindig machen:

PH-A128B

- AGP mit 2 Kerben

- 128MB

PH-A128R

- AGP mit 2 Kerben

- 128MB

PH-A256

- AGP mit 2 Kerben

- 256MB

Bei den oben aufgeführten Karten ist der AGP Port so ausgeführt, dass er ja eigentlich auch für AGP 2X verwendet werden kann. Doch stimmt das? Nicht das am Ende die Karte nur über die 1,5V Schiene versorgt werden kann und zweite Kerbe ist nur zum Schein da. Wie bei der ATI Fury MAXX oder den Kyro Karten, hier war das Problem nur umgekehrter Natur von 2X zu 4X.

Die folgenden Karten habe ich nur der Übersicht halber hinzugefügt, bei diesen steht zu 100% fest, dass diese nur AGP 4X/8X kompatibel sind.

PH-A8X128

- AGP mit einer Kerbe

- 128MB

PH-A8X256

- AGP mit einer Kerbe

- 256MB

glidegallery <-- meine Voodoo Gallery [Domain 壊れてる]

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von MadYoshi (10. August 2018 um 22:17)

• Dem [Vogons Wiki] nach zu urteilen gibt es 3.3V-kompatible Karten, und spätere Versionen, bei denen der 3.3V Support entfernt wurde. Ich gehe Mal davon aus, daß das Keying damit einhergeht, dann wären die universell ausgelegten Karten (also die mit 2 Kerben) wirklich 3.3V-fähig, und die anderen halt nicht.

All das ist aber nur eine blinde Mutmaßung meinerseits, basierend auf Infos aus'm Netz, also mit Vorsicht zu genießen.

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

Stolzer Besitzer eines 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP Prototypen:

• 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP HiNT Rev.A-3700

[//wp.xin.at] - No RISC, no fun!

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

Quote Bier.jpg@IRC 2020: "Je schlimmer der Fetisch, desto besser!"

• Oh MadYoshi I shall bring my entire Matrox Parhelia Gaming driver archive to the LAN for ya :)

I have collected all the drivers for these cards that run best with game :)

Also thanks for using my photo's for the PH-A128R & PH-A8X256 :topmodel: that's my table btw hah xD

• Warum schaust Du nicht einfach mal auf die Herstellerseite von Matrox. Die haben bis dato immer noch

Treiber- / Hanbuch-support. Evtl. kann man das Handbuch downloaden und es stehen da mehr Infos dazu

drinnen. Oder mal den Hersteller anschreiben...

• Moin!

Welche Parhelia ist eigentlich das Original von 2002, die PH-A128B? :/

Beste Grüße,
    Raff

that would be this one Raff: PH128R ;)

Matrox Parhelia AGP Universal 128MB 256Bit DDR Rev.A 2502

As you can see that card I had is a Rev.A 2502
    Meaning it was made during week 25 of year 2002 ;)

MadYoshi
    The PH128B you showed is from week 26, 2002, it's one week newer than my old PH-128R, could be a coincidence.
    Also I don't see anything different from the two either, I can look in to this though, should be a way to find this out I'm thinking.

Here a preview aka first look of the Matrox Parhelia, seems that the Preview Sample has a mustard kind of color, that the cards we have seen :)
    https://techreport.com/review/3735/fi…rhelia-512-gpu/

It was posted on July 25, 2002.

The one I am currently using now is this 256MB DDR model of that exact same design, which is this one

Matrox Parhelia AGP Universal 256MB 256Bit DDR Rev.A 5103

Only difference is that the ram is filled on the rear.

the most common 256MB models are the ones from 2004, these have an AGP x8 connector and also have an entirely different parts layout.
    Look closely and compare with the two above:

Matrox Parhelia AGP Universal 128MB 256Bit DDR Rev.A 4004

it's a much more dense design, smaller parts and such.

9 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (25. August 2021 um 07:52)

• Beside the Reef-Demo, where does this card shine? D3 etc. looked bad on this, earlier stuff can be run on older cards better too. Only WinXP perhaps 2K support (so no Win9x).

SNI-Scovery 212 AMD K6-2/450 CXT 128MB - PCI1 (Matrox-Mystique 4MB) - PCI2 (Soundblaster 128)

=> OS2/Warp3, AMIGA-OS 3.9, WIN95B , LINUX <=

• Is there a performance difference between cards with Universal AGP (e.g. Matrox Parhelia AGP Universal 256MB 256Bit DDR Rev.A 5103) and those with AGP x8 connector when used at AGP x2, AGP x4, or AGP x8 speed?

Ich werde mich von keinem einzzzigen Prozzzessor trennen.
    Jedoch lockt es mich beinahe, ihn Dir zu überlassen, nur um zu sehen, wie er Dich in den Wahnsinn treibt :evil:

Meine Begehren

• Is there a performance difference between cards with Universal AGP (e.g. Matrox Parhelia AGP Universal 256MB 256Bit DDR Rev.A 5103) and those with AGP x8 connector when used at AGP x2, AGP x4, or AGP x8 speed?

Zu universal kann ich dir nichts Konkretes sagen, jedoch ab AGP 4x macht es praktisch keinen Unterschied. Eher, dass spätere Revisionen ein bisschen mehr Takt haben. Die rangiert etwa auf Gf3/Radeon8500 Niveau. Spiele mit Texturen, die den AGP Bus in die Knie zwingen würden, scheitern bereits an der GPU selbst bzw. am Grafikspeicher. Denn auch wenn sich das Speicherinterface auf dem Papier gut liest im Vergleich zu den anderen Karten aus der Zeit, hatte Matrox keine technischen Kniffe, um die Speicherbrandbeite zu schonen (wie ATIs HyperZ usw.). Daher verpufften die dicken Eckdaten der Karte. So ein bisschen als würde man einen V8 Block in einen Smart stecken.

• What about good drivers for the Pharelia?

Best performing and most stable game driversfor the Parhelia AGP 128MB DDR& 256MB DDR's are the September 2003 drivers for WinXP Pro
    That would be these :)

You can grab my entire Parhelia Driver archive from here, this driver is also included btw :)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2lkvq52je13wcg/Parhelia%20Driver%20Archive.zip?dl=0

As a 3dfx fan I too envy the Matrox Parhelia some some years back I went hunting what drivers were actual made for this card, especially the gaming drivers, so for other Parhelia lovers out there I made that archive, enjoy :)

Parhelia's need more love imo <3

• All the Parhelia drivers perform comparable. I benched 3DM2001, Commanche Benchmark and UT2003 Demo and tested the above mentioned 1.5, the 1.9 from 2005, 1.12 from 2006 and 1.13 from 2007. The latest driver is slower than the 1.12 and 1.12 is also the fastest in most benches - but again - the differences are very small.

I would recommend to go with either the 1.12 (that's what I use) or the 1.13 since they should offer the best compatibility for games.

• All the Parhelia drivers perform comparable. I benched 3DM2001, Commanche Benchmark and UT2003 Demo and tested the above mentioned 1.5, the 1.9 from 2005, 1.12 from 2006 and 1.13 from 2007. The latest driver is slower than the 1.12 and 1.12 is also the fastest in most benches - but again - the differences are very small.

I would recommend to go with either the 1.12 (that's what I use) or the 1.13 since they should offer the best compatibility for games.

From all I know the latest driver doesn't have the same Control panel as the one I am using, so you can't seem top select certain3D modes, I wonder if there is a workaround for that.

• Yeah there was something about the latest driver.. I don't remember in detail but it could be you're right about that features are missing. Anyways, then I totally recommend the 1.12 version, I use it for years now and it workes perfectly (and should be the fastest by a very small margin).