Meet Firefox SMP 2018!

• Hey all :topmodel:

Finally I managed to complete my new fileserver & mini workstation system :)

This system has all the important backup files and other needed things, but it's also idea for network maintenance and for doing simply workloads in a very short time.

But it can also be used as a gaming system if I would ever hold a LAN party hence why I have that RX 580 in there.

Mostly the config was my idea and mainly did this as it's interesting hardware to use and Win10 Pro friendly, well if that ever will be of need I can upgrade all my three Opterons to Win10 Pro x64 UK without issues now.

So here the name & Specs of this beauty!

Firefox SMP 2018

1x 8 core AMD OpteronMP 6140 D1 Mangy Cours, 8xx 2.6Ghz 1x 10MB L3

1x Noctua NH-U9D0 A3 HSF

Supermicro H8SGL-B

4x 8GB PC3-12800 ECC Reg HP-Hynix Server Ram | 32GB DDDR3-1600 ECC Reg @ 1333Mhz

Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Radeon RX 580 Special Edition PCi-E 8GB 256Bit GDDR5

Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 PCI 64MB 128Bit XRAM

NEC ND-2500A DVD Re-Writer 8x/4x UATA-133

Western Digital 300GB/16MB Cache Velociraptor 10.000 RPM HDD

Western Digital 2TB/64MB Cache RAID Edition 4 Data Center Series 7.200 RPM HDD (Storage)

2x Intel 2000 MBit Ethernet RJ45 Lan Jacks

Silver Stone Strider Plus 850 WATT Modular PSU

Lian Li PC-7FN Midi Tower

Lian-Li W-LM2AB-1 Black Side Window Panel

2x 30 cm Blue CCFL's from Sharkoon

2x 30 cm Green CCFL's from Sharkoon

1x Blue Ledded Lian Li 120mm x 120mm x25mm Front Fan

1x Red /Blue /Green Ledded Antec Tri-Cool 120mm x 120mm x25mm Rear Fan

Windows 7 Professional x64 UK + Service Pack 1

AMD Catalyst Adrenalin 18.2.2 WHQL for Win7x64

Since the system is named Firefox, I gave it's Radeon drivers the Crimson colored theme :)

Well I did manage to get a nice color shot here:

So yes this upgrade has truly been worth every single bit, all this for just 717 Euro :spitze:

• Hey all :)

Got a little update here.

After finding this in my drawer, I decided to add it to Firefox SMP 2018 for it's Supermicro H8SGL-B :) Even it would not of mattered without it, just prefer a more finished look than some gaping hole behind the motherboard.

Here the system from the rear showing the backplate neatly in place:

here from the front:

and from the side:

And here an array of photo's of the system with the window kit removed:

Here my updated network of all three Opteron systems using Supermicro Motherboards and Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Radeon GCN based graphics cards:

An from the sides, all use CCFL's, some of these lamps are over 12 years old and they never have faded from their colors :)

As you can see there are no GeForce cards this time, just wanted to go AMD Radeons this run, not to worry this doesn't mean I am going to never buy a GeForce again, if I do it's always EVGA, you guys at least have great customer service and have always been helpful for me :) I just like trying out all kinds of things as many of you know here anyways :topmodel:

Anyways these Radeons are doing me lots of good currently and they do all what I need them to, yet I do find the image quality quite a margin better, especially when doing photography, video editing and Vulkan based games.

Mainly the sharpness and fidelity of the images displayed is better on Radeons than the GeForce cards I have used, I always prefer image quality over speed, even that others here prefer the opposite and that is all cool

After all we all have our own preferences and I respect that from all ends

The method I sued to find this out was use my GTX 1080 FTW2 on a HP ZR24w and my R9 Fury on the other ZR24w I had, both with the same monitor with the same default settings, I let one of the nurses here decide and then my parents they are utter n00bs with computers but photography were hobbies and professions they were good at and they could clearly tell that the system with the Radeon displayed sharper and warmer colors, but also with a greater image fidelity, even though I saw that as well.

Please note I have nothing against NVIDIA users here, it's all a very personal option to every users as this is my personal choice.

Also what one see's an other may see it from different viewpoints, so all cool with that.

Photography is a big thing for me as is video editing is for my Boeing 747 reviews I make for the Boeing 747 Fan Club and that of my diecast aircraft models of mainly Boeing 747's, SST's Tu-144's Concorde's and other SST based aircraft but MiG-29 Fulcrums as well.

Other than that these Opterons and their GCN based Radeons do well for what I use them for, most games I play use Vulkan API, OpenGL 4.5, DX 11 & DX 9.0c, the Vulkan based games and games that use Unity Engine love the multiple CPU's and cores so these systems all do greatly in those area's.

Anyways for now my upgrades have been made a success on my end and now it's back to collecting Boeing 747's :)