Marlon´s 3Dfx Build Thread

• Terspasser habe ich in summe 3x komplett (!) durchgezockt. Steht bei mir in der originalen Box, die ich damals zu Weihnachten bekommen habe. Ich liebe das Game! Ich musste es damals auf GF256 (Erazor X²) zocken und das ging relativ gut. Auf ner V1 möchte ich mir das nicht vorstellen :spitze:. Du hast nen Hang zum Masochismus, oder?

• Terspasser habe ich in summe 3x komplett (!) durchgezockt. Steht bei mir in der originalen Box, die ich damals zu Weihnachten bekommen habe. Ich liebe das Game! Ich musste es damals auf GF256 (Erazor X²) zocken und das ging relativ gut. Auf ner V1 möchte ich mir das nicht vorstellen :spitze:. Du hast nen Hang zum Masochismus, oder?

Haha das gefällt mir! Die Demo habe ich Dezember 98 von der PowerPlay hoch und runter gezockt. Ich war sofort geflashed! Die Physik hat mich umgehauen, sowie die Animation der Dinos. Alles auf einem PII350 und einer Riva128 mit gefühlten 10fps :topmodel:

Original habe ich das Spiel auch noch, Leider den coolen 3D Karton verloren.

Wie läuft das Spiel mit einer Gf256? Achso relativ gut ;) Das macht die Voodoo auch mit 640x480... subjektiv:P

• Nach gut zwei Monaten des probierens, habe ich mich zum Inhalt des 3Dfx Retro PC's endlich festgelegt.

Es wird das Original. :)

Hi Marlon,

this case you built is really beautiful! 8| :love: :thumbup:

But did you paint it?

Did you use a decal for the 3Dfx image on the side panel?

• Yes i used a custom printed decal for the side. :) i was tired of using windows and rgb lights. The rest of the Tower is painted.

Iam a bit proud that someone like it.

Thank You! ;)

Really, really well done!:thumbup:

I think I steal the idea for my next job, is that a problem for you? :saint:

• Das neue Herzstück für mein Voodoo PC konnte ich heute beim Zoll abholen.

Anthonys Version vom 3dfx Voodoo Graphics. Damit gibt's jetzt SLI auch mit dem SST-1 gepaart mit jeweils fetten 8MB Texturspeicher und zweiter TMU.:)

Das PCB im matten Schwarz sieht sehr Edel aus, die Kühler sind sauber geklebt, samt flotter 100MHz EDO Speicher.

Freu mich schon diese Biester zu verbauen. :spitze:

• Those are really nice two 10Meg V1's in SLI that isn't something you'd see everyday super nice!

Makes me wonder if you can use 1024x768x16 with a pair of those as you can do with 2x V2 8/12 MB cards.

Maybe a benchmark of how two of these go against 2x V2 12Mb's or a X-24?

• I did not try yet. With 2x2 MB for Framebuffer, i would say that 1024x768 is not possible.

But i did some little benches ;)

A single 10MB Voodoo1 with 2 TMU´s runs 50% faster in Q2 (30->45) and Q3(20->30). And in SLi Configuration more than 100% with a PII450. (Q2 66fps)

In UT99 there is no impact anymore if you set worldtexture detail from mid to high. :spitze:

Iam very happy with these card´s, of course they are pricy (you can get a RTX2080) But im fine, i think a had now the perfect fit for my Pentium II System and i don´t really like new Games.

Anthony did a great Job and i hope we hear more about his projects ;)

If there is any Interesst, i would make a little Review of these Card, Performance wise. (A new scalinng Project? :love:)

• Ich danke Dir! Das wird dann aber auch vorläufig mein letztes Voodoo Projekt.

So würde ich noch sehr gern ein Single PII Xeon als CPU benutzen, aber es scheitert am passenden Mobo.

Gold Leader max Resolution is 800x600, but with very good performance :thumbup:

• Marlon congratulations man! I really admire Anthony's work, so those card are something really special! If I had to chose between those and RTX2080 I would probably have made the same choice! Have fun with the cards!

• EMPEROR thank you :)

iam playing a bit around with hardware configuration and i have to say that the voodoos hate my Voodoo Rush (used as a MGV 2D Card) :topmodel:

Very unstable, but with a rageII everything is fine.

This SLi Setup scales really well. Even with a Pentium III 600.

• The stability issues might be a driver problem. Try different ones. But as far as I remember back in the day when I was using my Rush with a V2, there were also some incompatibilities.

Scaling should be pretty straight forward. Especially for more "modern" games, that use multi-texturing.

Next on the list would be Voodoo 1 with 3x TMUs and 28MB ram (4MB + 3x8MB is the max supported by the FBI and TREXs) + SLI connector. Although I am not really sure Anthony would have the time and will to do that. But there might be something else coming around the corner... who knows ;)

P.S. I for one, would really appreciate if you can make some in-game clips when you have time to.

• My first Impression of the Voodoo graphics sli Setup was: "Holy cow it scales better than a Voodoo2 sli System!" ( keep in mind to have half the fillrate of v2sli)

Maybe there are PCI Bus limitation for v2sli, or a tualatin PIII wont be enough v2sli who knows?

You can be sure, that Anthonys cards will score Very good against single V2, but i will Show later.

I think i know what Anthonys had in Mind for next, but my lips are closed... there is so much work and money inside.

Sadly i have no VGA capture card, but i will try to make a good clip.

• Für die 2D Ausgabe gibt's ein Update.

Eine Guillemot Cougar PCI Video Edition.

Der 3D Chip ist der verschmähte TNT2 M64, sollte aber flott genug für meine Bedürfnisse sein.

Da auch nur ein PII im System steckt gibts da wohl keine Probleme. Jetzt kann ich auch endlich die alten HI8 Kassetten meines Vaters digitalisieren.

• RTX 2080 is a waste of money lmao as all NV cards are a waste of money and time :mauer:
    if I have to be super honest, I'd prefer Sapphire's Nitro+ RX 5700 XT or the Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT for those that prefer to get a better bang for buck.
    As these 10MB V1's in SLI go, they are a very interesting concept, reminds me what Quantum3D & Pinnacle Systems once did.
    Just a major shame they are over so priced, rare or not, that should not have to make them so over priced.... that kind of kills off the fun factor to me if i have to be honest, 3dfx needs to be fun for all and affordable for all and that sadly has died off big time.

As that review goes that would be nice compare them with SLI V2 12MB's and 8MB's if you have those also throw in a X-24 from Q3D and a V3 3500 just for brawls lol

Even though didn't Q3D have a V1 with 22MB per card? Unless that was Pinnacle Systems hmm, kind of got confused there.

• Gold Leader why so crazy thinking a 3500 is a enemy for the Voodoo graphics. Even a V2SLi wont outperform a 3.5K.

We talk about the very first 3D accelation for the consumer market. The real enemies are Riva 128, TNT, TNT2 M64, G200, 3dfx Banshee, single V2, Rage 128, Savage 3D and maybe Velocity 100.

But you can be sure. The Voodoo Graphics SLi with second TMU is the fastest DX5 accelator by far!

I will present Benchmarks so you can see.

But iam using only 440BX Plattform and a CPU Range from 233Mhz up to 600Mhz.

I have 8MB SGR 128bit Riva 128ZX (fastest Version), TNT2 M64 (bit faster than TNT), Voodoo2 8MB and 12MB and Voodoo3 1000. Savage3D, Rage128 and Banshee will be interessting, but i dont have it. I will try such a card, but only for cheap.

And iam also sad that 3dfx stuff is so high priced, but you you can get a V3 for little money it its enough for everything you like :)

Edit.

I bought a Rage128 L Card and a Matrox G200 8MB for Benchmark. It was cheap so its ok for me and it should be interessting.