Presentation and crowdfunding campaign: The Legacy of 3dfx

• In his presentation at Retrosevilla 2018, Martín Gamero outlined the contents of his upcoming book about 3dfx, his research, the main areas it covers as well as the pledge rewards to be set out in the crowdfunding campaign.
    Badajoz, Spain 25 November, 2018.

Martín Gamero presented his book which is the result of over two years researching and investigating into 3dfx. The book is divided into three parts. Part one will cover the history of 3D graphics, from the 1970s to the creation of 3dfx, its rise and fall and its relationship to SEGA, Microsoft and other companies.

Part two will explore the developed graphics as well as those left on the design table in addition to information about relevant companies related to 3dfx and graphic comparisons between 3dfx and its competitors. From there, we'll delve into 3dfx's presence in arcade games, games and applications that used Glide -3dfx's API- and its use in professional settings.

Part three will be an interview-biography with Oscar Barena, an authority on 3dfx and one of the biggest collectors worldwide, fans' and collectors' perspectives on 3dfx today (which can be viewed here: https://www.retromaniac.es/2018/11/adelan…ro.html#english) and other areas such as advertising, merchandising or little-known 3dfx hardware such as its joystick or "virtual reality" visor.

The goal is set at 16,000 € to publish the book in English and Spanish and will be available in three editions. The standard edition will include an exclusive dust cover. The SLI edition will include the exclusive dust cover and a t-shirt. Lastly the Rampage edition will include the exclusive dust cover, t-shirt and an A2-size poster about the various companies and cards contained in a limited-edition box based on protypes that never saw the light of day.

Among the pledge reward rages, one will offer a guide to operation and components for a retro PC, another a special guide to graphic terminology such as bump mapping, types of antialiasing and 22-bit, among others, or the evolution of graphics until 2003.

The book's translation will be undertaken by a native translator. Book design will be handled Manuel Ruiz, Legado del Pixel webmaster, and the cover was created by Spanish graphic designer Toni Barragán.

Book delivery is set for June 2019.

Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mgp19…&token=4a23bc76

ABOUT MARTÍN GAMERO

Martín Gamero is a videogame collector since 2000. Shortly afterwards, he launched his own website to aid other collectors, he collaborated regularly with Infoconsolas and TúLoJuegas, is a member of the Retrosevilla Association and has taken part in various podcasts about game consoles and videogame sagas. Currently, he's busy promoting his first book: The Legacy of 3dfx which covers every aspect of the 3dfx company and the history of 3D.

For more information:
    Martín Gamero Prieto (Author)
    Email: 3dfxlegacy@gmail.com
    Web: http://www.3dfxlegacy.com

Social networks:
    https://twitter.com/3dfxlegacy
    https://www.facebook.com/3dfxs-Legacy-E…275679086613703

• Hmm, recht riskant denke ich, aber ok, ich bin dabei, auf "SST1" Level. Mal schauen wie sich das entwickelt. Wäre vielleicht gut, das an ein paar Hardware Webseiten und Magazine weiterzuschicken.

Hmm, pretty risky, I think, but alright, I'm in at "SST1" level. Let's see where it goes. Might be good to pitch this to a few hardware ezines and magazines.

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

Stolzer Besitzer eines 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP Prototypen:

• 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP HiNT Rev.A-3700

[//wp.xin.at] - No RISC, no fun!

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

Quote Bier.jpg@IRC 2020: "Je schlimmer der Fetisch, desto besser!"

• Kickstarter (eine Plattform aus den USA, wo die Kreditkarte so selbstverständlich ist wie Atemluft) unterstützt nach wie vor kein PayPal. Er kann es also gar nicht anbieten, weil die Plattform das nicht unterstützt. Was allerdings funktioniert, sind Pre-Paid Kreditkarten, und Debitkarten, die zu den VISA/Mastercard/AMEX o.ä. Gruppen gehören. Anders geht es dort leider einfach nicht.

Du kannst dir allerdings auch eine [PayPal Mastercard] holen. Habe das selbst allerdings noch nicht versucht, aber das ist vielleicht ein gangbarer Weg, sofern es mittlerweile schon außerhalb der USA geht... Falls nicht, wäre wahrscheinlich eine Prepaid Karte optimal.

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

• Wie gesagt: Es gibt Prepaid Kreditkarten. Ich weiß nicht, wie es in Deutschland ausschaut, aber bei uns gibt's die in jedem Supermarkt, und die erlauben auch eine Anonymisierung der Zahlung.

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

• [Gamestar] hat's grade gebracht. Die Kommentare sind gemischt, aber he, es ist 2018, wo die meisten Kommentare im Netz sowieso Sperrmüll sind. ;)

[Gamestar] (A large German Gaming magazine) just covered it. Comments are mixed, but hey, it's 2018, most comments on todays web are just trash anyway. ;)

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

• Ich denke, die 3dfx Fangemeinde war im deutschsprachigen Raum immer schon besonders stark... rein vom Bauchgefühl her geschätzt, aber jo.

Well, I think that the 3dfx fandom has been and still is particularly strong in the German speaking parts of the world... judging by gut feeling only here, but yeah.

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

• Hey kaiser77_1982,

any chance to have shipping costs stripped down? I wanted to back 26EUR (for SST1 goal), but it grows to 40EUR with shipping. That's annoying. :/

I guess there's no way around? I just don't like more than 1/3 of my money going into shipping.

We are Microsoft of Borg. Assimilation is imminent. Resistance is... Error in Borg.dll. Press OK to abort.

• Hi LoB. You have two options, get several books with friends or get the ebook. The shipping are too high because the book is over 1KG

I have talked with all company of shipping but they are too high , I am so sorry :(

PS: The shipping cost is the same until 3-4KG. In this you can put 1-3 books or a book with a Rampage according my tests.

• OK, gotta put my head around this. I want a real book for a shelf, but I don't know if I want to put 40 EUR into it. I have no 3Dfx fanatics among my friends.

Thanks for the answer

We are Microsoft of Borg. Assimilation is imminent. Resistance is... Error in Borg.dll. Press OK to abort.

• Have you thought about computer or IT fanatics in general? I have several suspects that are not 3dfx fans but they like the history of computers.

Other option is get a book for that freak friend/boyfriend/girlfriend. I know a woman that buy me the game for the birthday of her boyfriend.