Sveta 2002 is back as my 3dfx Retro Gaming Workstation!

• I think it's not that easy anymore. Yes, you can just take a Thoroughbred XY and see what happens. Personally, I also believe that the Thoroughbred B series are run on the board. But in the long term? Avenger, you said yourself that you and Bier already had problems with the board and a Barton. Who says this can not happen with a T-bred B?

Nice board, i love it. AMD761 is very fast. But this board has no AMD Athlon XP Barton support. My 8K7A+ died after i used a A-XP-M 2800+ (Barton, L2 Cache = 512KB) with it.

Bier.jpg had the same problem for a long time ago.

The mosfets become very hot and desoldering them self:

I remember that the issue was discussed 2001/2002 very hot. I rummaged through my old hardware magazines and found what they were looking for. PC Games Hardware published a compatibility list in its issue of 07/2003. (Kompatibilitaetsliste.pdf)

The list shows that only T-breds with the CPUID 680 are supported by the EpoX Board and this is the T-bred "A". If I transfer this now to an Athlon 2400+, then only one may be compatible: AXDA2400DKV3C with stepping code AQXDA (Athlon-XP 2400+.pdf, Source: http://www.cpu-world.com)

Obi, if you're running a T-bred on the board, you have to make sure that at least the Bios 2002/09/23 is flashed. In the "Release Note" is noted: - Added support for Thoroughbred CPUs

8K7A2529.BIN (2002/05/29)

Release Note

*FINAL*

8K7A2923.BIN (2002/09/23)

Release Note

*BETA*
    8K7A3214.BIN (2003/02/14)

Release Note

*LATEST BETA*

I would like to apologize if I panic unnecessarily here but I would not run a T-bred B on the board for a long time. The health of the old hardware is very important to me.

The safest way would be to grab an Athlon XP 2200+, in which the Stepping ends with "A".

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-At…A2200DKV3C.html

• Well then I Choose to run the AXP 2200+ 1.8Ghz is plenty for my 3dfx gaming needs anyway and if that makes my board live longer I shall just do that instead.

I found the right one MadYoshi I DM'ed you in Discord of it

It has this name & stepping:
    AXDA2200DKV3C - RIUGA

I'll just stick with that then. 1.8Ghz is plenty for my 3dfx gaming needs anyway.

As for the Bios of my board the seller did apply a screenshot of that seems like some Beta Bios it has

Seems like the Beta Bios from 2002, should be good for T-Bred A then :)

• I also use a Athlon XP 2200+ with the Thoroughbred B, overclocked to 2GHz and undervolted from 1,65V to 1,55V. I also have the first 130 nm Thoroughbred A 2200+. The B version is much better in terms of heat and overclocking!

• MadYoshi

I can't guarantee that Thoroghbred B CPUs don't destroy this board of a long time. But i used a 2400+ T-Bred B in my UT Benchsession [Link] for many hours without problems. I messured the mosfests with my IR thermometer and every temperatures were fine (<40°C).

But you are right, after your detail information, the T-Bred A should be the safest CPU for this board.

Die Pixel beschleunigt, die Kanten gefixt, lang leben die Karten von 3dfx! :spitze:

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Avenger (17. August 2019 um 14:13)

• Yea Lifespan is important for me so I thank everyone for participating, this is new to me as I always worked with VIA Apollo KT333 and an AXP 2700+ T-Bred B, the AMD AM761 is new to me, but it's often good to try out something else.

The CPU I found on Ebay the AXP 2200+ T-Bred A Is the CPU I will use, since I do plan to use this system for long term use.

As for the AXP-M 2800+ Barton chip if anyone wants it DM me :)

Thanks again guys means a lot, VA is by far the best 3dfx community in the EU, you guys just know what you are talking about , packed with knowledge here, which is very resourceful 8)

Many thanks,

Co_Owner of x-3dfx, Obi Wan KenobiV6K / Willem B.

• Hey all :)

Today the EPoX EP-8K7A+ arrived, looks like it's new and never used or it's been cleaned and recapped here the photo's <3

Top view as you see all parts are like new state!

Rear view, no damaged parts, everything is like new or actually well preserved or renovated< a true golden find this one!

EPoX EP-8K7A+ Rev 1.1 0128-3 top view:

Headshot:

EP-8K7A+ PCB Date 0128-3 = Year 2001 - Week 28 - Day 3:

Debug code display:

CPU V-Core table:

VIA sound chip & Socketed Award Bios Chip:

Belkin NEC 5 port USB 2,0 PCI Card top:

It's Bluuueee :topmodel:

Rear view:

ZyXEL WLan PCI Card 11g top:

Rear:

Here the CPU I won't be using but it came with the package anyway, so I'll post it for the heck of it xD
    AMD AthlonXP-M 2800+ Barton 2133Mhz top:

Rear:

Here the parts I will be using in this system the W-Lan Card won't be used but I will use my good old classic 3-Com PCI lan card:

3-Com 3C905C-TC-M PCI Ethernet Adapter top:

Rear:

Plextor PlexWriter PX-48/24/48A CD-RW Drive front:

Rear:

Label info:

Mitsubishi Electronics Australia F400 LS-120 Super Disk Drive:

More to come soon :)

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (22. August 2019 um 15:40)

• Be careful! The seller modified the CPU with short wires in the socket. You should remove them all and go safe that no wire cause a short circuit.

Nice Board, have fun! :spitze:

Die Pixel beschleunigt, die Kanten gefixt, lang leben die Karten von 3dfx! :spitze:

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Avenger (22. August 2019 um 17:39)

• A tweezer is also good.

It is important that after remove them, no wire cause a short circuit anywhere on the board!

Edit: You should don't loose the wires.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Avenger (22. August 2019 um 17:39)

• No matter, turn the board over the top and shake it a little bit. Hope that all wires go away.

• That wasn't a joke from the developers. The "X" means, if DIP 5 is switch off, don't care whether the other DIP switches are on or off.

In this situation, the cpu will set the multiplier.

• Well here's some very good news my VA friends <3

MAjor thanks to Microbits for helping me out get the V3 3500 TV AGP 16MB I will pay him back once I get my payment in November 24 this year I even told him no need to do this he goes like oh I already did it I was waaaaat xD :topmodel:

So here she is then my first boxed 3dfx card in what how many years? since 2009-ish for that part okay I did have a boxed X-24 at some point but yea this is very home coming :)
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/3dfx-voodo…ox/264310307595?

Here the photo's I got from the seller <3

Here the actual original price tag this thing is an absolute GEM <3
    549 D-Mark which was around 280,69 Euro back in the day.. hmm 69 :hre:lel :topmodel:

And here the card it's as clean as it can be , so well cared for too <3

And here that big blue IO Pod/Cableand hay it matches the color of my Belkin USB 2.0 PCI Card haha xD
    it's Bluuuuuueeee Yaaaaaas Dooow

So Frostora my blue feathered Novaraptor waves haaai <3

Reeeeeeee xD

• I know the pin mod only with 5 wires. Maybe you lost 2 wires by removing the cpu? Doesn't matter, main thing the socket and the board is clean.