Hey all I seek Fraps for Win2k Pro ... all I find are useless x64 versons or broken exe's.

• Can anyone help out with this?

I am running Win2K pro + SP4 & RU1 for SP4 and I Seeka working version of Fraps for my 3dfx PC Specs for short:

AMD AthlonXP 2200+ Thoroughbred-A, 1 Core @ 1.8Ghz
    EPox EP-8K7A+ AMD 761 Chipset with Via 686B SB
    2x 1GB PC-2700 Kingston @ PC-2100 266Mhz DDR
    3dfx Voodoo3 3500 TV AGP 16MB Rev.A 3199
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro

If anyone can help me here it would be great, thanks :)

• Gold Leader 24. Januar 2020 um 20:30

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Hey all I seek Fraps for Win2k Pro ... all I fidn are useless x64 versons or broken exe's.“ zu „Hey all I seek Fraps for Win2k Pro ... all I find are useless x64 versons or broken exe's.“ geändert.
  • Here are the release notes:

It is a x86 application...

Maybe you downloaded the current version.

• The "not a valid Win32 application" error may indicate a bitness mismatch (e.g. when trying to run a 64-bit tool on 32-bit Windows), but it may also indicate that the application was built with a platform target that is higher than your kernel version. E.g. if I write a program and my Win32 compiler sets this to "NT 6.0", my program will only run on Vista or newer. When you try to run my program on an older OS (Windows 2000 = NT 5.0), you'll get this error as well. The flag can be binary-edited using the tool [CFF Explorer] by NTCore. Here's an example of how to do it: [Link]. In your case, the values you'd need to set in the PE32 optional header are as follows: MajorSubsystemVersion -> 5000 and MinorSubsystemVersion -> 0000.

This should make the program superficially compatible with Windows 2000. It may still fail in case it calls modern OS functionalities that Windows 2000 does not have of course.

You may need to do the edit on .exe as well as .dll files of the program, see that link above.

I only tried this with XP x64, but not with Windows 2000, so I'm not sure if this easy fix works for that OS as well.. The later versions of Fraps should still all be 32-bit (meaning the .exe), but include 64-bit DLLs to hook into 64-bit programs on 64-bit operating systems.

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

Stolzer Besitzer eines 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP Prototypen:

• 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP HiNT Rev.A-3700

[//wp.xin.at] - No RISC, no fun!

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

Quote Bier.jpg@IRC 2020: "Je schlimmer der Fetisch, desto besser!"

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von GrandAdmiralThrawn (25. Januar 2020 um 19:09)

• Hm that goes a bit beyond my mind though as editing other values the error keeps replaying sadly, as for that program CFF Explorer I need to run that from my Win 7 Pro x64 system via the network to the Win 2K Pro system, which does work fine, just what all the values mean leaves blanks in my mind I am no programmer left alone coder, I just get lost easily.

After editing them values you gave me error still occurs, even I clearly remember running Fraps 2.82 under Win2K and that had no issues.

The old versions are just hard to get hands on all this new gen crap we have to deal with, I am hoping there is someone that has all these files in one massive archive, that can be very helpful hmm.

I could try the FalconFly Archive maybe hmm.
    Overall I am bored and tired of new gen hardware & software the past year I have been leaning more towards 3dfx and retro systems than the new gen stuff heh.

• Come to think of it, I do have a software archive as well... Here are all my older versions, just in case anyone's interested:

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

• You're welcome!

If I have time tomorrow, I'll try to binary-hack newer versions to work on Windows 2000 as well. Just out of curiosity. If successful, I'll share my patched versions. :)

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

• You're welcome!

If I have time tomorrow, I'll try to binary-hack newer versions to work on Windows 2000 as well. Just out of curiosity. If successful, I'll share my patched versions. :)

Here, this is really good news.

I predict that you will have plenty of time tomorrow, caused by a general blockade in Germany.

The cause:

Fraps binary code manipulation ...:spitze:

• Too bad I'm an Austrian though. :spitze:

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

• It appears my article is wrong. I guess what I had hacked were only fraps32.dll and frapslcd.dll. This however only allows for a working backport to XP. For Windows 2000, the fraps.exe would need to be modified, and hacking the .exe triggers a protection system. They actually packed Fraps 3.5.99 with [Themida]:

Themida is shielding Fraps.exe against PE32 header manipulation (Crap)

This is confusing, as I should've stumbled over this before. I either patched the .dll files only, or modern Themida protection was added to Fraps 3.5.99 at a later point in time. Seems unlikely though... Anyway, currently known de-obfuscation code (to break Themida) does not seem to be able to handle this. Must be too new.

So, no Windows 2000 version of Fraps 3.5.99. Too bad. But I guess 2.8.x is good enough?

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

• Very likely, yes. As long as the Themida wrapper's stripped off, the modification could be attempted at least. Themida is not trivial to break however. As far as I understand it (from reading some documentation and a scientific paper about breaking an earlier version of it), this is probably one of the best pieces of software protection on the market.

I'm not saying it's impossible for a capable reverse engineer, but it's not going to be easy.

Just for giggles, I tried a cracked version, but it's strange. It seems the crack doesn't require stripping of the Themida protection of Fraps.exe, so it's still active. Plus I cannot possibly redistribute cracked full versions, so that's not gonna lead anywhere anyway, at least not if the registration information is somehow embedded in Fraps.exe.

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

• Just for giggles, I tried a cracked version, but it's strange. It seems the crack doesn't require stripping of the Themida protection of Fraps.exe, so it's still active. Plus I cannot possibly redistribute cracked full versions, so that's not gonna lead anywhere anyway, at least not if the registration information is somehow embedded in Fraps.exe.

GrandAdmiralThrawn then you've already done the test I wanted to do ...:mauer::steinigung: