Voodoo5 6000 3700 A - Chosen_One - pads lifteds - FIXED 13/02/201

• Hello,

I received a v5-6000 3700 A from Claas (Chosen_Once) across my friend Stephan (Backfire)

I think some users will remember this card where tried to fix it with not success . For the rework he used a PLX chip leaded free - I dont recommend it since melting point is arround 220C - too much heat and stress for the PCB- it is suffering too much when with Hint bridge leaded melting point is 183C.

When he did the rework, card waken up but in few hours it stop to work again, he did some times the rework until he decided to stop since pads starts to be lifted.

Stephan asked me if I wanted to try to fix it and of course I want it! xD

12/02/2020

Here the card. It is wonderful, I love it.

BGA REWORK - DESOLDERING PLX CHIP -

I didn't know what I was going to find once I take out the PLX chip. I just desoldered the chip and didn't even clean the area, I just wanted to see how the area was . And I could already see that at least one PAD was lifted and zone really dirty...

Once I cleaned the area and passed the desoldering mesh, 2 more pads jumped. It felt like just looking at the pads - they just jumping - in the end there was a very affected area in the lower right right next to the AGP connector, and there jumped more pads, a total of 5 pads ... and later one more but this one N/C.

I talked to Stephan and told him that situation was very bad, but that I wanted to try it. The Hint bridge area is a very tiny area, VIAS, tracks and pads are exaggeratedly small to be able to work comfortably.

I told Stephan that to repair the pads I needed to break the traces of the damaged pads, that if Claas agreed, I would work in the 6000s. Of course he told me yes, that I do what I need to do it for fixing.

I started to work and take out the traces outside the chip.

Really it is as a ' chinese work' since zone is very small for rework but with a lot of patience started to re-work on pads and re-routing tracks. Not looks very nice but important is them do their function. : )

After a some days working and redoing the work done, I finally finished the area. The light is not good and the zone on picture looks worse than to the natural.

I also re-did a PAD N/C - I know I don't need to re-make an N / C pad but I wanted the ball to have a fulcrum, so I remade the pad, small but enough.

And all ready for a BGA session party. : )

And really BGA rework it was pretty good. So, it was all ready for powering up the 6000s and voilaaaaa... :love:

But not everything could go perfectly, and I detected errors in memory. : (

So the work must continue.:bonk::bonk::bonk:Card lock up when trying to load windows - need to re-check tsop sdram chips - :grr::grr::grr:

PS. Help - How can I add pictures on thread and not as link?

13/02/2021

Once fixed the shorts on memory- card works as te Queen it is.

For testing I had to add Hank's Rework since card locks up when FSAA was enabled. This card still came with original resistor handle SCKL clock speed.

CARD TESTING 8XFSAA.

QUAKE 3 - OpenGL

DONUT - Glide.

3DMARK2001SE - D3D

So, I can say card works perfect. 8o8o8o

Regards,
    Oscar.

• Hi Oscar,

Really great work right there, I'm holding your beer 'till you're done! :thumbup:

As for the pics: There's an "Attachments" link below the text area when posting, right above the smilies. There you can upload and then add pics to your post! :)

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

Stolzer Besitzer eines 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP Prototypen:

• 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP HiNT Rev.A-3700

[//wp.xin.at] - No RISC, no fun!

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

Quote Bier.jpg@IRC 2020: "Je schlimmer der Fetisch, desto besser!"

• Hola Oscar. Una vez más, un trabajo impresionante.

You can only upload pictures in the forum if you click on the button, *DATEIANHÄNGE*.

Then you can upload the images to your post and then paste them from the list into the post.

- Backfire -

• osckhar 13. Februar 2021 um 09:44

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Voodoo5 6000 3700 A - Chosen_One - pads lifteds.“ zu „Voodoo5 6000 3700 A - Chosen_One - pads lifteds - FIXED 13/02/201“ geändert.
  • Hell yeah!

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

Stolzer Besitzer eines 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP Prototypen:

• 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP HiNT Rev.A-3700

[//wp.xin.at] - No RISC, no fun!

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

Quote Bier.jpg@IRC 2020: "Je schlimmer der Fetisch, desto besser!"

• Chosen_One Grats for havinga working Voodoo5 6000, now you too can finally embrace it!
    You'll have fun that I am sure of :)

osckhar 3dfx Queen you say interesting here as a Boeing 747 fan and Boeing 747 Community owner myself we refer the Boeing 747 as the Queen of the Skies hmm guess the Voodoo5 6000 is the Queen of the Skies for PC's then :)
    Here my latest, KLM B747-406, the PH-BFA "City of Atlanta" 1:200 from Inflight 200

That being a very cool reference and nice work there as always <3

Yet coming down to them Hint HB1-SE-66 PCI to PCI Bridge chips, didn't know they could actually be that devastating... seeing that some people cool those things I guess that too doesn't really do much either, from what Hank told me tho.

Pretty neat you managed to fix this crippled Rev.A 3700 also major thanks for helping my friend Backfire likewise, must be difficult I guess even if you know so much and such, computer engineering, almost like aircraft engineering in ways, heh.

Just makes me wonder how long can these cards be fixed and how long can they actually last, also gotta hope none of the internal traces get damaged over time, then again Hank told me if you do have a working board, it's best to keep it running so it's capacitors won't dry out.

Now you could use Polymer Capacitors on your card, not knowing if this will actually be a better benefit, just an idea though.
    These don't leak as sealed and others can leak, the leakage can cause damage to the traces or other delicate parts on the PCB.

Stay safe bud.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (14. Februar 2021 um 08:53)

• Caps:

Best choice is always Organic-Polymers... they are quite expensive but also extremely durable and precise.

When you get right down to it, you can replace all those crappy electrolytic capacitors with organic polymers.

(what is my plan for my scrapyard Voodoo 5 Project)

The time will definately come were all that Electrolytic Caps will fail - somewhere, down the road.

Some people wait - until the card will blow... big whining.

Some people going to replace them now (and some vital parts more) - that's smart and clever.

But the best are, uuh Backfire, the Voodoo Card rework is much too expensive, you must to be a milionaire, they going to doing it themsesves, fucking up the card and big whining too.

;)

- Backfire -

• Great Work!

I'm fixing an Tektronix TDS544A oscilloscope at the moment, bad electrolytics ate a whole lot of traces, but that isn't nearly as bad, as this queen was.

Glad she's running again, congrats osckhar & Chosen!

• ah yes the Organic-Polymers Capacitors were the ones I was referring to, these are the best yes.

And obviously I misread you all good , and it's wise to get them caps redone before the card dies, goes with everything.

@Obi, while we have spare parts we will be able to repair the queen goddess of 3D. Even with damaged inner layers and blown tracks a fix is possible if you find the fault.

Regards,

Oscar.

Still pretty insane that this is possible tho it's not something everyone can do or understand, gladly Hank was able to learn you this knowledge and now you pass it on to others which is always more than welcome, I am not much in to collecting old cards as you guys are, well I used to be at some point.
    But things like this are always welcoming to read and see happening, thanks for keeping these old birds alive man., the Voodoo5 6000 is the Boeing 747 of all VGA cards in the end, keep your Queens alive and I shall keep my Queens in tight memory.

7 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (16. Februar 2021 um 14:17)