Anthony's Voodoo5 6000 remake project, Seems exciting for sure!

• Hey all

Dunno what to think of this if you already have an original Voodoo 5 6000 please keep them and just stick to those, this so called reverse engineered Voodoo5 6000 PCI 128MB by Anthony surely doe not seem like a major improvement over the 6K's we all know today.

if it were to be an improvement why is there no DVI port, and why is there no PCI 2.3 Universal connector that supports both 33 & 66Mhz bus speeds, even a 5500 PCI/PCI Mac has this. but I guess it has to do with the limits of the design.

Here the article at Hot Hardware, though I'd post it here didn't know if this is really 3dfx related or not hence the case.
    https://hothardware.com/news/3dfx-vood…husiast-vsa-100

here some pics:

It seems Anthony had in mind to make this card function like a Voodoo2 and maybe SLI it with a second board like that of a Voodoo2, not entirely sure though:

But anyways enjoy the thread and please post your opinions HERE

*off topic moved to another Tread*

They say all drivers work but so far they is nothing actually proving that either, *off topic moved to another Tread* but still an interesting item to discuss.

• this board is prototype and made for testing. i'm not offering it for sale. it supports 66mhz operations, although it looks like a 33mhz 5v pci board. if next release will happen it will be pci universal but i see not much profit from that, since it's good only for glide apps, for other stuff better stick with geforce. the digital display interface is not intended by 3dfx design for a 4 chip sli configuration, don't ask me why.

this card is under testing, results will be later.

lower price is possible only with mass production, i don't have funds to invest in that.

• Oh okay that makes good sense then :)

DVI Should work actually, if a 5500 PCI Mac can use it:

Even so I am sure a 4-way SLI card can as well, the technology isn't different, just double the graphics chips, the reason 3dfx never applied a DVI for their Voodoo5 6000 was simply no room to add it on it's PCB, Silicon Image chips were used for the DVI's on the Napalm Macintosh boards.

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von S2 Sedan (23. Februar 2021 um 10:24)

• Gold Leader 19. Februar 2021 um 04:40

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Anthony's Voodoo5 6000 remake project as it seems..“ zu „Anthony's Voodoo5 6000 remake project, Seems exciting for sure!“ geändert.
  • First of all, I really love that someone takes the time and effort to create such a card, especially after more than two decades have passed since the 6k prototypes have seen the light of day.

This is what engineering and hacking is all about, this isn't yet another Glide emulator, this is real hardware and I love that!

I also have to say, that it looks fantastic. That dark, cleanly layouted PCB in combination with these copper coolers looks very sleek.

I would love to see this card in action and if possible, also hear about the process of getting rid of the known issues.

• Auf so etwas haben wohl so ziemlich alle 3dfx Enthusiasten gewartet. Hoffentlich dauern die Tests nicht mehr allzu lange, ich kann es kaum abwarten die Karte in Aktion zu sehen.

Das ist wohl das absolute Meisterstück von Anthony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what pretty much all 3dfx enthusiasts have been waiting for. Hopefully testing won't take too much longer, I can't wait to see the card in action.

This is probably the absolute masterpiece of Anthony

• DVI Should work actually, if a 5500 PCI Mac can use it:

A digital image is not created the same way as a RAMDAC does it for an analog image.

If the chips have no dedicated framebuffer where the entire image is stored with proper synchronization, you'll have to build something yourself and that's maybe not even possible. Thinking about the amount of effort that went into this card I'm pretty sure Anthony thought this through properly and came to the conclusion that it's not really feasible at this point.

I'm really looking forward to see this masterpiece do its magic.

• A digital image is not created the same way as a RAMDAC does it for an analog image.

If the chips have no dedicated framebuffer where the entire image is stored with proper synchronization, you'll have to build something yourself and that's maybe not even possible. Thinking about the amount of effort that went into this card I'm pretty sure Anthony thought this through properly and came to the conclusion that it's not really feasible at this point.

I'm really looking forward to see this masterpiece do its magic.

maybe with some sort of fancy fpga it is possible to combine two streams of digital rgb signals. anyway a LOT of efforts required to make some changes to any existing 3dfx project

• *off topic moved to another Tread*

Might need to be a bit picky about mainboards of choice (to get 66MHz out of the bus system), but that shouldn't be too much of a hurdle, I guess one can find some SuperMicro's with PCI-X or just a separate 66MHz PCI bus system on them.

Thanks!

Bilder

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

Stolzer Besitzer eines 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP Prototypen:

• 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP HiNT Rev.A-3700

[//wp.xin.at] - No RISC, no fun!

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

Quote Bier.jpg@IRC 2020: "Je schlimmer der Fetisch, desto besser!"

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von S2 Sedan (23. Februar 2021 um 10:27)

• @Anthony:

Good Work

does the Card run with 133/100 mhz PCI slots?

can you build it with 256mb?

It would be nice if you put the BIOS chip into a socket.

I think, i would like to take a Card with 320 gpus, when it is working.

• don't understand what 100/133mhz pci slot you mean. it able to operate on 100 mhz pci-ex via pci to pci-ex adapter. it can work on 66mhz pci slot too.

all address lines are routed, so 64mb per chip configuration is possible

just wondering why you may need a socketed bios chip?

no 320 chips available no more, someone killed all stock of these, sorry

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Anthony (20. Februar 2021 um 05:04)

• i'm thinking on how to produce considerable amount of these cards, but i don't want to invest much in production. so, most likely, i'll keep slowly make assembly by myself, about 1 card in week or two. until i get bored. my interest in making something new, not to do the robot job, pls accept.

maybe i'll inqure pcb manufacturer on partially assembled cards. i'm not happy to assemble everything by myself. so final price mainly depends on organization of assembly process.

• I have 4 VSA100 320 we could use for my card. :)

Sorry my English is not the Best.

If you build the Card with the Universal PCI Slot, it would be possible to put it in every PCI/PCI-x Slot. 32bit/33mhz, 64bit/33mhz, 64bit/66mhz, 64bit/100mhz, 64bit/133mhz. Does the VSA100 and your bridge Chip handle a 100 or 133mhz PCI Slot?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm…/PCI_Keying.svg

Ok i think a 66mhz PCI Slot will be the safe way to go about it.

I like your Card and i want one. 200mhz / 256 mb would be realy nice.

Im not indepth with the Electrics, but is the PSU enough? It would be bad, if the Card would be killed because it gets some wrong Voltages ....

Maybe i want to test some Bios for the V5 6k, and i want to have the possibilität to swap the Chip on a missflash/ take a extern writer to fix the chip.

https://3dfxbios.cl-rahden.de/index.php?title=Voodoo5