Will S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl run on Voodoo5 under Win2K? Lets find out xD

• Hey all

As the title reads is this even doable? Since now I have the V5 PCI Mac in my AthlonXP 2200+, will Win2K Pro + SP4 be fine or would I need WinXP Pro + SP3 with 3D Analyze to perform this successfully?

Ideas are welcome of course, I found out I have the Limited Collectors Edition of this game and now with a V5 I thought will it run?

Thanks for reading.

• Wow, too powerful work for this card in my opinion. For all Voodoos (include V5), i prefer to use games from voodoo aera. Stalker was much later released as the V5. I think thats a bad idea. But good luck.

Die Pixel beschleunigt, die Kanten gefixt, lang leben die Karten von 3dfx! :spitze:

• Oh oke still I am going to try it I thought someone here form VA ran this on their Voodoo5 6000 at 1280x1024 but I could of been confused with something else so I was like well witha V4 5500 PCI Mac maybe 800x600 then or 1024x768 haha ah well I am going to give it a shot I do have 3D Analyze as well so yea Lets hope for the best right :)

if this doiesn't work in 2K Pro I will try WinXP Pro S+ SP3 with the Matrox Parhelia AGP 256MB DDR Rev.A 5103 (Week 51 Year 2003) and the V5 PCI Mac as well maybe XP Pro can give some more leverage, I'll see, thanks anyways :)

And its feels great to be back in V5 land <3

• Minimum requirements: DirectX 9 graphiccard.

Nice try, but i guess, this won't work. But good luck in trying :thumbup:

98% der Menschen sind dumm. Ich gehöre zu den restlichen 7%.

• Minimum requirements: DirectX 9 graphiccard.

Nice try, but i guess, this won't work. But good luck in trying :thumbup:

3D Analyze was in my mind, the P512 might succeed with somethings since it does have Vertex Shader 2.0 support :) Ah well I am willing to give anything a try in the end :)

But yea as the V5 goes you are right though, it will be hard for sure :topmodel:

• I find it very exciting.

Sure, Voodoo cards tends to be too slow for the game. If you get the game to start, you have to see which low settings are ultimately possible for you to play smoothly.

If you actually get it to work, record it and post it on Youtube :)

• Record witha camera in my hand I Guess , my upload sucks for streaming lel xD

I can make screenshots that won't be an issue, I am gonna try this later today :topmodel:
    Feels amazing having my old V5 PCI Mac back in a much healthier shape too:

I'll keep this topic updated for sure <3 Must do dis for SCIENCE! :spitze:

I already started installing, hmm might have to switch over to AmigaMerlin 3.1 R11 I guess or the latest SFFT Drivers hmm
    Tips are welcome.

Well I am going to give SFFT 1.9 a shot, it seems you can emulate DX9 with it to some certain degree, is worth using and I can always add 3D Analyze in this experiment as well and just go from there.
    https://www.3dfxzone.it/news/reader.php?objid=16199

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (21. Juni 2021 um 10:22)

• Well the videos run fine like intro's and such I made a video of that gotta upload that to YT ina bitthe game even loaded as well, But once in game it was glitching like crazy haha :topmodel:

This is good progress for the least , I used SFFT 1.9 with 3D Analyze, emulating everything a V5 doesn't have, the video play back was butter smooth, the Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro helps a lot with the sound play back, no sound stutters at all so that was good finding out.

I will continue work on this later today.

• Nice my friend! This looks promising!

One big Problem with newer games is the limitation of only 32MB Vram and no real AGP.

I played Halflife Black Mesa with Voodoo4 and the Framerate drops sometimes down to 5fps.

So i started to swap 64MB on V4 but with no luck. (by now)

• There are some early alpha and beta versions out there. Some of them are running fine on a Voodoo. For details you have to ask feinripp.

"Du bist und bleibst a Mensch und du kannst eben net deine menschlichkeit überwinden."

Dennis_50300

• There are some early alpha and beta versions out there. Some of them are running fine on a Voodoo. For details you have to ask feinripp.

Hmm interesting idea eventho I Like finding out to find a way to bypass the requirements the original has I will try and record the entire intro it runs so smooth video playback on a V5 PCI / V5 PCI Mac is pretty damn amazing for a game that should normally not even run it it, I was surprised to see video images perform nicely.

it seems that the Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro helped a lot with the sounds , so far no sound glitching or tearing which means not all hope is lost yet.
    But if I do get stuck I'll be sure to ask him as well yea :)

• Nice my friend! This looks promising!

One big Problem with newer games is the limitation of only 32MB Vram and no real AGP.

I played Halflife Black Mesa with Voodoo4 and the Framerate drops sometimes down to 5fps.

So i started to swap 64MB on V4 but with no luck. (by now)

well it's amazing I got something to work it's still unplayable haha xD
    Heck I even had to sue the mini map to move around lmao :topmodel:
    this is fun tbh, I really missed doing these things.

Try using 3D Analyze & MesaFX 6.2.02 with Black mesa you might get better results, and 64MB VRAM Can't hurt, if it's an AGP try slapping 128MB on those, these cards have 8 vram slots which can play a nice advantage, Komponent from FalconFly.de did manage to slap 128MB on their V4 4500 AGP, so this too can be an option for your V4 maybe?

These are the pics I kept of it plus a result from 3D Mark 2001 SE B330:

So maybe an idea to solve the VRAM limit issue for your experiment?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (21. Juni 2021 um 18:41)

• Gold Leader 21. Juni 2021 um 18:42

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Will S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl run on Voodoo5 under Win2K?“ zu „Will S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl run on Voodoo5 under Win2K? Lets find out xD“ geändert.
  • The intro ran fluidly like a motion picture movie the audio was accurate as timing was and sharp, no stutters in sound at all.
    The rendering I could not get far with that, as for the Alpha Version would be interesting to give that a try hmm.

So far if I don't use 3D Analyze I get no picture at all, might be because I have the final product.

• If I remember correctly, early builds of X-Ray engine were working just fine with 3dfx, actually it was build with Voodoo cards in mind. Then when 3dfx went bankrupt, things changed and Voodoo cards were not supported anymore.
    I remember playing some alpha on Voodoo 2 and it was working somewhat good.
    I have all builds if someone is interested to test (I have no oldschool PC to test at the moment). The whole thing is 30+ GB.