Work draft under construction
i open this Thread which will be dedicated to Anthony's future creation.
Published, on the developer page, the first images of the next version of the new video card that is being designed in the AGP 2x version.
For comparison, I added the image of the new agp1x video card to the pci 33/66mhz version.
I amicably called "SnowWhite6K", but the video card doesn't have a real name.
it is 2mm longer than the original v56k version.
The contrast of the white with the black components is really impactful. It would be nice to have black smd capacitors too, who knows if they are on the market.
The VGA pass-through is gone and I understand why, this is the primary video card.
Who knows why with this contrast of colors the installed components seem very few...
The video card really got the name Snow White and the new box was made:
The graphics are inspired by the short film made by the designers of Betty Boop, in 1933, dedicated to Snow White:
And was made by Batyra, Hardware/3dfx Collector and excellent Designer:
I start from this Iterview with the Developer and Enthusiast of the 3dfx World, released on March 4, 2021:
Special Unified Xcelerator 6000 Original Drawings Prototype
Hi Anthony and welcome to the community.
It has been a while since our last meeting.
It was May 8, 2020 and you were struggling with the construction of the 2D video module for Quantum3D x24.
The interview from that time can be read in the Thread dedicated to the: King Shaman 20MB & MGV2020 4MB 2D Video Module Review
What work do you currently do and what impact has this period of restrictions had on your professional, private life and on your creations?
- Currently I'm doing work which i don't like much. I'm assembling some cards. That strange period doesn't impact my activities much. Most annoying part is unpredictable shipping time in some cases and raising prices. Really, not much to complain about.
In the previous interview, I asked you about your future projects and you answered with a metaphor, which corresponded to a "No Comment". Did you know that, with your latest creation, you were facing a great success or a great failure?
- I expected minor success, maybe partly working board. But reality exceeded my expectations, everything went fine from the first attempt. Only minor errors in strapping configurations I've encountered. I got lucky with my big cards (King Shamans and this one), every project causes no troubles for me. Bigger is better.
With your latest creation, which you dubbed Napalm 6000 S.U.X. , thanks to the 3dfx voodoo5 6000 Agp 128MB offered for your research by our friend, you have performed a non-destructive Reverse Engineering, even if the video card was hopelessly not working.
Maybe because you had one of the latest Original Prototypes created by 3dfx in your hands?
- Name for that project will be Special Unified Xcelerator 6000, at least for the first production batch. There will be a special box with a custom art. Actually, i had a chance to get my hands on a fully functional V56K card, what helped a lot. I did some measurements with an oscilloscope, which were impossible on a non-working card. V56K has some tricky solutions, it was pretty hard for me to figure out some of these.
With this unofficial Remake prototype of the 3dfx voodoo5 6000 Agp 128MB, which I would define as “your personal interpretation” of how this video card should be for you, you have completely changed, once again, the layout of the original pcb and components.
Can you describe the difficulties you have encountered, the improvements you have made and obtained with this release of yours?
- Layout of that card is close to the original V56K, except the power supply unit and a VGA switcher. No way to make something different, even if i had such intentions. Components are the same too, except these parts, once again. No significant difficulties i have encountered while PCB routing, all went quite smooth and in a pleasant way, no thrilling stories to tell. I think it's because i did other VSA based projects before and got some background and experience. Evident improvement is the existence of mounting holes for coolers, maybe a power unit too. Also this card has less banding effect rather than original V56K, you know infamous SLI banding which is very well visible in helicopter test in 3DMark2000.
Was the Pci Rework, performed by Hank Semenec, ex 3dfx Engineer, to make the original 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 Agp 128MB prototypes working, also necessary on your latest creation and implemented in the Napalm 6K scheme?
- I’ve made PCI clocks routing in a proper way, i believe it’ll work fine. Anyway, some tests are still in progress and we’ll see upcoming results.
In this last period, you will be inundated with compliments for your new creation.
But, at the same time, you also received a lot of criticism. In your opinion, why is part of the community and 3dfx fans against these creations of yours?
- I didn’t see a lot of criticism. To make a criticism you should familiarize yourself with a subject, make some tests or something like that, at least to read or to watch such results from other people. Otherwise it should be called a "mere words".
Now that you have almost reached the top of the pyramid, do you believe that your attention will shift elsewhere or are you going to see "how it works", just for personal knowledge or to learn useful new information, the Rampage series and the Daytona series, the latter two. chimeras ever made by 3dfx?
- I still have a couple of projects in development. Not so exciting as a 4 chip board thou. Daytona sounds interesting, no chips available unfortunately. Rampage is a useless thing, there’s even no proper drivers, as far as i know.
In your opinion, communities like Voodooalert.de and 3dfxzone.it, which for more than 20 years "support" at its own expense, as you did with your projects, this technology created over 20 years ago by the late 3dfx, what impact they have had on your training and in expanding your knowledge?
- I like activities on such forums which took place about 10-15 years ago. A lot of interesting things, benchmarking, mods, new drivers, etc. I began with modding in 2014, i believe. But these days interest is fading. Maybe my projects will help a little bit to warm up some interest to 3dfx creations. Personally, I'd like to see some software development.
Anthony, I don't ask you one last question, but I leave you this last part for your spontaneous statements.
- Will continue to develop my latest project. Have plans to make an AGP version too. Have plans to make some fancy package. Still a lot of work to offer a good product and things are moving slower than i expected. Hope, eventually, all puzzles will be solved and people will be pleased.
- Big thanks to all non-indifferent and enthusiastic people.
Anthony, we Congratulate you for your achievement and for the results achieved with your creations.
Now, with your creations, you are an integral part of the "3dfx Post Mortem Story".
I hope this is not the last time we find ourselves talking about this wonderful technology, because we would like to discuss it for a long time to come.
We thank Anthony (zx-c64) for being with us and for granting us this new interview.
Thanks to the Voodooalert Community and all its Collaborators for letting me publish this new Thread.
Francesco D.V. (ciacara)