Snow White - the New AGP 2x version of the Voodoo 5 6000 by Anthony! With the heart managed by the technology invented by 3dfx over 21 years ago.

• Please be careful with the MSI KT3 Ultra II, the board is not safe for a V56K. I read about it years ago in a magazine article published on the internet.

This board is great for a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP system.

Can you give the origin of this statement? I want to use this exact board as it is the most powerful unit with compatibility on paper (chipset with 3.3V AGP) and a red PCB. If someone has tested this in the past, I don't have to. What I do not understand is, how a compatible board (with AGP 3.3V) can be unsafe for the card? I understand that there might be issues like instabilities or blackscreens or so, but how can this do damage to the card, especially when the board works with a 5500 AGP?

Voodoo: Athlon XP-2800+ auf MSI KT3-Ultra 2, 1GB DDR, Voodoo 5 5500 AGP, SB Audigy Platinum EX, Win98SE
    Voodoo²: Athlon XP-2400+ auf MSI K7T266Pro2, 1GB DDR, Nvidia GF3TI500 und Voodoo 2 SLI, SB Audigy 2ZS, Win98SE

Mainsys: Ryzen 5-3600 auf Asus Prime B350-Plus, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX2070, Win 11

Midrange: 2x Xeon 3,2GHz Dell Precision 450, 3GB DDR, ATI HD3850 AGP, SB X-Fi mit Frontpanel, WinXP

• Please be careful with the MSI KT3 Ultra II, the board is not safe for a V56K. I read about it years ago in a magazine article published on the internet.

This board is great for a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP system.

Can you give the origin of this statement? I want to use this exact board as it is the most powerful unit with compatibility on paper (chipset with 3.3V AGP) and a red PCB. If someone has tested this in the past, I don't have to. What I do not understand is, how a compatible board (with AGP 3.3V) can be unsafe for the card? I understand that there might be issues like instabilities or blackscreens or so, but how can this do damage to the card, especially when the board works with a 5500 AGP?

Most people got info from me I am the one that made the Voodoo5 6000 World owner list, it's all my work I Literally Dm'ed & emailed all the owners on who had what what their experiences were, I have helped to over 14 people to find a Voodoo5 6000 and help them gather the correct parts, the people that taught me were Hank Semenec, Gary Donovan, osckhar, VMAN aka BFG3dfx, Gamma742 and some others from x-3dfx.
    I just pass my knowledge to those I think deserve it.

The same for the Voodoo5 6000 Motherboard Support list it was made with all 80+ Pwners of the Voodoo5 6000 when I was making a list of who had what who tested with what all I did was gather their experience and made a list of it, just never thought of reopening this case, now that Anthony is making new cards they may be room for more to add.

Currently I run the x-3dfx community at Facebook, yea yea they sell private info, even so most things do there is little chance to run for it so I stopped giving a damn and I am there to keep the x-3dfx community alive and those in need for aid of anything 3dfx related.
    My first post of the 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 World Owner list was at FaclonFly.de, now that that forum is gone I made some backups of my work and posted updates if any were found.

Around the years 2011 to 2014 many 6000's deaths were reported by using TYAN 760 MPX based boards and the MSI KT3 Ultra was also reported giving stability issues amongst users that I prefer to keep private.

At x-3dfx many call me the Source due to all the work I did for numerous communities, I had a ton of cards I just made sure on what was safe to use and what was not BEFORE buying a card.
    You can see my old collections here, there are some that don't like it when I post things I had, it's kind of hard too prove my old work if otherwise.
    https://www.3dfx.ch/gallery/index.…ctor_goldleader

I Can try to fix some of the Voodoo5 6000 list topics due to changed Forum code some photos' don't work same to the 3dfx gallery which also had some changes.

Also the reason why I remember every single detail is thanks to my Autism and photo graphic memory of things I interest in, which can be of an advantage.

• Unfortunately, I don't remember the link to the article where I read that a V56K on the KT3 Ultra II had failed.

That was also over 12 years ago. And I remember well that I had asked you explicitly about this board, and you had warned me clearly not to build a V56K on it. Because I know it's a good board and my V5 5500 AGP was my first new 3dfx computer that I presented in the forum.

Whoever finds the post should also have the approximate date when I read this article.

- Backfire -

• The EPoX EP-8K3A+, EPoX EP-8K5A2+ & EPoX EP-8K7A+ are the best boards event ho my best experience was with the EP-8K3A+, I personally never tested a 6K in the EP-8K7A+ I have now but I know for sure it was a rock solid choice for those wanting to use the AMD 761 Chipset with the VIA 686B Southbridge chip.

I just went by Hank's te4aching and memorized best what was safe to use and what was best to avoid.
    The same chipset says nothing, one board will boot up and be safe for ever a other may bootup and give your strife along the way and others won't even bootup your card at all.

I always suck to it's best to be safe than sorry especially with a card like a Voodoo5 6000 AGP 128MB of any revision.
    Why risk it and maybe by hurting the card in the end? it's not worth it trust me.

And yes I did clearly mention that to you as I have done to others that wanted to try out that board.
    I also remember clearly recommending you to use the EPoX EP-8K3A+ which I think you are still using right?

Here a photo of the one I used back in the day:

Was a sweet board miss the V6K I had in it as well Hank's Rev.A 3700, I still have dreams of that I never sold it til I awaken and it still hurts even it's been so far back heh.
    And now these cards are unaffordable to those that have the proper knowledge on how to use them and with what as well, it's all so reverted..and wrong in ways of.. that only brings back a bad memory, again.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (24. Januar 2022 um 19:10)

• This unfortunately is no explanation why some KT333 boards are "dangerous" and others are not. In the thread about the voodoo 5 motherboards here:

Voodoo5 - Liste aller kompatiblen, performanten Mainboards

is a quote to an old thread of Avenger, who tried at least a 5500 on a KT3 Ultra (without the "II") and got a stable system. Unfortunately the link is not working anymore, so I can't read the details.

I'll have to think about what I'll do, as the card is only being built right now, there is some time left. One fact I know for sure: no Epox for me anymore ;) (personal experience).

Voodoo: Athlon XP-2800+ auf MSI KT3-Ultra 2, 1GB DDR, Voodoo 5 5500 AGP, SB Audigy Platinum EX, Win98SE
    Voodoo²: Athlon XP-2400+ auf MSI K7T266Pro2, 1GB DDR, Nvidia GF3TI500 und Voodoo 2 SLI, SB Audigy 2ZS, Win98SE

Midrange: 2x Xeon 3,2GHz Dell Precision 450, 3GB DDR, ATI HD3850 AGP, SB X-Fi mit Frontpanel, WinXP

• The EPoX EP-8K3A+, EPoX EP-8K5A2+ & EPoX EP-8K7A+ are the best boards event ho my best experience was with the EP-8K3A+, I personally never tested a 6K in the EP-8K7A+ I have now but I know for sure it was a rock solid choice for those wanting to use the AMD 761 Chipset with the VIA 686B Southbridge chip.

What's about EPoX EP-8K5A3+?

Is this a save board, too?

You never mention it. Is anything wrong with it?

Ich werde mich von keinem einzzzigen Prozzzessor trennen.
    Jedoch lockt es mich beinahe, ihn Dir zu überlassen, nur um zu sehen, wie er Dich in den Wahnsinn treibt :evil:

Meine Begehren

• Unfortunately, I don't remember the link to the article where I read that a V56K on the KT3 Ultra II had failed.

That was also over 12 years ago. And I remember well that I had asked you explicitly about this board, and you had warned me clearly not to build a V56K on it. Because I know it's a good board and my V5 5500 AGP was my first new 3dfx computer that I presented in the forum.

Whoever finds the post should also have the approximate date when I read this article.

- Backfire -

3dcenter Artikel

Irgendwo stand dann noch, dass sie das Board gegen ein Gigabyte blablabla tauschen mussten.

• This unfortunately is no explanation why some KT333 boards are "dangerous" and others are not.

For the V56k is that a different case. You don't compare it with Voodoo 5 5500 or other AGP 1.0 cards! Important is the 3,3V stability (tolerance) from chipset / AGP port.

Quote from Artex at vogons board:

Zitat

...very important since the V5-6000 is a 3.3v AGP card and has a voltage tolerance of about 10%.

Source: Artex's 3DFX Voodoo 5 6000 Thread

Each mainboard manufacture use different circuit layouts, this can affect the stability at agp port. Moreover, these can be components like (old) capacitors and others...

The safest way should be to use mainboards there are tested over a long time or take untested boards and live with the risk. That is my opinion.

I think the same applies here as for the EPoX EP-8K5A2(+). The same layout was use only with one more DDR memory slot and raid connector.

Die Pixel beschleunigt, die Kanten gefixt, lang leben die Karten von 3dfx! :spitze:

• Danke DerBiber !

Ich hab den Artikel jetzt mal gelesen, die sind ja damals echt auf teils interessante Ergebnisse gekommen. Ich finde aber nichts, dass das Board ausgetauscht wurde oder nicht funktionierte (vielleicht hab ichs auch schlicht überlesen).

Wenn ich ein bisschen repariere, hab ich drei Boards in rot zur Auswahl für mein System:

1. KT3 Ultra-II

2. KT3 Ultra (ohne II)

3. K7T266Pro 2RU (ich hoffe die Bezeichnung stimmt jetzt)

Der Unterschied zwischen dem KT3 Ultra und dem Ultra-II dürfte so marginal sein wie beim Epox 8K5A2+ und 8K5A3+ (um die Frage vom Lotosdrache zumindest zum Teil zu beantworten: ich hatte beide, aussehen tun sie praktisch gleich und Chipsatz ist auch in beiden Fällen KT333). Das "Backup" ist dann eben das KT266A Board K7T266Pro2, das wird vermutlich am "kompatibelsten" sein, dort fehlt aber die FSB333 Fähigkeit und mein Exemplar möchte gern mit dem Lötkolben kuscheln. Ich hab das für ne LAN mal wegen eines Ausfalls ganz schnell und hässlich repariert, bevor ich das in ein System mit Seitenfenster und V5-6k einbaue, muss das nochmal richtig gemacht werden.

And for the english-speaking members:

Thanks DerBiber !

I've read the article, there are some very interesting conclusions. But I didn't find the quote where they say that they swapped the board because of issues with the 6k. But maybe I simply overread that.

If I do a little old electronics repair, I have three potential boards with red PCBs for my system:

1. KT3 Ultra-II

2. KT3 Ultra (without II)

3. K7T266Pro 2RU (hope I got that one right)

The difference between the KT3-Ultra and the Ultra-II will be rather marginal, as like the Epox 8K5A2+ and the 8K5A3+ (to answer the question of Lotosdrache at least a bit: I hab both, they looked the same and their chipset is KT333 in both cases). The backup will be the KT266A board K7T266Pro2, which supposedly will be the most compatible of my three. This lacks the FSB333 and my particular one does need quite a bit repairing as I did a very quick and unfortunately also rather dirty repair on it for a retro LAN some time ago. Before I put that into a system with a window and a V5-6k, I need to redo that in a proper way.

Edit: Now I did take too long to write ;)

Thanks Avenger for the explanation, but the stability of the AGP voltage can be measured before putting in the 6k, I think this is doable. And if the board has new capacitors, this would help the voltages being more stable, so maybe (!!) there is a chance.

Maybe this is the reason to buy an oscilloscope at last 8o

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von tyrannus (24. Januar 2022 um 21:17)

• Das war auch irgendwo quer zu finden. Aber vielleicht kann Raff was mehr dazu sagen, ich mein er hatte daran mitgeschrieben.

• Hmm people need to really stop comparing a Voodoo5 5500 with a Voodoo5 6000 :/ :steinigung: These are two entirely different things!!!

Basically you are comparing a Lada with a McLaren F1. both are cards but both are quite different.

You must keep a sharp mind that the Voodoo5 6000 has a HiNT HB1 SE66 PCI to PCI Bridge chip on board and many other parts the 5500 do not have! These extra's can form unwanted situations if used in an unsupported mainboard, that to which my research and the help of all the other Voodoo5 6000 owners have helped to provide, know the knowledge you have gained from my work and that of others, no need to question it, it is what it is.

If you card dies don't ask on why, I warned you what is safe and what clearly is not... it feels like 2009 all over again, a time where some were ignoring the research and just go their way and then cry and complain their card died all because they didn't follow the safety rules on how to use a card like a 6K, never thought I'd revisit that time again...

As for Anthony's cards these may act differently the PLX Chip they have surely is a different kind of breed of comparing to the HiNT but it won't hurt to follow the same precautions as with the originals.

Avenger Also thanks for pointing that AGP Voltage tolerance out, very nice point you made! :spitze:

The EPoX EP-8K3A+, EPoX EP-8K5A2+ & EPoX EP-8K7A+ are the best boards event ho my best experience was with the EP-8K3A+, I personally never tested a 6K in the EP-8K7A+ I have now but I know for sure it was a rock solid choice for those wanting to use the AMD 761 Chipset with the VIA 686B Southbridge chip.

those are good boards, you should be safe there :)
    The 8K5A2+ & 8K5A3+ are the same only the 3+ has 4 UATA 133 connectors for the Highpoint 370 RAID chip as where the 8K5A2+ has 2 just like the 8K3A+ has and my 8K7A+ has as well :)

Nice find btw, from who did you get that board?

• Gibt's keine V56K Besitzer die eine Sockel 478 Plattform nutzen?

Falls ich ein passendes Board herumliegen habe, dann ja, sonst wird es etwas anderes. Vorzugsweise mit FSC Mainboard, aber Hauptsache halbwegs zeitgemäß 🙂 Thunderbird, Palomino, Tualatin, Willamette... Die stehen für mich zur Auswahl.

• Nö, ich bastel mir immer kurzfristig etwas aus Teilen zusammen, zocke bzw. lasse Benches laufen und dann wird wieder zerlegt oder umgebaut. Sind bei mir fast immer offene Aufbauten. Für den Nachbau plane ich aber ein festes System, nur muss ich mich da erst noch durchtesten bezüglich Plattform.

• Mich langweilt diese ganze Sockel A Geschichte. Gibt's keine V56K Besitzer die eine Sockel 478 Plattform nutzen?

Nun gibt's ein Haufen 6000 Replica's und ich habe den Eindruck, dass jeder das gleiche Setup hat. <X

Das habe ich auch schon immer bemängelt. Sockel A mit KT333 ist jedoch eine sehr stabile Plattform, solange man keinen Schrott benutzt.

Tweakstone hatte mal Boards mit 478 benutzt. Eines sogar mit HT.

"Du bist und bleibst a Mensch und du kannst eben net deine menschlichkeit überwinden."

Dennis_50300

• Wir haben schon nen Core i7 gesehen. Mit Schwindelstück dazwischen. Und Peltierkühlung. Isoliert mit Plastic Dip. Die Karte hats nicht überlebt. Weisste bescheid :D

"Du bist und bleibst a Mensch und du kannst eben net deine menschlichkeit überwinden."

Dennis_50300