Strange vertical lines with my V5 PCI mac during bootup

• Hey all

Strange day today, my V5 PCI Mac did strange today I also refitted the card in the PCI slot and the problem seems to remain:

VRAM issue maybe or did one of my VSA-100-220's die?

If anyone has an idea on how to fix this all idea's are welcome.

• Major thanks go to Backfire for fixing my V5 PCI Mac!

New VRAM was applied for the main VSA-100 and some of the broken off capacitors were also brought back to place, that second occurred after removing the little heatsinks on the rear.

All came in good order the newer heatsinks & Fan were given to the card for improved cooling, and hey no weird tilted HSF for the main VSA-100 either :)

Before the the fix:

The Damage that happened after removing the little heatsinks:

And some over flux remains:

After the fix applied by BackFire :)

Bootup test & UT GOTYE 1999 intro with FSAA x4 test all OK

An other original 3dfx Voodoo5 5500 PCI Macintosh has been saved, an other great day for the 3dfx Alliance! <3 :respekt: 8)

• The 3dfx Alliance :thumbup:8)

Thanks Obi.

Well - When removing the rear heat sinks, I fear that I may have damaged the small SMD caps with their corners. ?(

Yes, I am not perfect either. But it's much more important that you notice it at all and put it back in order. ;)

It has been a nice evening repairing your Voodoo 5 5500 PCI MAC. Ah, and by the way, the badly tilted left hand heatsink i've corrected and straigtened it out. At both of them I removed the terrible cement and put new modern thermal compound on them.

In the next week you should have back your loveley baby. <3:saint:

- Backfire -

• Hey cool I could tell from the photo's as the left one was indeedly tilted :topmodel:
    Maybe in the future I send it to you for a VRAM upgrade to 128MB VRAM, even with the VSA-100-220s it has 167 to 191 Mhz is what it can do this is my first V5 PCI Mac I bought the card back in 2005 for 60 USD from China with free shipping, I am surprised how well it has been doing 21 years and then the VRAM dies well not bad considering the 10 year warranty 3dfx gave for these cards, they surely lived up to that easily.

Not sure if 128MB VRAM is a good idea but when it comes to FSAA usage I do think it can be a major improvement, like when using FSAA x4 @ 1024x768 in 16Bit & especially in 32it color modes.

Not sure if drivers need minor updates or the Bios, but maybe for a later project or so I'll see, thanks so far though, this was my best card of my entire collection when it came to production models.

But hey :topmodel: I played lots of AC/DC when this news came round, it's time to party and Rock 'n Roll I'm like :respekt::spitze:

AC/DC - Shoot to Thrill (Live at Donington, August 17, 1991)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8LTCr3BQW8

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (9. Juli 2021 um 14:02)