Is my P512 AGP universal 256MB DDR missing parts?

• Hey all,

Some time back in begin of 2021 I bought these 7 cards from a Matrox Employee from Matrox HQ Ireland for 45 Euros with free shipping :)
    This was a marvelous day, all seven cards work fine as well, but I wasn't so certain on why the Parehlia looked as if it was missing parts ...

And when I look at my Parhelia Universal AGP 256MB 256Bit DDR many of the capacitors seem to be missing just like with the Universal AGP 128MB version, even though it looked as if these parts were removed from my Universal AGP 256MB DDR, even it looked more normal on the 128 MB model of this older variant as if they were never added.

The later AGP x8 models of these cards, they have an entirely different layout, but I did add a photo of one just for reference.

So here the area I want to show on where many capacitors are missing on the Universal AGP models, the center upper area near the white name decal of the card;
    The pic on the right is the Universal AGP 256MB DDR I have now, and it looks these missing parts were removed as with the Uni 128MB it looks as if they were never placed..

P512 AGP Universal 128MB:

P512 AGP Universal 256MB:

Here the same pic of the later AGP x8 model, as you see that same upper center area is entirely different, these also have more parts placed there as well:

P512 AGP x8 256MB:

So should I be worried and send my P512 AGP Universal 256MB DDR to someone to have those missing parts added?
    If not, can other P512 AGP Universal 256MB DDR owners please tell me some helpful advice?

Many thanks for reading :) <3

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (8. August 2021 um 00:13)

• Gold Leader 8. August 2021 um 00:04

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Is my P512 AGP universal 256MB DDR miising parts?“ zu „Is my P512 AGP universal 256MB DDR missing parts?“ geändert.
  • I have a Parhelia 256MB too. (I guess)

I can took a Picture if you want. But my card does not work. :(

Hmm maybe your card is missing a vital part I can take a look and compare to mine, would be interesting to see tho.

The area that I am concerned about can be seen here:

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (8. August 2021 um 17:05)

• I'm sorry about that poor quality, but i only have a potato in terms of making fotos.

Yours is the AGP x8 version I see, same as the 3rd P512 variant I posted earlier.
    After checking the PCB of your card I could not find any missing capacitors.

Also the one I have the Rare AGP Universal 256MB DDR, second pics of the 3 different P512 AGP boards made, aka this fella:

See how mind has a second notch :) The AGP universal version of the Parhelia AGP 256MB DDR was the first release of this model and was released in late Q4 of 2003 and only 1500 were made regarding the Matrox Employee II bought my batch of cards from.

Post Parhelia AGP 256MB DDRs' were like yours with the AGP x8 connector, with one notch in the rear, like your card. :)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (8. August 2021 um 22:20)

• Good news my parhelia AGP Universal 256MB 256Bt DDR runs great, just instaleld WinXP Pro today and I also compared it with the 128MB Model I had back in 2007 and there are no vital parts missing so that did assure me.

Here the card neatly installed after installing Service pack 3 & Dot Net Framework 3.5 + SP!

All good here :)

The Voodoo5 runs Descent 2 wth DXX Rebrth 0.58.1 + D2X Retro 1.3a as well :)

Without cockpit it does do a tad better :)

The Parhelia is much faster though, which is obvious :)

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (15. August 2021 um 01:40)