Looking for Voodoo 5 6000 card for sale

• Hi SWZSSR,

Question, I ran my Voodoo 5 5500 AGP back in the early XP days in Windows XP. Was also a bit finicky, but it was running with glide.

Do you happen to know if the Voodoo 5 6000 can work in XP? Also in general, where can I find drivers for the card for windows 98/2000/XP?

I'm sure it's all custom drivers at this point, but any good info would be great help.

Once I have a card, I am planning to run it on an Intel based system. I was hoping to use the Asus P3B-F mainboard, revision 1.03 with slot 1 to socket 370 adapter and run an Intel Pentium 3 Tualatin 1.4 GHz with 512 kb cache CPU and 1 GB RAM. Also wanted to use a 32 GB Sata SSD with a Sata PCI and IDE133 combo card that's Windows 98 SE compatible. For sound, I was hoping to use the Soundblaster Live (runs with DOS drives and Windows drivers). Network would be 3Com 3C905B combo card PCI LAN adapter. USB 2.0 Wi-Fi stick. DVD +/- RW drive and a floppy drive. All with an ATX 300 Watt power supply...

Thoughts, feedback, recommendations?

I'm trying to build a system that can run in DOS, Windows 98 and Windows XP and is Intel based, working with voodoo 5 6000...

• Hello,

There are tons of Drivers, test the best for you.

Don't run a 6k on a BX@133mhz, you are pushing the AGP up ... go for BX @100mhz.

Take a bigger SSD.

i don't think you should go for a Combo Card. IDE is onbord and fast enough for a DVD Burner.

I would go for a Intel PRO1000 NIC.

Test the Build first with a v5 5500, you don't need yet to go on the 6k

• yeah the BX runs the AGP faster then SPEC with 133mhz.

FSB 100:

AGP 66

FSB 133

AGP 88,9 mhz

I won't do that with a 6k ;)

• would I be able to run the Intel Pentium 3 Tualatin "cold", so basically just clock the CPU at 100 mhz with the 10.5 multiplier, so effectively 1,050 mhz or is Tualatin not happy with 100 mhz fsb? The highest coppermine socket 370 Pentium 3 I think is 1100 mhz at 100 fsb with a multiplier of 11. However, the Asus P3B-F mainboard only has multiplier up to 7.5, so I would only get 750 mhz I think...

• Pentium 3 is a huge bottleneck for the 6K. No point bothering with a 6K if you are going to run one on that combination.

The 6K has drivers made all the way up to Windows 10 now unofficially of course. Windows 98SE / Windows 2000 is recommended for the best performance with a V5.

PCI Sata cards will give nothing but issues unless you buy a promise card such as this one below. The Silicone image/marvel chipset cards have big issues with bus mastering/high speeds on Win98 which cause the mouse cursor to lock up when moving data. It can be resolved with a bios flash/the correct drivers.

The best and most painless solution is below. These have all the correct drivers available & are not based on the chips I mentioned above.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pr…&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0

As for running a Pentium 3..

Find yourself a Epox 8K3A or 8K3A+ with the KT333 chipset, AthlonXP 2700+ / 2800+ / 3000+ / or 3200+ in 333FSB flavour. It is the most stable combination and best performer.

Best bios settings are listed in these forums for those boards, and what drivers to use.

If you want to build something period correct for the year 2000 that would be KT133 based Athlon or a OR840 with Dual Pentium 3s

Rampage - AthlonXP 3000+, 8K3A+ (Poly Mod), Voodoo5-6000 3700A Hank PCI Rework, Aureal Vortex 2, Win98SE
    Lunchbox - Pentium M 780\CT479, Asrock M266A R3.0, Voodoo5-5500, Aureal Vortex 2, Win98SE
    2000 - Dual P3 1ghz, Abit VP6, Voodoo3-3500TV, Live 5.1 | Live Drive IR, Win2000 SP4

1998 - P3-S 1.4ghz (Slot-T) , AX6BC (Poly Mod), S3 Savage2000, Quantum3D X24, Diamond MX300, Win98SE

1996 - Dual P-Pro 1MB SL25A, ECS P6FX2-A, Matrox Millennium, Voodoo1, AWE32, NT4.0

Edited once, last by SWZSSR ().

• I recommend an Intel Core i7 or an AMD Ryzen with minimum 128 GB RAM for the 6k.:rolleyes:

Just keep it simple. If you want to use a Tualatin based setup, do it. There are enough working board for this CPU. Even some Dualatins are compatible afaik.

„Ich bin nicht nachtragend, aber ich vergesse nichts.“

• " Dualatins" :)

Love it! Yeah, not trying to go overboard with it, but was aiming for like a 1 ghz, 1 gb RAM with 32 gb storage and windows 98. When I actually owned my old gaming PC back in the late 90's, I had the Intel Pentium 3 600 mhz Katmai, with 512 mb RAM and 20 gb hard disk along with the voodoo 5 5500 and things were running good. Trying to rebuild something similar that will be happy and compatible with the vooodoo 5 6000, but also good in specs.

• And yes, you can use some VIA or SIS based boards and a Pentium 4. Some are supporting the 3,06 GHz Northwood with HT. You don"t have any benefits from HT, but hey, it"s working.

Tweakstone had (maybe has) such a setup with 6k.

The ASRock GE-Pro M2 even supports the Prescott with 133 MHz FSB.

„Ich bin nicht nachtragend, aber ich vergesse nichts.“

• I had, years ago. But careful, Not all sis 645dx based Boards Support AGP 3.3V, Stick to Gold Leader s Support list. On the P3B-F you also have the Option to use tualatin based celerons. They are available Up to 1.3 or 1.4 GHz and about the Same Speed ad coppermine.

• I would also recommend going for a KT266 or KT333 board using any Athlon XP 2000+ or above.

Ofcourse you could go for Pentium 3 1Ghz or Dualatin combos, but these would only calm Intel fanboys.

If you are using a Pentium 3 1 Ghz you won't see much extra performance compared to the Voodoo5 5500. The only advantage would be always using 2xAA with almost zero impact on the fps.

Dualatins will be a waste of money as these boards are rare and expensive and won't give any benenfit in games from that time. Dual slot 1 solutions might also be even slower than single core especially in games with high demand for memory bandwith like Quake3 as the CPUs have to share the same fsb. Not to forget that Win2k also costs a little performance.

Either you have to take into account that games like Unreal or Ultima IX have a heavy demand for CPU Power. Even the Voodoo5 5500 still benefits from going from 1Ghz to 2Ghz in these games, so the Voodoo5 6k will even more. Quake3 engine based games favor a high memory bandwith which is the reason why the Pentium 4 won these benchmarks.

If you want to go for the top dog of 3dfx cards then you should consider to use a faster plattform than a regular Pentium 3. Otherwise it makes no sense to spend 3,000 or upto 6,000 Eur to end up with almost the same fps you could already get out of a regular Voodoo5 5500 on a Pentium 3 on most titles. And regarding 'perdiod correct setup' there is not period correct plattform for a Voodoo5 6k. It never went into official sale and the prototypes have been sold after 3dfx was already gone.

If you go for an Athlon XP plattform you will get far more horse power out of the cpu as well as higher memory bandwith out of the DDR memory interface also prices for boards and CPUs did not skyrocking too much, yet. Epox boards maybe, but there are also lists for other manufactures known to run the Voodoo5 6000.

• Sorry to break it to you, Starting prices for Rev3700A is 3500 euro & up. I don’t know why the value of 1350 euro is being thrown around… It’s not 2006 anymore, The world is very different now.

The 3700A is a complicated beast & requires a wealth of knowledge to know how to set it up and get it running properly. They are very cranky.

Anyway, good-luck with your endeavours.

it's because I don't have that need to refer to insane pricing aka overvaluing, it's not of relevance for you to question that it's just my views on it and that should be aloud to mention ;)
    Then again I have plenty experience in this field thanks :saint: No need top tell me how it's like, just a waste of input... :sleeping:

If people keep accepting to pay high retarded amounts for this common revision, then they are doing something terribly wrong, what a seller offers doesn't mean a buyer has to agree with it ;)

Yet everyone comes to me to help them find a 6K :/In total I have helped about 14 people or so and now most owners prefer to hang on to these cards because money is never a solution over a rare card and yes please do refer to know guides they are reliable after all ;)

Tweakstone thanks for mentioning that, I could make a new owners list but ergh dunno where to start really, so many years between 2009 and 2021...

God knows who still has their card and all.

If any of you know who has what I am willing to make a new list if there is need for that though, I ask globally to all the 6K owners of VA< maybe that is an idea hmm.
    osckhar Unless you have a better idea, I'm all ears friendo :)

• I had, years ago. But careful, Not all sis 645dx based Boards Support AGP 3.3V, Stick to Gold Leader s Support list. On the P3B-F you also have the Option to use tualatin based celerons. They are available Up to 1.3 or 1.4 GHz and about the Same Speed ad coppermine.

The Iwill MPX2 can also be added to the support list btw forgot to add this one as for SiS645 it's unreliable in most cases not something I can strongly recommend the EPoX EP8K3A+ is the best board period, the TYAN Thunder K7Pro isn't reliable many 6K Deaths and issues came from using TYAN boards.

Then again it's not our fault if people ignore our guidelines on how to use these rare cards with what, if they make the bad choices I will refuse to put more time in helping them see their wrongs.

Then again an AthlonXP 2000+ or greater is required to get most optimal performance from a Voodoo5 6000, preferably an AthlonXP 2400+ or greater with the VIA Apollo KT333CE Chipset, my old bild with the 8K3A+ and the AthlonXP 2700+ ran the 6K like a dream it was very simple to use pretty much how a 5500 AGP works nothing hard at all, the Voodoo5 5000 AGP was harder to work with rofl
    The Voodoo5 6000 is a beast true, but hard to work with nah not really, you just need to know what CPU + Mobo combo is safe to work with the card once you know that you are good to go, as Tualatins go way too under powered for a card like a 5500 left alone a 6000 lmao.
    AMD's K7 crushses Intel P6 all over thanks to higher FPU and much better image perforance only game Intel was better at was Q3A and well there are more better games than that that run best with the AthlonXP anyway.

In the end I always stuck with Hank Semenec's & gdonovan's advice these two people learned me a lot on how to use these cards and what combinations were most reliable and it seems they were never wrong either and I kind of use their advice to help others that are willing to take my advice.

• Hi Gold Leader, Tweakstone and respectfully all other veterans in here:

I want to follow the advice as to what is most safe for the voodoo 5 6000. I want to see her shine, but no need to roast her in the sun. This card to me is like a good old Ferrari Testarossa Spider or Ferrari F40 sports car. Think of it this way, you guys have already performed all the benchmarks and crazy tests, so you all know where it's at. I'm just trying to appreciate the card for what it is and get some joy in playing on one for a while. Not trying to break any new records in here :)

My only wish and hope was to have an Intel build, instead of an AMD build. That's all. If that's not safe, then I will not do that, but if it is safe, it would be great if one of you veterans could give me a clear guide as to what motherboard and Intel combo I can safely go with. Either Pentium 3 or Pentium 4 and if possible in its fastest speed, while being safe for the voodoo 5 6000 card. No celeron! Preferably as I've learned, something that runs on 100 MHz FSB so that the AGP port runs at 66 MHz for safety.

So if anybody can make a solid lists of parts that I can try to find, that would be awesome :)

Best

• Here are many AMD fanboys, sadly. This forum was neutral, but now it's all about AMD.:(

There are options for an Intel based system and there is no problem with it.

I also run a Tualatin based system made from broken parts I repaired. Even my Voodoo 5 was repaired this year.

I had the system running with an AMD Athlon 1333 and 768 MB RAM, but as I saw this Gigabyte Dualatin board, I had to buy it. Well, I replaced exactly one capacitor and the whole system runs fine and fast.

I you want to have a correct system from this period, you should get and Athlon (not XP) or a Pentium 3. If you are crazy like hell, look for a VIA C3 based board...

For AMD I personally would use a Slot based system. I had this running for years.

If you want the maximum speed, you should go for the Athlon XP with a VIA KT333 based board, or an aquivalent Pentium 4. If I remember correctly, Tweakstone used an Abit SA7 as the mainboard.

• Totally nonsense man, it's a hard proven FACT that the AthlonXP is the best CPU for the Voodoo5 6000, this has utterly nothing to do what one likes better..
    AMD's K7's Floating Point Unit performance crushes that of Intel especially in 90% of the games and Synthetic tests K7 architecture was their ZEN3 back in the day.
    Pentium3 Tualatin is too slow for a V5 5500 left alone 6000 you won't see much performance difference due to the slow SDRAM interface these things use, the RDRAM Setups won't offer much difference either.

You can go complain about it, calling people out that disagree with you as fanboys and such childish bullshite, thereby not agreeing with it, or only believe what you want to hear, read or see that this is untrue and all, but you won't win anything with that, that is now how things work and you know that..

Intel was better with lame MP3 encoding and OpenGL based games that took use of long bandwidth based memory systems Pentium 4 was intel's worst but in some area's it was pretty eccentric and useful and also miles ahead of AMD due to architectural optimizations.

Even tho most games back in the day used the Glide API and in combination with an AthlonXP and the VIA Apollo KT333CE chipset is the ultimate the outcome for overall performance and stability, AMD is hereby the overall better choice.

In the end I just follow Hank Semenc's & gdonovans knowledge, it has utterly nothing to do with fanboyism of what one prefers or not
    Those two people taught me a lot and I am very grateful for all I do is pass on their knowledge to that of others :saint:

• Depending what Voodoo5 6000 revision you are using, not a mainboard I would advise the EPoX EP-8K3A+ is by far the most reliable as all 3dfx Engineering Samples work with it, including all six Voodoo5 6000 revisions, Rampage and many others.

As the CT479 goes? That seems a very unknown board tbh, not something I'd use, unless tits 200% Certain it's safe for use. Also if it was so great why weren't more people using these than AthlonXP's
    if you can prove it works stable and for how long then it should be added, but if it's just a thought it can't be added as safe Voodoo5 6000 operational mainboard support list.

If there is a way to update the mainboard support list its always welcome, although as performance goes AthlonXP FSB 333 3200+ is hard to beat from all I seen as overall game performance goes also AthlonXP's are far easier to get hands on than something rare and nearly unavailable which is why it was rarely mentioned.

What would be cool is a system of the best possible AthlonXP versus the best Pentium M and let them clash :)
    Only then we could make a good summary on what is better but I guess it's kind of late for that now :topmodel:

DerBiber Well said sir 8)