Bericht Umbau V5500PCI auf V5500MAC

• Would be nice if there is an English forum for 3dfx fans, enthusiasts & collectors etc. So everyone could understand what is being said.
    Kind of miss that a lot, we had so much more variety back in the years of 2001 to 2007, a shame the English forums died down.

Keep using translators// ergh well that isn't pleasant, I'll give it that.

Just one language for all would be utmost ideal, like how we had at FalconFly's, 3dfxzone.it or x-3dfx forums, that last has not been a thing for ages.
    VA is the only actual active 3dfx community at current time, the problem is, is that not everyone understands German, so something that would be more universal would be nice.

Ah well I hope my V5 PCI Mac will fulfill it's needed duties.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (15. Januar 2022 um 12:58)

• Gold Leader

Damit hast Du unbedingt Recht.

So wie es im Vogons gehalten wird.

Das werden wir bestimmt noch machen. Auch werde ich das auf meiner Webseite noch einbinden.

Erstmal aber muss diese Arbeit mehrfach durchgeführt werden um die Nachbausicherheit sicherzustellen.

Dann kommt die Dokumentation. :spitze:

- Backfire -

You are absolutely right about that.

The way it goes in the Vogons.

We will definitely do that. I will also include it on my website.

First, however, this work must be carried out several times in order to ensure that it can be reproduced.

Then documentation.

• Confirmation

Physikant

Auf Deine Bitte hin habe ich die Bauteileliste korrigiert...

Das ist der erste Schritt, ich prüfe weiter....

Stay Tuned... ;)

:!: Erledigt. Alles andere stimmt! :thumbup:

- Backfire -

Thank you very much Gold Leader for allowing me to analyse your card in detail. :)<3

• Ist C11 wirklich 15 V und nicht 16 V wie im Schema von Anthony?

Hallo Lotosdrache , ich denke, das Problem besteht nicht, weil du einen höheren Wert als den ursprünglichen gewählt hast. Wichtig ist, dass die uF und die Größe des Kondensators beachtet werden.

Backfire , Sie, der die Mod auf einem v4 4500 lief, ist dies korrekt als Argumentation?

Hi Lotosdrache , I think the problem does not exist because you have chosen a higher value than the original. The important thing is to respect the uF and the size of the capacitor.

Backfire , you who ran the mod on a v4 4500, is this correct as reasoning?

• I think anthonys schematic for the V4500 used some educated guessing for the values. They differ from the values on the V5500Mac, that can be said for sure. Of course there are many similarities, in the end its the same chip.

All voltages involved in this area of the PCB are 3,3V, so even 6,3V capacitors would be enough. They are mostly just buffer capacitors, so as long as they can stand the voltage and have enough capacity, they are not that critical. My mod is already working with some different caps. The only things that are perhaps of concern is the too small C1 and the too big C2. C1 for obvious reasons, C2 could be to achieve a smaller ESR, although the cap dielectrics today are better than the ones that have been around 20 years ago.

Many thanks to backfire. I will put the new values on my modded V5500 and see the results. The shipping for the new caps will take a few days, stay tuned ;)

• Lotosdrache

I think the 16V is meant. But it can easily choosen a 10V type, except one, are only tied to the 3.3V Rail.

ciacara72

Nearly right. First the real voltage of the rail is from the essence. Second the dimensions.

The mod ran perfect. I.E. Q3 Demo without any issues. Only Donut has shown some dropouts in 64MB Mode. After switching to 32MB Mode by Bios, no issues.

But even Anthony told me that the V4 4500 AGP is the worst card related to compatibility, with 64MB.

- Backfire -

• Okay, I just checked the schematic regarding the new, "correct" capacitor values:

C1 is the input buffer cap for the 3V3 voltage regulator. Here is the simple truth: more = better. I took this rather small value from anthonys V4500 mod and 1uF is really pretty bad here. 3,3uF or even 10uF are better, but make sure it is a 25V type.

C2 is the noise reduction cap of the regulator, again I took this value from anthonys V4500 mod. The regulator datasheet doesent give any hints, but it looks like 3dfx is dealing with higher frequencies and 10nF is the slightly better option in this case.

All other differing caps are larger buffer caps. I assume 3dfx took the rather uncommon value of 3,3uF because it was the biggest 1206 cap value around at that time or they needed that value somewhere else and tried to keep the BOM short, what clearly was one of their goals if you look around on the PCB. 10uF is just better here.

Anyways, I will change my caps to the V5500MAC values, just to be as authentic as possible.

• Well, the 3.3V is buffered all over the card with caps to ground. The 10µF/16V electrolytics and MLCCs spreaded all ober the PCB.

No problem to take a bigger one 10µF MLCC instead of 3,3µF. It is unusaual value, but no big deal get them.

These MLCCs to ground are no critical values because quite al lot are to be tied in parallel.

An in circuit measurement, years ago as far as I remember shows a value in sum close to 450µF capacity load on the 3.3V rail.

So if you take 10µF or 3.3µF ... This will have a barely perceptible effect. The first I can imagine will be some slightly distorsions in vertical lines at the DVI Output due to signal cross-talk.

So lets go for it... ;)

- Backfire -

• Danke für die Zusammenstellung :thumbup::thumbup:

Etwas Rechtschreibung auf den ersten Blick:

Ferrite Beads -> erste Seite; wird klein geschrieben

Indicitvities -> letzte Seite; Tippfehler Inductivities

Letztendlich irrelevant, für mich ist alles schön verständlich :)

• Nein Super - ich korrigiere das... :)

Deswegen habe ich es ja gemacht. :thumbup:

Hier die erste Korrektur...

- Backfire -

V5 DVI Upgrade - Entwurf Corr.1.pdf

Looks great man, only maybe add two high res photos of my V5 PCI Mac made with a flatbed scanner so people can see the parts on where they are placed with great detail.

Here a high rest photo made with a flatbed scanner of the rear side of the 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP 128MB Rev.A 3900 from my friend omega_supreme :

• That seems just right :) Perhaps two small additions:

- the fuse is probably a Littlefuse MICROSMD050F-2

I don't know if other manufacturers produce PPTCs with this shape and marking, but this one seems to be matching.

- The Sil164CT64 is harder to get than the similar type Sil164CTG64. According to the datasheet, the G variant only differs in RoHS conformity, so it should be an acceptable replacement. I have both here but didn't try the G variant, since the marking looks quite different and I wanted to be as original as possible.

• Danke Backfire und Physikant für die Erklärungen zu den Kondensatoren, vielen Dank. :)

Wenn man es mit einem sehr erfahrenen Enthusiasten zu tun hat, ist das ein großes Glück, denn ich muss einfach neue Dinge lernen. Aber wenn ich mehr als ein Enthusiast bin, in der gleichen Diskussion, ist es ein großes Glück, auch weil ich so konstruktive Projekte erlebe, dass ich, auch wenn ich nichts beigetragen habe, froh war, dabei zu sein. Ich danke Ihnen allen! :)

Kann der Schaltplan des endgültigen Umbaus nach dessen Fertigstellung veröffentlicht werden?

Thank you Backfire and Physikant for the explanations about the capacitors, thank you very much.:)

When you're dealing with an enthusiast, very knowledgeable, it's great luck, because I only have new things to learn. But when I'm more than one enthusiast, in the same discussion, that's great luck, also because I witness such constructive projects that, even if I didn't contribute, I enjoyed being part of them. Thank you all! :)

As soon as it is completed, can the final modification scheme be shared?