Bunte V5 6k Nachbauten Sammelanfrage bis 12.12.2021 (ehmals: Roter V5 6000 Nachbau von Antony Sammelanfrage.)

• Nur um auf Nummer sicher zu gehen: Das MSI KT3 Ultra Rev. 1.0 sollte doch durch den KT333 mit der V6 AGP kompatibel sein oder liege ich da falsch?

Not all VIA APollo KT333 Chipset based boards are safe for Voodoo5 6000 operation.

Some of the Italian users noted a few deaths of Voodoo5 6000's with this particular mainboard, but bad capacitors can also be the blame to unstable AGP 3.3 voltages.
    Ah well, I always stuck to what Hank Semenec & Gary Donovan advised me, they for sure know what is best and I never had any issues.

• Gold Leader: Thanks for the information, of course I don't want to damage the board in any way.

Are there any other suggestions for a 100% compatible board in red to match the red card I ordered?

Gold Leader: Danke für die Information, ich möchte die Karte natürlich auf keinen Fall beschädigen.

Gibt es denn sonst noch Vorschläge für ein 100% kompatibles Board in rot, passend zu der roten Karte, die ich bestellt habe?

• Gold Leader: Thanks for the information, of course I don't want to damage the board in any way.

Are there any other suggestions for a 100% compatible board in red to match the red card I ordered?

Gold Leader: Danke für die Information, ich möchte die Karte natürlich auf keinen Fall beschädigen.

Gibt es denn sonst noch Vorschläge für ein 100% kompatibles Board in rot, passend zu der roten Karte, die ich bestellt habe?

No idea they are not in my list then again I made that list in 2009, you can try it but if there are others that have good experiences with that board yea I don't see on why not.

Tweakstone Were you able to get stable function with that board?

All in all we need a new Motherboard compatibility list what mobo's are safe to use what don't work at all as in no post during bootup and those that work but can damage the card over a long period of time.

Green is Safe & Reliable

Orange Can work but is Unreliable

Red is not safe and utter No Go

As revisions go that may get a bit complicated, not sure how many people still have their cards, or the same people when I made them lists way back from 2006 to 2009, much has changed I guess.

As for Anthony's cards I have no reference of sadly, are they like Rev.A 3700's or Rev.A3 3400's or more like Rev.A 3900's I really can't fill in the gaps for those.

If they are their own thing then the chance is that Orange valued mainboards may work better with Anthony's Voodoo5 6000 based cards for example, to determine this is hard.

The PCI Liveries of Anthony's Voodoo5 6000's these may not run in to issues like the AGP models would do if using the wrong main boards, just my hypothetical theory though, but Maybe Anthony may know more of what mainboards work with his cards and which don't.
    It could be that the original 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 behave entirely differently.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (19. Januar 2022 um 20:36)

• The new 6k features a PLX chip and not a HiNT but we might need to test one mainboard that would kill a normal card. Maybe we can send one of the 6k killer Boards to Antony to test?

that would be a wise plan yes. Root everything out so in time we can make a new motherboards support list and take things on from there.
    From what I know the PLX Chip is the same as the HiNT HB1 SE-66, unless it's more patched now and it does not have the issues HiNT had, can anyone confirm this? if so that would be very helpful :)

If that is true, then that would be a nasty problem off the list and that can change things, like when it comes to what mainboard is safe, to a certain degree.
    Things like which isn't safe, or which works but gives issues up ahead, or which boards are just safe to use in the end.

(Sorry for the edits, things keep popping up in my head)

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (19. Januar 2022 um 20:53)

• I didn't do a test myself, but the KT266A is a safe chipset.

• It is. I've tested a 3700 and 3900 on my MSI K7T266 Pro and they worked just fine. This one here: https://www.au-ja.de/review-msik7t266-1.phtml

Well if you can confirm it's safe and reliable maybe we should work on making anew motherboards support list with the Green Orange & Red Labeling as I did back in the years 2005 to 2009 for the old world owners list.

Green is Safe & Reliable

Orange Can work but is Unreliable

Red is not safe and utter No Go

Chipsets can differ per board brand sadly, some KT333's work and some gave a no post at start up, not sure how it is with KT266, some might work others might not, you'd have to do long term test runs in that MSI KT266 board to determine it is reliable and it won't damage your card over time.
    Thus it wWould be nice if we can pan out what boards actually are safe to use and which aren't especially those that can cause damage over time like the TYAN horrors like the TYAN Thunder K7Pro and the Tyan Tiger MPX for example.

Even that the AMD 760MPX is a safe chipset regarding the IWill MPX2:

Or the Gigabyte GA-DPXDW-P like my friend m14radu has and has proved it's 100% reliability with several rev.A 3700's he has had.

As VIA Apollo KT333CE goes the EPoX EP8K3A+ & EP8K5A2/A3 + are safe as where the AYS A7V333-R gives a black screen at bootup.

Only the chipset does not give enough information for reliable performance.

And what brands did that some mobos of the same chipset do work and others don't, this was always a mystery for me to unravel.
    The ASUS A7M266-D also gave no post during bootup when I had my Voodoo5 6000 AGP 128MB Rev.A 3700.

So i the end it's not all that simple when it comes to a chipset, since not all brands may let things work, like others do.
    The reason why I made that mainboard support list was to pan some of these things out so people knew what was safe to use back then, speaking of the years 2005 to 2009 when 3dfx collecting was more doable and affordable.

as for Anthony's Voodoo5 6000 variants this may be a whole different story as these have slight improvements over the 3dfx originals.
    Like improved PCI Bus routing, no PCI Rework like the originals have, due to the improved PCI bus routing this was not of need, they use a PLX PCI to PCI Bus chip, works like the HiNT HB1 SE-66 ut has some minor changes.

I Sadly can't help with these but the owners can of course :)
    The more est results we get per user the better.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (20. Januar 2022 um 10:19)

• Weiß man denn genau was das Problem bei den Voodoo5 6000 Prototypen verursacht? Ich habe nur immer gelesen, es läge am Hint bridge chip, aber da es keine Kontinuität bei gleichen Chipsätzen aber unterschiedlichen Herstellern gibt, auch Rev. der Voodoo5 6000 sich jeweils anders verhalten können oder sogar beim Asus P3F das Bios darüber entscheidet, ob es funktioniert oder nicht, scheint es ja von mehr als einem Faktor abhängig zu sein?

• He asked if someone really knows whats causing the problems with using the original 6k prototypes on a board that otherwise is compatible with AGP 3.3V. He read that its assumed to be the HINT bridge chip, but states that there isn't any contiunity with boards that have the same chipset but are from different manufacturers. Also, the different revisions of the 6k prototypes behave somewhat different and on the Asus P3B-F it seems to be dependent on the BIOS version if a 6k runs or not. So it might very well be more than one factor?

I hope the translation is accurate enough ;)

I think that you always have to keep in mind that the original 6k is a prototype card, even the latest revisions had their bugs and did not run without the pci rework.

I'll test my anthony-6k (when it arrives) on a MSI KT3-Ultra2, which has KT333CE on it like the well-known Epox boards as I want a board with red pcb and a fast system. The chipset is ok, it does provide 3.3V AGP (I tested that with an ATI Rage), so I hope it won't kill the card even when its not booting. For backup, I also have a K7T266, but this will need another CPU (not FSB333) and a set of new capacitors first.

Voodoo: Athlon XP-2800+ auf MSI KT3-Ultra 2, 1GB DDR, Voodoo 5 5500 AGP, SB Audigy Platinum EX, Win98SE
    Voodoo²: Athlon XP-2400+ auf MSI K7T266Pro2, 1GB DDR, Nvidia GF3TI500 und Voodoo 2 SLI, SB Audigy 2ZS, Win98SE

Mainsys: Ryzen 5-3600 auf Asus Prime B350-Plus, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX2070, Win 11

Midrange: 2x Xeon 3,2GHz Dell Precision 450, 3GB DDR, ATI HD3850 AGP, SB X-Fi mit Frontpanel, WinXP

• Auf meinem MSI KT3-Ultra ist dieser Chip verbaut, das sollte doch eigentlich funktionieren.

Anderseits werde ich wohl sicherheitshalber erstmal auf ein MSI K7T266 Pro2-RU setzten.

• Auf meinem MSI KT3-Ultra ist dieser Chip verbaut, das sollte doch eigentlich funktionieren.

Anderseits werde ich wohl sicherheitshalber erstmal auf ein MSI K7T266 Pro2-RU setzten.

Same chipset as the 8K3A+ Yes but still the MSI has lead to difficulties to Rev.A 3700 users, even a a Rev.A3 3400 can work, but in time it might get damaged as well
    In the end mainboards in the orange zone are just ruled out.

osckhar Didn't you have a bad experience with the MSI KT3 Ultra with your first Rev.A 3700?

Now it could be that it's different for Anthony's cards, as they are an entirely different breed that I know little about.

Try the ASUS A7V333-R and you get not post and yet still it uses the same chipset as that Unreliable MSI KT3 Ultra ;)

The Chipset doesn't determine safety the motherboards and some motherboards have have the exact same chipset but the changes the mainboard companies bring can change the outcome.

No idea what EPoX did to their 8K3A+ the same for their 8K7A+ that they are so amazing, but yea not every board is safe and if you want to ignore this it's your call, if you card does die in some period of time then you can reread my messages again and see that I was right about this all along.

You may fill in the gaps.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (21. Januar 2022 um 09:10)

It is an CE Revision. There are two Revisions from the original KT333, the CD and CE. The CD and CE support AGP1x/2x with 3,3V. The third Revision, the CF is a KT400 under the label of an KT333. The CF Revision does not support 3,3V.

glidegallery <-- meine Voodoo Gallery [Domain 壊れてる]

• He asked if someone really knows whats causing the problems with using the original 6k prototypes on a board that otherwise is compatible with AGP 3.3V. He read that its assumed to be the HINT bridge chip, but states that there isn't any contiunity with boards that have the same chipset but are from different manufacturers. Also, the different revisions of the 6k prototypes behave somewhat different and on the Asus P3B-F it seems to be dependent on the BIOS version if a 6k runs or not. So it might very well be more than one factor?

I hope the translation is accurate enough ;)

I think that you always have to keep in mind that the original 6k is a prototype card, even the latest revisions had their bugs and did not run without the pci rework.

I'll test my anthony-6k (when it arrives) on a MSI KT3-Ultra2, which has KT333CE on it like the well-known Epox boards as I want a board with red pcb and a fast system. The chipset is ok, it does provide 3.3V AGP (I tested that with an ATI Rage), so I hope it won't kill the card even when its not booting. For backup, I also have a K7T266, but this will need another CPU (not FSB333) and a set of new capacitors first.

Well an other tip Hank Semenec passed on to me is to touch the HiNT chip during bootup if it gets hot then you have a bad mainboard, but if it doesn't then you are good :)

Also if you are going to use the MSI K7T266 Pro2, the max CPU supported is the AMD AthlonXP 2600+ Thoroughbred-B

https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/K7T266_…(MS-6380E).html

If you're not too sure about that, just stick with an AMD AthlonXP 2200+ Thoroughbred-A, these always work well.

Same chipset won't determine a mainboard's stability, take the ASUS A7V333-R as a good example or the ASUS A7M266-D when it comes to the AMD 760MPX, exactly the same issues with exact same chipset as the IWill MPX2 & Gigabyte GA-DPXDW-P, but no post screen.

It is hard to describe such things, Prototypes are weird birds, and extremely pesky on what board they will like or not.
    I really hope Anthony's Voodoo5 6000's will do you guys a better one, and hope that the PLX chip won't have the similar traits the HiNT has now.

if I'd have to choose a card for use, I'd stick with Anthony's designs they seem more reliable.

• Hi guys,

There are two things to keep in mind when looking for a Voodoo5-6000 compatible motherboard:

1.- Look for a safe motherboard for the 6000s, that means a motherboard that works at 3.3V. The kt333 chip is 100% safe, but don't confuse it with the kt333CF, the latter will send the 6000 to heaven. You need a motherbard wwtih AGP1.0 or AGP2.0 universal.

2.- A safe board for the 6000s, which works at 3.3V, does not mean that it is compatible with the 6000. It just won't work but it won't harm the 6000. Card can not boots up but not means it is damaging the 6000, so not fear.

I had a bad experience with the MSI Kt3 ultra, but at no time did it damage the card. In my case it just didn't work properly.

Guys, don't be afraid, the v5-6000 is very stable if you use it on a 3.3V motherboard, I have been with that combo for many years and 0 problems, please enjoy the goddess without fear and if at some point the card stops work, you have Anthony, Stpehan or me and we will make the phoenix rise from the ashes.

Sorry for my bad English.

Regards,

Oscar.

• interesting stuff! something in my mind tells me that i also need one of these!

has anybody tried this card in action?

i dont like facebook, does anthony share informations on his cards also on other channels? ...dont want to ask already communicated things twice...

regards, Eike

• interesting stuff! something in my mind tells me that i also need one of these!

has anybody tried this card in action?

i dont like facebook, does anthony share informations on his cards also on other channels? ...dont want to ask already communicated things twice...

regards, Eike

Yea he actually does post here at VA from time to time,But ciacara72 is your go to guy for ordering info and info of the cards themself, he has helped Anthony a lot by spreading the good word of his work and craftsmanship :)

Thanks for the explanation Friendo! <3

And yea that is pretty much it, sorry for my ways of bad explaining as well and your English is fine mine :)
    It's that I clearly remember you had issues with the MSI KT3 Ultra which is why I placed it on the Orange field, since the EPoX EP-8K3A+ & EPoX EP-8K5A2+ you had after the MSI, they ran better if I remember it well right?

Heck I think I remember you made a topic at 3dfxzone.it of this lel :topmodel: