Bunte V5 6k Nachbauten Sammelanfrage bis 12.12.2021 (ehmals: Roter V5 6000 Nachbau von Antony Sammelanfrage.)

• so far no plans to develop this design as there are many troubles with selling cards. it's hard to consolidate funds for future development for me now. thus no agp variant in the near future.

digital out works in 3d this way only (need some sort of fpga to combine all the streams in one):

• oh yea damn, well you're a first to have a DVI on a Quad SLI VSA-100 setup, does the same happen with the HDMI as well?
    As AGP goes imo PCI is the best interface as it offers 33Mhz & 66Mhz PCI bus modes and it's ideal to use alongside a main graphics card.

Matrox Parhelia AGP universal 256MB DDR + 3dfx Voodoo5 5500 PCI Macintosh is the setup I am using now, this is the advantage of having a PCI card type, it gives you more headroom for use.

• Hat irgendwer schonmal ne replica auf einem Slot A Mainboard mit and 751 Chipsatz getestet?

The Micro-Star International MS6195 K7 Pro should work, I have this board in use it is rock solid with Bios V1.8, here my baord which has caps from SANYO & OSCOMP:

Will it work sure, but will it give you optimal performance, no it won't an AMD AThlonXP 2000+ or greater if you want a required speed spec, but I'd definitely stick with an AthlonXP 2200+ or greater if going the Voodoo5 6000 route.

This board supports all AMD K7 revisions, Orion, Pluto, Argon & Thunderbird, 500Mhz - 1000Mhz.

An other good alternative is this Micro ATX version of it which I still have laying here backhand:

Micro-Star International MS6191 the K7 Mini I nick name it, not sure if it has an actual name tho.

They both have AGP 3.3v support and AGP x1/x2 support.

• Kauf dir nen billiges Epox 8K5Axx, tausche die Elkos und klatsch nen Barton drauf. Damit bist du sicher.

Slot A ist zwar ziemlich cool, aber selbst mit nem 1000er TBird wird sich die Karte langweilen.

"Du bist und bleibst a Mensch und du kannst eben net deine menschlichkeit überwinden."

Dennis_50300

• yea Slot A Is slow like Pentium3 is, but to answer their questions yes it will work.
    I'd avoid Barton and stick with Thoroughbred-B instead , smaller dies they have a smaller chance of cracking, this was a major issue when it cae to Barton die's they are more vulnerable.

As for Cheap EPoX boards? none of the KT333 boards from EPoX are cheap, you can blame the capitalists for that crap lol, this is more of a jest to me than something realistic, some pipe dream in that kind of sense.
    my friends from Argentina can surely back me on thatl, cheap EPoX.... yea.. right :/

Also it's the EP-8K3A/8K3A+ you'd actually want for best stability, the EP-8K5A series I found very unstable even after recaps, as the Rev.A 3700 goes, same goes for the Rev.A3 3400 and Rev.A2 2600, these didn't works table with the 8K5A2, but ran issue free on the 8K3A+, be careful on what boards you'd recommend to people, not all KT333 boards worked with the 6K even the ones with the correct KT333 Revisions Rev D & Rev E that being.

When I made the Voodoo5 6000 owners list owners of Voodoo5 6000's told me this experience themselves so I took note of it, that being a total of 85 people back then, not sure how many there are now.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (21. Mai 2023 um 17:44)

• Hat irgendwer schonmal ne replica auf einem Slot A Mainboard mit and 751 Chipsatz getestet?

Bin grade am testen mit mehreren Chipsätzen, bis jetzt nur von den Slot A Chipsätzen den VIA KX133 getestet, läuft ohne Probleme (gehe davon aus das der Irongate auch läuft, der AMD 760 geht nämlich auch ohne Probleme), ich würde aber etwas mit mehr performance, wie CryptonNite schon geschrieben hat. Für Glide-Gaming ohne FSAA reicht aber auch ein 1000ernder Athlon mit einer 6000. Bis jetzt bin ich im allgemeinen noch auf keine Inkompatibilitäten gestoßen, Anthonys Strange God AGP läuft zuverlässig und stabil.

3dfx für die Ewigkeit...und noch viel viel weiter :topmodel:

Suche....

• i'd stay with via kt333 as it's the most compatibe and the whole socket 462 platform is much more close to old good i440 bx than intel hub based chipsets. the only drawbacks are naked cpu chip and bad cpu cooler mount.

• i'd stay with via kt333 as it's the most compatibe and the whole socket 462 platform is much more close to old good i440 bx than intel hub based chipsets. the only drawbacks are naked cpu chip and bad cpu cooler mount.

Not all KT333 boards like the 6K only a few like from EPoX, MSI and Soyo also has one the KT333 Dragon Ultra or what they named it.
    Just make sure the KT333 NB revision is D or E and then you're mostly in good hands.

The EP-8K5A2/A3+ series were for my rev.A 3700 very unstable as where the EP-8K3A+ was rock solid the same for the MSI KT3 Ultra, yet others also witnessed instabilities with the MSI board, so it was not really recommended in that sense.

The ASUS A7V333-R is also a solid KT333 board but no post with all Voodoo5 6000 revisions.

Not sure how it is with your reverse engineered cards Anthony, but I would compare them to that of the Rev.A 3700 or rev.A 3900 as mainboard compatibility goes, just avoid using Tyan 760 MPX boards, these will permanently damage the Voodoo5 6000 over a long period of time, people that ignore this well it's totally on them then, I can't educate everyone and I know there are a few that ignore our advice's on such things.

But if using PCI variants you'll have more success when testing in boards that may not do well with AGP variants, that would be just my conclusion on the matter though.

• yea Slot A Is slow lie Pentium3 is, but to answer their questions yes it will work.
    I'd avoid Barton and stick with Thoroughbred-B instead , smaller dies they have a smaller chance of cracking, this was a major issue when it cae to Barton die's they are more vulnerable.

Also it's the EP-8K3A/8K3A+ you'd actually want for best stability, the EP-8K5A series I found very unstable even after recaps [...]

For the Bartons and T-Breads you can use one of these metal "protectors". I forgot the name... :D

By replacing the capacitors you may fix some problems but changing one thing may change some other things unwanted.

"Du bist und bleibst a Mensch und du kannst eben net deine menschlichkeit überwinden."

Dennis_50300

• Thanks for all Statements. A Slot A Thunderbird have morgen Power as an Pentium 3. CPU. My next question ist i will Not move to win2000...i use a Windows ME for native 9x and DOS Support. Problems with CPUs i Not have i am a CPU collector 20ty years Long. And a 3dfx collector;-) i have over 50 voodoos all classes. one Idea was i Test ist in dual Slot 2 with 2mb xeons...but Problem with dual Boards i need win2000:-( dual Boot was an option.

• yea Slot A Is slow lie Pentium3 is, but to answer their questions yes it will work.

Also it's the EP-8K3A/8K3A+ you'd actually want for best stability, the EP-8K5A series I found very unstable even after recaps [...]

For the Bartons and T-Breads you can use one of these metal "protectors". I forgot the name... :D

By replacing the capacitors you may fix some problems but changing one thing may change some other things unwanted.

Oh yea weren't they from copper or something or Aluminum I remember now yea haha xD
    They had a special name, like a spacer or something forgot what it was tho, as recaps go yea that can do a lot of good, Backfire is my go to guy for those things :)

Could of been the 3 8K5A2+ boards I had needed recaps but I can't know from the other 5 reports I got from them, back when I had the 6K from hank himself I stuck with the board he advised me which was the EPoX EP-8K3A+, an other good board was the 8K7A+ with the AMD 761 NB the one I am using now actually, the one that uses the VIA Apollo KT266A is also a decent choice, EP-8KHA+ I think it was, max CPU that supported was the AthlonXP 2600+ Thoroughbred B with 266mhz FSB, you could also use AthlonMP 2800+ which also has the 266Mhz FSB.

But agreed recaps saves lives.

i can confirm that the GA-7IXE4 runs fine with the V5 6k replica. It is not Slot A but the 751 Chipset ;)

Oh interesting so this is a Socket A board then, hmm maybe there is a Bios for AthlonXP 2100+ Palomino support, not sure if the AMD 751 chipset was given support for to see as it comes to Socket A though.
    Might be worth looking in to, as that a 2100+ is pretty decent for a Voodoo5 6000 based card, not the best choice, but still pretty decent.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (2. Mai 2023 um 19:41)

• The AMD751 is FSB100-only, so no XP2100+ ;)

The (very rare) XP1500+ FSB100 or the Thunderbird B 1400 are the fastest (supported) options for that board.

• The AMD751 is FSB100-only, so no XP2100+ ;)

The (very rare) XP1500+ FSB100 or the Thunderbird B 1400 are the fastest (supported) options for that board.

Someone here in the forum made another bios, that inofficially support (I guess) up to Barton cpus, so it is maybe possible to take a Athlon Xp-m and make a Pin Mod with hight multiplicator up to 2ghz or beyond at 100mhz Fsb. But it's much easier to take a kt133, kt266a or kt333 Chipset ^^

3dfx für die Ewigkeit...und noch viel viel weiter :topmodel:

Suche....

• I think it was Avenger who did some barton @ ga-7ixe4 experiments, but the fsb bottlenecks newer athlons hard, so it is completely senseless. The board is very slow in general. Here are some benchmarks in comparison to newer chipsets: https://www.retrohardware-reviews.de/socket-a-round…f-the-chipsets/

• That's right, I current running a Barton cpu with the GA-7IXE4 mainboard but I wouldn't say "completely senseless".

By using fast AGP 2x compatible cards like the ATi Radeon 9700 series I agree with Tweakstone, but for the Voodoo5 5500 is this a good choice in my eyes. Unfortunately I can't say anything about the V5 6k, I don't have one.

Die Pixel beschleunigt, die Kanten gefixt, lang leben die Karten von 3dfx! :spitze:

• if we're using aa modes it may change cpu dependence dramatically. for 4-chip cards numbers are: 2x mode makes it perform as 2 chip card (5500), 4x mode makes it perform as 1 chip card (4500), 8x mode makes it perform as a half of 4500 card, more likely as v2 card, thus p3-1000 or amd k7-1000 may be enough for 8x aa mode functioning. otherwise, in max perf mode c2d 2.0 ghz or equal is a good choice.