my initial Retro 3dfx build so far, AMD Athlon XP 2200+, 512MB, EPoX 8K3A, Windows 98 SE:

• Also: Clean up! Your Hardware is too dirty, especially the stuff you're actually touching with your hands (the keyboard!). It's fine if the cases and input devices are pulled from the trash, but at least show them some love before use! :)

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

Stolzer Besitzer eines 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP Prototypen:

• 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP HiNT Rev.A-3700

[//wp.xin.at] - No RISC, no fun!

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

Quote Bier.jpg@IRC 2020: "Je schlimmer der Fetisch, desto besser!"

• Die Panetenmissionen unter Wing Commander IV waren im SVGA Modus performancetechnisch immer eine Herausforderung, auch mit einem 233 MMX ruckelte es dann, darum hab ich den 4. Teil letztens auf meinem AMD K6-III+ 550 Sys durchgezockt, jederzeit eine 1A Performance.

Die WC IV Plantenmissionen müsste man mal mit einem Pentium 233 MMX und Pentium Pro auf 233 MHz getaktet, gegenüber stellen. 256kb/512kb/1024kb L2 Cache Versionen des PPro gibts ja auch noch.

Meinen Pentium Pro mit 1mb Cache habe ich nicht auf 233 MHz bekommen. Wobei ich fürchte, dass in SVGA der Cache keinen so großen Unterschied machen wird: Pentium Pros unter Quake

• My first time ever launching a Voodoo1 and on my childhood PC w/ Tomb Raider 1 !!!!!! Thanks everyone for all the awesome and continuing discussions making this possible

https://youtu.be/fO7rMdCk7Fw

(i also cleaned up the whole machine, wiped down the keyboard and mouse, tower, CRT with Clorox bleach wipes!!)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von erek (31. Dezember 2021 um 21:41)

• Unfortunately no chance for a Gravis UltraSound in the Voodoo1 Build:

then get a larger case so they will fit, should not be too hard right ;)

I'd stick with a 1999 built Addtronics 6896A Entry Level Server Tower and if you want something smaller the 2002 built A-Open H-600B can surely fit these easily.

• Unfortunately no chance for a Gravis UltraSound in the Voodoo1 Build:

then get a larger case so they will fit, should not be too hard right ;)

I'd stick with a 1999 built Addtronics 6896A Entry Level Server Tower and if you want something smaller the 2002 built A-Open H-600B can surely fit these easily.

it's my Childhood PC, HP 4443, so i don't want to change cases for this 3dfx Voodoo1 build

very much sentimental value, the Childhood PC, HP 4443 came from my Dad in 1998. Also the CRT came from my Grandmother.

• The audigy 2 zs for the voodoo5 / Athlon XP build is supposed to arrive today. I have been pondering. Is windows 98se or windows XP the best operating system for this? It has 512MB of Ram which is a lot in 98se but small for xP (does it matter?)

(also hearing recommendations for Windows 2000)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von erek (15. Januar 2022 um 20:10)

• In my opinion Win98SE is the way to go. I used Win98SE, Win2k and WinXP SP1 with my V5 (6000) and in the end I sticked to Win98SE. There is no better OS for 3dfx-era gaming. Period.

• In my opinion Win98SE is the way to go. I used Win98SE, Win2k and WinXP SP1 with my V5 (6000) and in the end I sticked to Win98SE. There is no better OS for 3dfx-era gaming. Period.

Hmm for me this was mostly Win2K Pro + SP4 & RU1 for SP4, far better stability and a much lower CPU overhead. the 6K is rock solid in Win2K plus I needed 2K pro for SFFT Alpha 41 Modified by ps47 & myself, we made this driver so we'd have OpenGL ES 1.2 Support so DXX Rebirth 0.58.1 with DXX Retro 1.3+ Could be used on VSA-100 & VSA-101 based cards.

ps47 did the modification I came up with the idea's to add in OpenGL ES 1.2 Support and I help main test the driver until it was stable, Win2K Pro & WinXP Pro were required for this driver, 98SE had no use for it.

So in the end this driver gave me the best Glide & Direct3D Performance in the system I was using at the time, which was this one:
    ---------------------------------
    Sveta 2002:

AMD AthlonXP 2700+ Thoroughbred-B @ 2167Mhz
    EPoX EP-8K3A+ VIA Apollo KT333CE Chipset
    1x 1GB PC-3200 CorSair Platinum X
    2x 512MB PC-2700 Samsung
    3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP 128MB rev.A 3700 + Internal Power Hookup done by Sir Gary Donovan & PCI Rework one by Sir Hank Semenec
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 Platinum

Win2K Pro USA + SP4 & RU1 for SP4
    SFFT Alpha 41 modified by ps47 & added idea's by myself, we both final tested this driver.
    ---------------------------------

After all the 3dfx ES boards I worked with I always came back to Win2K Pro, I guess we all have our different opinions on this or more say experiences may differ per user as well, which is fine :)
    In the end it also depends on what you are going to do with the system, I was more in to Combat Space & Flight sims and they ran like a rock underWin 2K Pro, 98SE always felt as a shady OS to me lol :topmodel:

• it was a lot of Riga moral to get the drivers installed!

you have to have a copy of the original Audigy 2 ZS Installation CD and install the WDM drivers (as default through the GUI)

then run the Creative Driver Updater Utility to switch to the high performing VXD drivers!

spent an entire evening working through issues until i watched this video:

https://youtu.be/RfmYYG1rVug