G. Donovan - Dodge Garage 3dfx Collection

• Hallo

Kann mir einer sagen warum seine Website nicht mehr online ist ?

http://www.thedodgegarage.com

Liegt das nur an mir oder meinem PC ?!

Ich kann leider seit Tagen nicht mehr auf seine Website zugreifen.

Im www habe ich leider nix zu gefunden, darum frage ich hier mal nach :).

Vielen Dank !

Beste Grüße und eine guten Rutsch ins neue Jahr !

<33DFX<3 ... eine alte Liebe !

Sehr stolzer Besitzer zweier 3dfx Voodoo 5 6000 !

Dusty Voodoo !

• Lädt hier. Langsam, aber die Seite lädt.

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

Stolzer Besitzer eines 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP Prototypen:

• 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP HiNT Rev.A-3700

[//wp.xin.at] - No RISC, no fun!

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

Quote Bier.jpg@IRC 2020: "Je schlimmer der Fetisch, desto besser!"

• Bei mir ist die Seite auch nicht mehr erreichbar..

Habe es von verschiedenen Geräten und den unterschiedlichsten Browsern versucht.

Main System: Intel Core i7 8700K \ ASUS Z370-F \ EVGA GeForce RTX 3090\ 32GB TridentZ DDR4-3200 \ Corsair MP400 2TB SSD

Retro System1: AMD Athlon T-Bird 1400MHz \ GA-7DX \ V5 5500 AGP \ 2x 256MB DDR1 Infineon \ 2x Maxtor Fireball 3 40GB (Raid 0)

Retro System2: AMD Athlon XP-m 2600+ \ EpoX 8K5A2+ \ StrangeGod AGP v5 6k \ 2x 512MB Corsair CMX512 \ 2x WD400 40GB

• No go here

Unable to connect

Waterfox can’t establish a connection to the server at http://www.thedodgegarage.com.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.

If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.

If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Waterfox is permitted to access the Web.

I think Gary needs to update his site so it supports newer gen web browsers, dunno what it really can be but something related to that the same happened with the dmdb aka Descent Mission Data Base, all of a sudden it's old website software was not comparable with current website software & platforms.

• Es kann sein, daß ich die Seite laden kann, weil ich die Timeoutschwellwerte meines Web Bowsers erhöht habe. Meiner wartet also länger auf die Daten des Servers. Für Firefox-artige Browser sind das sind die Einstellungen network.http.connection-timeout (Standard: 90 Sekunden / 1½ Minuten) & network.http.response.timeout (Standard: 300 Sekonden / 5 Minuten) auf about:config. Ich habe die auf 600 Sekunden (10 Minuten) gestellt, um mit bestimmten, sehr langsam ladenden Seiten auf meinem eigenen Server umzugehen.

Das sollte nicht damit zu tun haben, daß Gary's Seite alten Code benutzt. Wenn es überhaupt einen Einfluß hat, dann sollten alte Seiten eher schneller laden als moderne, nicht langsamer, einfach weil sie aus viel weniger komplexem Code bestehen. Es ist daher weit wahrscheinlicher, daß es sich hier um Serverprobleme handelt. Möglicherweise wird der Server gerade attackiert oder ist sonstwie überladen. Könnte sein, vor allem wenn es ein Shared Host ist.

Ich weiß nicht ob Gary's öffentliche eMail Adresse auch die ist, die er wirklich liest, aber man kriegt sie, wenn man einen NIC Whois auf die "thedodgegarage.com" Domain absetzt. Man könnte ihm eine eMail schreiben, um ihn ob des aktuellen Zustands seines Servers in Kenntnis zu setzen, sofern er es selbst noch nicht bemerkt hat.

Edit: Beitrag zweisprachig gemacht.

I may be able to load the site because I have increased my web browser's timeout threshold. So that may be why some of your browsers time out before the server is able to send you the data. It's the properties network.http.connection-timeout (default: 90 seconds / 1½ minutes) & network.http.response.timeout (default: 300 seconds / 5 minutes) on about:config for Firefox-type browsers. I set them to 600 seconds (10 minutes) to deal with certain very-slow-loading sites on my own server.

This should have nothing to do with Gary's site using old code. If anything, such old sites would load faster, not slower than modern ones, as they consist of far less complex code. It's thus far more likely to be related to server issues. Maybe the server he's on is being attacked or otherwise overloaded at the moment. Could be, especially if it's a shared host.

I'm not sure whether his public eMail address is the one he really reads, but you can get it by running a NIC whois on the "thedodgegarage.com" domain. One could write him an eMail to inform him about the situation, should he himself not yet be aware.

Edit: Made this post bi-lingual.

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von GrandAdmiralThrawn (1. Januar 2022 um 07:07)

• Hmm, maybe it doesn't work in modern versions anymore. There was talk about using the operating system's defaults instead of their own implementation, and I'm using a fork of a veeery old version (Pale Moon, not original Firefox). Could be, not sure.

I just measured the time it takes for me to load the [3dfx part] of the site:

• 88 seconds for the first textual content to appear
    • 300 seconds (5 minutes) for a full display

Result:

It did load, albeit very slowly (Click to enlarge)

So, somebody who knows him should probably let him know, as clearly there is at least something wrong there. A site based on such simple, static HTML code should never take this long to load. It's below even V.92 modem speed as far as I can see.

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

• Yea still no go, this is why I discard the likes for new gen crap, it ruins the function of retro and old gen things, even it should be backwards compliant and not just backwards compatible.

In the end it's up to the website owner to update their website software so it does work well with modern systems.
    The exact same happened to the dmdb, we got a new site ow with a backup of the entire dmdb which is now named:

Descent Mission Archive instead of Descent Mission Data Base:
    https://sectorgame.com/dxma/

And this runs fine.

• Edit: I think I understand now how some people cannot connect at all, see at the end of this post!

Updating the software won't help though. I'm asking you to trust me on my understanding of web software: He is using static HTML. That's like, there isn't even any code, or anything you could call "software". There is no software, it's just pure HTML markup. Every browser (new or old) can render that perfectly fine. It doesn't get more compatible than this.

Here's an example I took just now, latest unmodified Firefox 95.0.2 on Windows 11:

Same result (Click to enlarge)

So, what needs fixing is not the website (as there isn't even anything you can "fix" there), but rather the server or maybe the networking infrastructure between the server and us, the clients. Just installing some modern content management system instead of using pure HTML won't solve this at all.

Given how it loads for me in an unmodified Firefox 95.0.2 on Windows 11 (albeit very slowly as well) seems to indicate that the situation differs based on the client's geographical location. This might indicate routing / networking issues somewhere along the way.

Out of curiosity, I ran a qui... not so quick traceroute on his server host. Typically, this takes just a few seconds and completes in under 20 hops to a US web host, but here... uh... Not so:

I have a feeling there might be something very wrong with the network route from Europe to The Dodge Garage.

Edit 2: I just tried to trace a route to the server from the neighboring town where I have some more computers running. Those computers are on a totally different local networking infrastructure, even a different backbone. Naturally, they also use different DNS servers. To my surprise I could not trace, because even the name itself would not resolve!

You can easily test this yourself on a Windows cmd.exe terminal by entering: nslookup.exe www.thedodgegarage.com. If the name does not resolve to an IP, there its no chance of you ever reaching the host. The IP should be 216.17.81.51. You can try to trace a route e.g. like this: tracert.exe -h 200 www.thedodgegarage.com or like this, if the name does not resolve for you: tracert.exe -h 200 216.17.81.51.

Typing the IP into your web browser won't help you though, that won't work. It's a shared web host going by the name of "web1.mcnallans.com".

Trying to complete the trace failed even over 200 (!!) hops. The network route appears to be broken.

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von GrandAdmiralThrawn (2. Januar 2022 um 21:35)

• Well that did work, after some lines it leaves timeouts tho

And yes it did share "web1.mcnallans.com", as my screenshot clearly does mention

As this goes:

Zitat

I have a feeling there might be something very wrong with the network route from Europe to The Dodge Garage.

Or he basically banned EU IP's to gain access to it so it's a USA only website, or the government did this , such things don't occur by their own, it takes one human or several to make such drastic changes.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (3. Januar 2022 um 09:55)

• Windows 7 Pro SP1, Firefox 95.0.2 (64-Bit), keine(!) von GATs vorgeschlagenen Änderungen in about:config: Die Seite ist extrem langsam, aber lädt. Mein eingestellter DNS - Server ist der von Digitalcourage. Ob das einen Unterschied macht?

---

Windows 7 Pro SP1, Firefox 95.0.2 (64-Bit), none(!) of GATs suggested changes in about:config: The site is extremely slow, but it loads. My DNS - server is set to the one of Digitalcourage. Maybe that makes a difference?

Die Schlüppies sind großartig! ^^

--

The boxers are great! ^^

• It's far more likely that it's just a technical problem though. It's far more likely than the government 1.) locking down some obscure website with zero significance to homeland security and 2.) doing it so badly that some people from the outside can still access it. If "the government" wants to lock you down, they will just kick your door in and force you to comply. Much easier than messing with complex routing software hacks.

And Gary banning the entire EU? Now I don't know him personally, but on average I'd say the likelihood of that would be near-zero? How likely is that in comparison to just some network glitch happening?

So chances are it's just some network glitch happening, nothing fancy going on here.

Why doesn't somebody just drop him an eMail already?!

Edit: Just saw your post now, SK1. The DNS is a part of the problem. But there is more wrong than just name resolution.

Edit 2: Alright, since nobody else seems to be willing to (doesn't anyone here know him a bit?), I'll just drop him an eMail...

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

• Obviously, as that's a different server. Anyway, here's my message to Gary, I hope he's checking that public eMail address of his:

Edit: Had to put Gary's domain name in inline code tags, as my very special friend the forum software would otherwise force the http:// protocol handler on it.

Dateien

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

• Bei mir lädt es auch extrem langsam, dauert halt um die 5 Min bis alles da ist. Erinnert an ein 28k Modem, Browser ist der Waterfox classic.

For me it also loads extremely slowly, just takes about 5 min until everything is there. Reminiscent of a 28k modem, browser is the Waterfox classic.

• Gary needs to update that site, I mean seriously :/:rolleyes:
    If other sites load fine, why can't this one? It's surely an issue on his end for not getting things sorted over than just going through all this trouble. it's not something everyone can do either, in the end that site is regarded useless for many people.
    It should not have to be so complicated to open a simple website.

But there may be other ways to get around that, since 90% of us do have Retro PC's here's my idea -->

If you still have a system with Win 98SE + UnOfficial SP2.3, Win2K Pro + SP4 & RU1 for SP4 or WinXP Pro + SP3 these old Operating Systems might have a functioning browser that will allow you to access it much easier maybe?
    With this maybe our retro PC's can be more of use for things like this as well?

Even though I do think that modern systems should not have so much trouble accessing that site, it's great for those that have no issues, even so that does not solve it for most people that can't access it, I get that with bug testing with Ascentroid as well as drivers for AMD a lot, especially someone tells me their game is not crashing without adding any critical important info on how and why it is working for them and not for me, always leaves a major Sigh X/

I use my K-Proxy account and it loads there as well
    https://to017.ca027.oraclecdn.com/priv___ate/ser…/3dfx/index.htm

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (3. Januar 2022 um 17:53)

• Why are you still saying that? I don't understand. Again, this is clearly not about the site being old, and no updating any web software will make any difference here. So whether you use an old or a new browser simply doesn't matter here. This is an infrastructural problem with the network or the server nodes.

That you can access the site through your K-Proxy is yet another indicator for this being a networking problem completely outside of Gary's control. The internet is a bit more complex than just your box and his box being connected by a single wire, you know? There are a thousand things in between that can break, and often do.

It's like you're suggesting an operating system upgrade to fix a broken DSL router. You can install your operating system as many times as you want, it won't fix that broken router, no matter what. The correct thing to do would be to just get a new router to go back online, not to mess with known good software.

Same thing here.

In the meantime, Gary replied to my mail, telling me he has notified the server administrator, requesting a fix. Now, time to calmly lean back and wait and see. Not much either of us or Gary can do here. Let the Pro's do their job.

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

• And yes... I keep saying that it's because what most common people would do, plus don't know how to code, it's just a common reaction, more not.
    It's all what my mind can come up with, which was for me an obvious reaction, I don't get how these things work, probably I'd never will, I don't even know how to program, I beta test games & drivers or websites friends of mine made, I seek bugs nothing else then I make detailed bug reports, but that is really it.

So my bad if I didn't get it much as most coders will get. no one is the same.

Zitat von GrandAdmiralThrawn

... In the meantime, Gary replied to my mail, telling me he has notified the server administrator, requesting a fix. Now, time to calmly lean back and wait and see. Not much either of us or Gary can do here. Let the Pro's do their job.

Yus, lets hope they can heal this magical site.

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (3. Januar 2022 um 19:41)