G. Donovan - Dodge Garage 3dfx Collection

• Let's just say I don't think any coder can help. Who can help are server & network admins. The guys who run the machines... Anyway, they're on it now, let's see how it goes. No matter what state the site's gonna be in in a week's time, I'll then write another mail to Gary, just to see what they told him was or might be the reason.

Edit: Whoopsie, just got another Mail asking for how it looks. And it's looking pretty good for me, site loads fast again on all three my client machines, from XP x64 over Windows 11 all the way to FreeBSD UNIX. I'll ask him whether hew knows what the reason was!

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

Stolzer Besitzer eines 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP Prototypen:

• 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP HiNT Rev.A-3700

[//wp.xin.at] - No RISC, no fun!

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

Quote Bier.jpg@IRC 2020: "Je schlimmer der Fetisch, desto besser!"

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von GrandAdmiralThrawn (3. Januar 2022 um 20:07)

• Let's just say I don't think any coder can help. Who can help are server & network admins. The guys who run the machines... Anyway, they're on it now, let's see how it goes. No matter what state the site's gonna be in in a week's time, I'll then write another mail to Gary, just to see what they told him was or might be the reason.

Yes that would be best, well keep us updated then, I do hope that site's issues can get fixed, always loved reading all the things Gary has :)
    Also I hope that Gary & Leah are doing well :)

• Please try to re-load the site! It's speedy for me again! Let's see how it's for you and other people!

Maybe they just rebooted the server or the VM? Let's see what Gary says! :)

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

• Löst's bei dir am DNS auf? Wenn nicht, dann dauert's vielleicht nur bis deine DNS Server die Einträge haben.

Edit: Mail von Gary. Es hat eine DNS Rekonfiguration gegeben, die für seinen Server scheinbar nicht korrekt angewendet wurde. Wenn da jetzt DNS Zonen geändert wurden in der Konfig, dann kann's schon sein daß das ein paar Stunden braucht bis es bei jedem geht.

Does it resolve on your DNS? If no, then it might just take a while for your DNS servers to get the records.

Edit: Mail from Gary. There was a DNS reconfiguration, that was seemingly improperly applied or not applied at all for his server. If they changed DNS zones in the config just now, then it might take a few hours to apply for everybody.

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von GrandAdmiralThrawn (3. Januar 2022 um 21:25)

• The old rule of thumb I remember from the olden days of webhosting was to wait for 24-48 hours to let DNS records propagate through the hierarchical DNS structure. So everything should work after at most 48 hours after the fix was applied. We'll see whether it actually does soon enough. ;)

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

• The old rule of thumb I remember from the olden days of webhosting was to wait for 24-48 hours to let DNS records propagate through the hierarchical DNS structure. So everything should work after at most 48 hours after the fix was applied. We'll see whether it actually does soon enough. ;)

Oh okay, well I was wondering since it worked on the double for you and you are much further away from Gary as I am, hence why.
    within 48 a 72 hours I will post an update then just to be sure.

• Hold your horses, we're not 100% through yet!

Oh okay, well I was wondering since it worked on the double for you and you are much further away from Gary as I am, hence why.

Looking forward to it! Don't forget to force-reload with CTRL+F5, just in case.

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

• Geht leider immer noch nicht.

Ich freue mich aber das dieses Thema so viel Aufmerksamkeit gefunden hat.

Diese Seite MUSS wieder online gehen und für jeden erreichbar sein.

Beste Grüße

Sebastian

<33DFX<3 ... eine alte Liebe !

Sehr stolzer Besitzer zweier 3dfx Voodoo 5 6000 !

Dusty Voodoo !

• So we got mixed results. It's been long enough for DNS records to have fully dripped down the structure, so this should not be the issue.

Should not.

However, our DNS servers at work (different network, different town) still fail to resolve "thedodgegarage.com" to IP 216.17.81.52, like they should. Plus, even access to the IP does not work there, here's a quick test on my Linux workstation within said network:

Code
    [user@host ~]$ nslookup www.thedodgegarage.com
    ;; Got SERVFAIL reply from 193.171.87.249, trying next server
    Server:         193.171.87.249
    Address:        193.171.87.249#53

** server can't find www.thedodgegarage.com: NXDOMAIN

[user@host ~]$ telnet 216.17.81.52 80
    Trying 216.17.81.52...
    telnet: connect to address 216.17.81.52: Connection refused

Here at home, the same thing works just fine though, using the Quad 9 DNS as upstream servers:

Code
    thrawn@raspberrypi:~ $ nslookup www.thedodgegarage.com
    Server:         9.9.9.9
    Address:        9.9.9.9#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:   www.thedodgegarage.com
    Address: 216.17.81.52

At this point this kind of exceeds my admittedly quite limited knowledge about "what can go wrong on the Internet". Now curious, I tried to run this through my actual Internet Service Provider's DNS servers as well, this one's on MS Windows:

Code
    C:\>nslookup.exe www.thedodgegarage.com
    Server:  co1.inode.at
    Address:  195.58.160.194

Nicht autorisierte Antwort:
    Name:    www.thedodgegarage.com
    Address:  216.17.81.52

Now I honestly expected this last one to fail (Austrian DNS server), but it does actually succeed. Running telnet.exe 216.17.81.52 80 and hitting CTRL+c right afterwards shows that the server responds with a correct "HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request" status code in HTML. That behaviour is absolutely correct and expected. So my provider's DNS resolves the name as it should be, same as the Quad 9 one. Cloudflare DNS also seems to work.

What I absolutely fail to understand is how both DNS resolution and basic reachability of the host (e.g. with telnet to port 80) are broken on certain networks. This looks really weird. I would still get it if DNS was broken, even after this long. I would also get it if the route was broken, but those two are entirely unconnected subsystems; routing and name resolution. How in the world would both break at the same time for specific networks? Exceeds my knowledge and experience.

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

• Hold your horses, we're not 100% through yet!

Looking forward to it! Don't forget to force-reload with CTRL+F5, just in case.

Still a no go CTRL + F5 doesn't do anything with Firefox/Waterfox.

• When you open a cmd.exe Terminal and run the command nslookup.exe www.thedodgegarage.com, what's the output? I'm guessing it won't resolve the name to an IP address, but this is just to make sure it's still a DNS problem. Once I have your reply, I'll pitch it to Gary.

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

• Code
    nslookup www.thedodgegarage.com
    Server:         192.168.0.17
    Address:        192.168.0.17#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:   www.thedodgegarage.com
    Address: 216.17.81.52
    Code
    curl -v www.thedodgegarage.com
    *   Trying 216.17.81.52:80...
    * connect to 216.17.81.52 port 80 failed: Connection refused
    * Failed to connect to www.thedodgegarage.com port 80: Connection refused
    * Closing connection 0

The same thing happens in browsers as well.

Edit: Just tested this from a few different hosts and all of them work (Hetzner, OVH, EWE-Tel) only Deutsche Telekom seems to be blocked.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von valnesh (18. Januar 2022 um 11:04)