Voodoo5 6000 und Voodoo5 6000 by Anthony (Snowhite) compabilty

• Moin,

Ich hätte da auch noch eine Frage, bevor meine Snow White ankommt: kann ich sie in meinem ASUS CUV4X-D (2x Tualatin 1.4GHz, FSB 133MHz, VIA Apollo Pro 133A, NB: VT82C694XDP, SB: VT82C686B, AGP Pro 4x, BIOS: 1x/2x/4x selectable) betreiben? Die V5 5500 AGP läuft schon Jahre ohne Probleme. Sollte ich im BIOS AGP 2x auswählen oder kann das auf 4x bleiben und das Mainboard / die Snow White machen automatisch dann nur 2x? Ich frage deshalb, da in der INKOMPATIBEL-Liste 2 ASUS Mainboards sind, die von der Bezeichnung her sehr ähnlich sind: TUV4X (VIA VT82C694T) und CUBX-L (Intel BX).

English:

I have a question before my Snow White arrives soon: can I use it in my ASUS CUV4X-D (2x Tualatin 1.4GHz, FSB 133MHz, VIA Apollo Pro 133A, NB: VT82C694XDP, SB: VT82C686B, AGP Pro 4x, BIOS: 1x/2x/4x selectable) safely? The V5 5500 AGP works like a charm for years now. Should I select AGP 2x in the BIOS or can I leave it at 4x and the mainboard / the Snow White run on 2x automatically? I'm just asking because apparently there are 2 ASUS mainboards in the INCOMPATIBLE list that sound very similar: TUV4X (VIA VT82C694T) and CUBX-L (Intel BX).

Bis dahin,

Marcus

Suche noch Hardware folgender Hersteller:
    - Quantum3D

- Canopus

• Well, no guarantee it will work, but at least the CUV4X-D shouldn't fry your Snow White. In theory the board should detect the possible AGP setting, but my advice would be to adjust some settings, since the first handshake on bootup between card and board can be problematic (it's very timing dependent and the HiNT/PLX bridge is a bit bitchy).

Set the AGP to 1x (it's the max. the card can handle) and make sure to disable Sideband Adressing.

---

When I get my card I will test the following boards:

- Fujitsu Siemens D1107 (440BX)

- Fujitsu Siemen D1215/1219 (i815E)

- MSI K7T266 Pro (Apollo KT266)

• Just trying to figure out some possible reasons or lets better say red flags behind that behavior. As in regard of the i815 Chipset it is not true in general. As even this list is showing an Intel 815E Board running the rev3700 Voodoo5 6k and I know this comes from a user on vogons that took this Intel reference Board and had success. So far the only mentioned difference between the 815E and 815EP chipset is the Tualatin support, although Intel officially updated this one 815E reference board to support Tualatins. That is why the user on vogons is running the 6k with a 1400 MHz Tualatin. And seems to run even today.

I did not find many documented reports about the Intel 815 Chipsets. So this list is showing the Asus P3C - Intel 820 Chipset to be compatible. Does this mean it is the only 820 chipset based motherboard that is safe to use or just the only one tested and documented?

As there are Intel 820 and Intel 815E boards confirmed to run the Voodoo5 6k have really all these 30-40 815EP Boards been tested and documented? 370 Boards I have my doubts about that. Maybe if someone figured some kind of incompatibility with a changed protocol of the AGP bus in the new revision of the 815EP chipset or something like that, but couldn't find any hint proving that. Therefore I asked where this information comes from.

Dont get me wrong the point is not to question you or to ignore your advice, but the recommended EPOX 8K3a boards are almost not available anymore. EPOX did use shitty caps, therefore most boards are gone today. And even if there is one on ebay it is defective in most cases and no guarantee you can fix it. So the search about the suitable board is not about the most proven one, but more about those that might be available and functional.

Maybe that Vogons guy did all the digging out with those boards, I myself never used Intel, just too many unwanted instabillity issues.
    I always preferred AMD AthlonXP due to the much better performance thanks to the better performing GFPU, AMD's K7 architecture was their ZEN3+ of 2000-2002.

As the EP-8K3A+ goes you are 200% correct here, but you can thank all the hoarders for rage buying out most everything that was left, People that have like 5+ of the same damn thing, all the people that actually deserve them are left out. all because all the stock is gone..

Hmm maybe if the 8K3A+ could be remade like in the form of a Reverse Engineered release hmm that would be nice right :)
    Maybe an idea for Anthony :)
    Also every mainboard from those days used low quality capacitors, they were all bad some were even undervalue :topmodel: hey it sells right so it's fine that is how it mostly went lol
    But hey there is a cure to that, recaps can always be done to improve them by a large margin, Backfire's work surely proved that well <3

As for my knowledge well ... I can only pass on what I have learned from the masters like Hank, Gary, VMAN, osckhar & Gamma742 and others from the Voodoo5 6000 Resource Group forums, feel free to ask them ya know, you can always try asking them, I can only pass on on what they passed on to me, the basics I always stuck to so far not one card died on those I have aided.

A P3-S 1400 is too slow for a 6K to be very honest, but if there is nothing else to use Yea they may have to do I guess and I know Intel users love these CPU's, as for Vogons *ergh* not a fan of that place myself, they always tend to come from a very biassed knowledge always thinking they know it better than anyone, they make you look like a dumb rat as if you don't know shite, I deprive that place, so I always avoid it and yes I deleted my account there some time back, they were never kind to me always coming to me with their respect less and careless manners.
    Even when it comes to the 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 it's self, their knowledge on that sector is poor, it's lacking and it's purely unreliable.

The P6 Architecture was decent for it's time, yet AMD's K7 was better thanks to the much better performing Floating Point Unit they have over anything Intel had against them,

You won't notice much difference from using a 5500 AGP & 6000 AGP with many things if using slow under powered P3's of any kind, P3 is nice for Voodoo2 SLI or Voodoo3 3500 maybe a Voodoo4 4500 but that is really it.
    Why use an under powered CPU that is holding back the optimal performance? Why stick to date or period correct parts while you can get much more performance from parts than are 1 a 2 years newer?
    This is why I Use an AthlonXP 2700+ with my 6K back in 2005 to 2009.

But hey there are still some alternatives you just gotta look around more really. also if you have an AMD 761 or VIA KT266 or KT333CD/CE based board please use that, I can help look for a KT333CE or CD rev based board but yea like you said not many are around, you'd have to stick to private deals it's how I find my things these days.

But yea, I am dearly sorry I don't know everything or left alone can't prove everything, i can only pass on what was given on to me, even it has been along time since i really aided Voodoo5 6000 users & owners.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (22. November 2022 um 11:52)

• Ja, aber soweit ich mich erinnere wurde die neue SB ausschließlich zusammen mit einer neueren Revision des 645DX verbaut (bei allen Herstellern), wo dann keine 3,3V am AGP mehr bereitgestellt werden. Ich müsste mich wieder reinrecherchieren, aber nehmt einfach für euch mit und glaubt mir: steckt keine AGP 3,3V Karte in ein Board mit SiS 645DX und SB 962(L). Bei den Boards mit 961er SB gibt es auch keine Garantie auf 3,3V AGP, aber die Möglichkeit.

Ah, okay.

Der Chipsatz ist auch nicht besonders gut für Voodoos. Ich hatte mal nen Board mit dem Chipsatz (ECS irgendwas), welches mit meiner V5 ab und zu beim Starten bunte Muster anzeigte. Nach einem Neustart gings dann aber immer.

"Du bist und bleibst a Mensch und du kannst eben net deine menschlichkeit überwinden."

Dennis_50300

• Ich würde den Chipsatz jetzt nicht als schlecht für Voodoos bezeichnen, er kommt wohl nur gern auf nicht so guten Boards vor :D

Sowohl das SA7 als auch das Asus P4S533 sind exzellente Boards mit dem 645DX. Das SA7 bietet sogar Support für HT, das Asus nicht. Aber sind beide wirklich gut und laufen beide top mit der V5 6000.

• Na schlecht isser nicht. Hatte das ASRock GE Pro M2 und das war echt gut. Fraß sogar den Presscott. :spitze:

"Du bist und bleibst a Mensch und du kannst eben net deine menschlichkeit überwinden."

Dennis_50300

• Diese Liste hier ist von AmigaMerlin von 3dfxzone.it:

Hi guys,
    here a list of mb that are compatible with voodoo5 6k.

These MB were tested by me and are fully compatible with 3dfx Voodoo5 6000
    - JETWAY VB266
    - GIGABYTE 7VRX(P) (VIA KT333)
    - GIGABYTE 7VTXE (VIA KT266)
    - MSI KT3ULTRA2 (KT333)
    - ECS K7S5A (SIS 735)
    - DUAL XP TYAN S2466N TIGER MPX (AMD 760 MPX)

These MAINBOARD that are defined compatible by forum users
    - MSI KT3 ULTRA ARU (KT333)
    - MSI K7D MASTER-L
    - ECS K7VTA3 (KT333)
    - ALBATRON KX400+ Pro (bios R106b) (KT333) - V5 6K 3500 - A3
    - Asus P3B-F 1.04 (Intel BX) (Do NOT use the newest BIOS Version, but second to newest!)
    - Intel OR840 Workstation Mainboard / IBM IntelliStation M Pro 6868

Other MAINBOARD that are defined compatible taked from the site of LOGICAL MADNESS (http://www.voodoo6000.com/)
    - ABIT KD7E (VIA KT333)
    - SOYO DRAGON ULTRA (VIA KT333)
    - ABIT SA7 (SiS 745DX)
    - Epox 8k5a (VIA KT333)
    - MSI 7MS6561 (SIS745DX)

MAINBOARD for PIV that are usable with 6k taked from http://www.voodoo6000.com/
    - GIGABYTE GA-8SIMLH (SiS 651)
    - SOYO P4S DRAGON ULTRA (SiS 645)

Bye

PS. List Updated 05/04/2004
    PPS : List updated 05/02/2006 (Albatron)

Edit :
    It can make a difference which revision of the V5 6000 you have.

Suche noch Hardware folgender Hersteller:
    - Quantum3D

- Canopus

• Wenn diese Liste oder link dazu noch mal kommt direkt 5 Euro ins Phrasenachwein.

According to Goldleader at least behind the Tyan dual and MSI KT3 Ultra boards is a big question mark, if they might killing the cards over the long run. Also Tweakstone mentioned that the Abit SA7 comptibility depends on the southbridge that has been used. Besides the northbridge is named 645DX and not 745DX. So..hmmm...

Maybe it could help to ask the manufacturer of the HINT bridge if they have any clue or might be aware of any known issues regarding their chip and it comptibilities.

• Moin Leute, ich sehe der Thread ist im Gange und ihr könnt gerne alles an Tipps, Mainboards und Listen raushauen was ihr so habt, Doppelposts sind nicht schlimm. Ich arbeite nach und nach alles durch was hier so kommt und versuche es im ersten Thread zusammenzufassen.

Ihr dürft mir auch gerne Feedback geben falls ihr Ideen oder Anmerkungen habt, immer gerne raus damit. Ich habe nicht so viel Zeit, versuche so wie es mir möglich ist diesen Thread zu pflegen.

Ich habe es im ersten Thread schon geschrieben, aber trotzdem nochmal an alle die, die ihre 6000 frisch in Betrieb nehmen wollen, die Mainboards die ich da aufliste habe ich selbst nicht getestet, deshalb vorher bitte das zu Herzen nehmen was ich am Anfang des Threads geschrieben habe (kurze Anweisungen zum abarbeiten)

3dfx für die Ewigkeit...und noch viel viel weiter :topmodel:

Suche....

• Very nice, when my card arrive, i will test it on my AOPEN DX2G Plus and Siemens Boards with i820 and RAMBUS

3dfx für die Ewigkeit...und noch viel viel weiter :topmodel:

Suche....

• English

I have an idea:

Why not create an AGP Analyzer Board?

With all the genius minds on this forum, who have already demonstrated their skills, is it possible that we cannot create a Debug tool like this?

It would be enough to apply this analysis tool on a specially built Debug Video Card with a pci bridge managed by the HINT chip. Measure all the reference values on a "safe" motherboard, declared 100% compatible, compare them with the values measured on a motherboard declared 100% "not compatible" or "vga Killer", compare them, understand which values are positive, which are negative, and finally write a "reading guide", so as to be able to subsequently evaluate the "candidate" motherboards, exclusively with this tool, not putting at risk video cards that do not have an analysis tool that would allow, in the event of damage, the identification of the fault and repair.

The video card Analyzer, does not necessarily have to have a VSA-100 chip, just a chip that is known and available on the world market, for 3d graphics, that has a pci compatible version, and exploit it with pci HINT bridge.

In my head it is already working, now we have to see if it can be applied to reality.;)

Ich habe eine Idee:

Warum nicht ein AGP Analyzer Board erstellen?

Ist es möglich, dass wir bei all den genialen Köpfen in diesem Forum, die ihre Fähigkeiten bereits unter Beweis gestellt haben, kein solches Debug-Tool entwickeln können?

Es würde genügen, dieses Analysewerkzeug auf einer speziell gebauten Debug-Videokarte mit einer vom HINT-Chip verwalteten pci-Brücke anzuwenden. Messen Sie alle Referenzwerte auf einem "sicheren" Motherboard, das als 100 % kompatibel deklariert ist, vergleichen Sie sie mit den Werten, die auf einem Motherboard gemessen wurden, das als 100 % "nicht kompatibel" oder "vga Killer" deklariert ist, vergleichen Sie sie, verstehen Sie, welche Werte positiv und welche negativ sind, und schreiben Sie schließlich eine "Leseanleitung", um anschließend die "Kandidaten"-Hauptplatinen ausschließlich mit diesem Tool bewerten zu können, ohne Videokarten zu gefährden, die nicht über ein Analysewerkzeug verfügen, das im Schadensfall die Identifizierung des Fehlers und die Reparatur ermöglichen würde.

Der Video Card Analyzer muss nicht notwendigerweise einen VSA-100 Chip haben, sondern nur einen Chip, der auf dem Weltmarkt für 3D-Grafik bekannt und verfügbar ist, der eine pci kompatible Version hat, und ihn mit pci HINT bridge ausnutzen.

In meinem Kopf funktioniert es bereits, jetzt müssen wir sehen, ob es sich auf die Realität übertragen lässt.;)

• A brilliant idea for sure <3

But now to make it a hypothetical theory to call it a scientific theory, yea that is the hardest part.
    Also you have to hope it measures with accuracy, that the result may not be what you hoped for.

How to make it reliable is an other question.

• That is a good Idea. Maybe with a socket for the PLX so that you can change it when it burns.

Gute Idee! Evlt mit einem sockel für die PLX, so dass man sie austauschen kann.

Den kannst du nicht bezahlen...

Dennis_50300

• Moin zusammen,

ich habe nun endlich auch Anthonys Wunder griffbereit. Was hier offenbar nicht zur Sprache kam: Wie steht's um die Kompatibilität der PCI-Version? Theoretisch viel kompatibler, bringen diese Varianten laut den Nutzern ganz neue Herausforderungen. Hat hier schon jemand etwas zusammengetragen? Besonders spannend ist hier neben der grundsätzlichen Kompatibilität zu Boards und Treibern auch die PCI-Geschwindigkeit des Chipsatzes. IIRC hat hier Modlabs schon etwas Schönes zusammengetragen; ich muss mal den Link herausfischen. Und ich werde sie in einem B550 ausprobieren (ja, AM4). :D

___

What about Anthony's PCI versions? Is any collection of knowledge out there? These cards seem to need special care in terms of drivers, although they are much more compatible with modern chipsets. I'm planning tests with B550/AM4 - wish me luck. :D

MfG
    Raff

• PCI cards should be fine I would think, the PCI bus is always 33 or 66Mhz like the V5 PCI Mac, as for on how the PLX chip behaves best thing we can do is research this what happens, it is a good question Raff
    Upside no 3.3Volt AGP voltage is needed to keep a worry for, for PCI it may be safer to use any mainboard out there, but I don't want to confirm this just yet, a V5 PCI or V5 PCI Mac is certainly not like a V56K PCI in that sense.

It all depends on how the PLX PCI to PCI Bridge chip will behave.

What about Anthony's PCI versions? Is any collection of knowledge out there? These cards seem to need special care in terms of drivers, although they are much more compatible with modern chipsets. I'm planning tests with B550/AM4 - wish me luck. :D

MfG
    Raff

Just make sure you run the PCI bus at 33Mhz which I would assume it would run if that board has 32Bit PCI 2.3 Slots.
    Then again the low PCI bus speed will bottleneck your 6K's absolute performance a 32Bit 66Mhz PCI 2.3 Slot or a 64Bit PCI-X Slot with 32Biot 66Mhz Bus support would be recommended.

Ah well ya know the basics and all I would hope :topmodel: Test it see what happens, the good thing is that Anthony's cards do have slight improvements over the 3dfx originals so maybe less troublesome too.

• Na ja, ersten Benches zufolge sind diese Karten deutlich langsamer, weil der PCI für diese Karten eine übelste Bremse ist.

Der punktemäßige Schwanzvergleich 2001 profitiert natürlich davon, aber auch nur wegen der deutlich schnelleren CPU, z.B. auf Sockel 2011.

Dennis_50300

• Ja, das Testen mit den 3dmarks ohne Angaben der fps in den Gameszenarien ist nicht viel Wert.

Was nutzen einem vielleicht 3500 Punkte im 3dmark2001 durch CPU Power wenn UT am Ende auch nicht viel schneller läuft als mit einem guten Voodoo5 5500 AGP System. Klar, bisschen mehr Luft in den FSAA Modi wird man haben, aber erhofft sich doch etwas mehr.

Bei den Voodoo2 SLI Systemen konnte man schon beobachten (ich glaub Tweakstone predigt das auch schon seit Jahren), dass ein BX System dicke P4s nass machen kann.

Wenn eine Plattform getestet wird (egal ob nun PCI oder AGP), wären für mich viel interessanter wie z.B. die min und avg frames in UT aussehen.

Ein framedrop unter 30 fps empfinde ich als störender als denn Unterschied zwischen 100 oder 120 fps.

PCI ist wie ein Minipillemann. Kann man zwar überall reinstecken, aber obs am Ende die gleiche Freude bereitet ist so die Frage.

• 3D Mark 2001 SE ist (neben modernen Spielen mit HTnL-Auslegung) der wohl interessanteste Test, den man einer Voodoo vorsetzen kann. Einerseits hilft eine dicke CPU massiv, da sie die Polygone vorbereitet und der Voodoo kredenzt. Andererseits bremst dabei der Flaschenhals AGP oder PCI (Letzterer massiv mehr). Es gibt nun mal keinen Vertex Cache auf der Karte. Daher muss man einen Kompromiss finden, der irgendwo in der Mitte liegt. Ein Athlon XP jenseits von 2 GHz, am besten in Kombination mit übertakteten AGP, kann eine V5 5500 bestmöglich auslasten. Bei einer V5 6000 braucht's aber größere Kaliber und das macht die Sache nicht leicht. Andererseits kann man eben auch machen, für was die Göttin wirklich gebaut wurde: geiles AA! Dann braucht man nur noch nen Benzium 3. :D

LOL @ Schniepelvergleich, finde ich passend. :spitze:

___

Btw, here's the link to Modlabs with some info regarding PCI performance:
    https://www.modlabs.net/articles/retur…/3#.Yfjx2vgxkhM

Beste Grüße,
    Raff