8K3A+ vs. 8K5A2+ vs. 8k5A3+ for V56K / S.U.X. 6000 / Snow White?

• Ich habe ja eine Snow White hier liegen und möchte mir den "perfekten" Unterbau für die V56K Replika bauen.

Ich habe ein ECS Elitegroup V7KTA3 günstig geschossen und werde das (wenn es funktioniert) weiß lackieren - das sollte richtig gut aussehen mit der Snow White.

Aaaaber ... die Epox-Boards sind ja eigentlich das nonplus-Ultra für die V56K und nun habe ich eine Frage an die Fachleute:

- Hank / Gary usw. empfehlen ja das 8K3A+ (vor allem auch wegen BIOS-Features, Übertakten und dem Anzeigen der AGP-Spannung beim Booten).

- Es gibt ja noch das 8K5A2+ (mit neuerer SB, hat damit USB 2.0 und LAN) und dann gibt es noch das 8K5A3+ - sind die jetzt einfach nur "neuer" oder haben die auch andere Features? Andere BIOS-Versionen haben die jedenfalls laut diesem Post nicht....

Was wäre Eurer Meinung nach die beste Variante des Epox-Boards für die Snow White?

english

I have a Snow White here and would like to build the "perfect" substructure for the V56K replica.

I shot an ECS Elitegroup V7KTA3 cheaply and will paint it white (if it works) - that should look really good with the Snow White.

But ... the Epox boards are actually the ultimate for the V56K and now I have a question for the experts:

- Hank / Gary etc. recommend the 8K3A+ (mainly because of the BIOS features, overclocking and displaying the AGP voltage when booting).

- There is still the 8K5A2+ (with a newer SB, so it has USB 2.0 and LAN) and there's the 8K5A3+ - are they just "newer" or do they have other features as well? According to this post, other BIOS versions do not have them....

What do you think would be the best variant of the Epox board for the Snow White?

Bis dahin,

Marcus

Suche noch Hardware folgender Hersteller:
    - Quantum3D

- Canopus

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Alliance2000 (16. Februar 2022 um 18:57)

• Bei Tweakstone im Thread Sämtliche 3dfx PCs von VoodooAlert vorgestellt! sind einige Systeme vorgestellt. Darunter finden sich auch genau die oben genannten Boards, 8K3A+, 8K5A2+ und 8K5A3+. feinripp hat sein System >hier< vorgestellt.

Gold Leader empfiehlt vor allem das 8K3A+.

english

At Tweakstone in the thread All 3dfx PCs presented by VoodooAlert! some systems are presented. Among them are the boards mentioned above, 8K3A+, 8K5A2+ and 8K5A3+. feinripp presented his system >here<.

Gold Leader especially recommends the 8K3A+.

Hinweis:

Im Titel ist sich 8K3A+ und nicht 8K3A2+ gemeint, oder?

glidegallery <-- meine Voodoo Gallery [Domain 壊れてる]

• Alliance2000 16. Februar 2022 um 14:01

Hat den Titel des Themas von „8K3A2+ vs. 8K5A2+ vs. 8k5A3+ for V56K / S.U.X. 6000 / Snow White?“ zu „8K3A+ vs. 8K5A2+ vs. 8k5A3+ for V56K / S.U.X. 6000 / Snow White?“ geändert.
  • MadYoshi danke - Titel korrigiert ;)

Ja, die Empfehlung kenne ich, aber warum? Falls das 8K5A2+ das gleiche Board mit identischen BIOS sein sollte, wären LAN und vor allem USB2.0 nicht so schlecht...

english

Yes, I know the recommendation, but why? If the 8K5A2+ should be the same board with identical BIOS, LAN and especially USB2.0 wouldn't be so bad...

- Quantum3D

- Canopus

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Alliance2000 (16. Februar 2022 um 18:55)

• Selbst besitze ich ein 8K5A2+. Es besitzt LAN und USB2.0.

Das jetzt ist natürlich nur eine Vermutung, aber das 8K5A2+ und das 8K5A3+ haben meines Wissens nach die überarbeitete Southbridge VT8235. Die ersten KT333 Boards hatten noch die Southbridge der KT266A Varianten, die VT8233A.

english

I own an 8K5A2+ myself. It has LAN and USB2.0.

This is of course just a guess, but as far as I know the 8K5A2+ and the 8K5A3+ have the revised Southbridge VT8235. The first KT333 boards still had the Southbridge of the KT266A variants, the VT8233A.

Hinweis:

Nicht die einzelnen Board Bezeichnungen durcheinander bringen, siehe (wieder) letzter Post. 8K3A(+), 8K5A2(+) und 8K5A3(+). Das "+" bedeutet eigentlich nur mit/ohne Raid-Controller.

• Zum Thema Southbridge 8K3A+ vs. 8K5A2+:

Hard Tecs 4U (archive.org)

Test zum 8K3A+:

DDR333 für den AMD Athlon XP [5 Platinen mit DDR333 Support im Test] Seite 1 @ Hard Tecs 4U (archive.org)

Test zum 8K5A3+

EPoX EP-8K5A3+ [VIA KT333] Seite 1 @ Hard Tecs 4U (archive.org)

Es gibt zwar auch ein Test zum 8K5A2+, aber die Links funktionieren leider nicht mehr. Vielleicht weiß einer, wie man darauf zugreifen kann.

https://web.archive.org/web/2009021213…lj_epox_8k5a2+/

Die Übersicht geht noch, man kommt aber nicht weiter:

amd - Seite 2 - Artikel & Testberichte bei HardTecs4U (archive.org)

• Hank, VMAN & Gary did so I followed most of their instructions and now pass their knowledge they passed on to me to aid others, thanks to my autism that allows me to remember important things to the tiniest of details.
    I basically learned from the best, and helping you guys with such things I do what I can , if it gets too technical Backfire & osckhar can surely attend :)

• Gold Leader So do you know a real DIFFERENCE between the boards besides the new southbride with USB2.0 and LAN support? Any advise?

- Quantum3D

- Canopus

• Ich versuche, das nicht mehr durcheinander zu bringen - obwohl es im Netz viele "Infos" über ein 8K5A+ gibt... gibt es das wirklich oder haben die alle nur die "2" bzw. "3" vergessen?

english

I'm trying not to confuse that anymore - although there is a lot of "information" about an 8K5A+ on the net... does it really exist or did everyone just forget the "2" or "3"?

- Quantum3D

- Canopus

• For all I know is that the Northbridge of the 8K3A+ is the VIA Apollo KT333 CE revision as where the older 8K5A+2 is the VIA Apollo KT333 CD, both will be 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP 128MB friendly for all six revisions.
    The other board that is in this support list uses the AMD 761 North Bridge and the VIA 686B South Bridge, the EPox EP-8K7A+ the board that Backfire & I are currently using.

Sadly I don't have a 6000 to do more testing, I would of if otherwise.
    And there maybe more boards but since I had what I could get hands on back in the day, all the other info I gathered from the other 84+ Voodoo5 6000 owners when I made the World owner list of these card types.

As Universal Serial Bus 2.0 support goes from all I know both 8K3A+ & 8K5A2/A3+ have support for this data connector
    But you can always use a nice 5 port USB 2.0 PCI card or USB3 if that is more you thing and just go on from there, they are quite cheap really.

Main visual difference is layout but I always found the Layout for EPox boards horrendous for V5 PCI users , but yea if using an AGP card they are rock solid choices.
    Only thing is my experience with the 8K5A2+ wasn't great I had three of these and I noticed several instability issues but that could be because my mainboard may of needed a recap, I had a Rev.A 3700, feinripp has used this board with his Rev.A3 3400 and he seemed to have had a good experience even though his board seemed to have had a decent recap so yea I think stability issues should definitely be relooked in to.

Sorry if I can't provide much info than what I know or have.

• Jetzt habe ich einen Fehler gemacht. Wenn wir gewettet hätten, hätte ich verloren. Auf der alten Seite von EpoX ist das 8K5A wirklich gelistet.

https://web.archive.org/web/2004061004…board/a_all.htm

Hätte ich nie gedacht und habe von diesem Modell auch noch nie gehört.

english

Now I made a mistake. If we had bet, I would have lost. On the old site of EpoX the 8K5A is really listed.e

https://web.archive.org/web/2004061004…board/a_all.htm

I would have never thought of this model and have never heard of it.

• For a more detailed review of the EPoX EP-8K5A+2 do give this one a good read photo's still work too!

https://www.pcstats.com/articles/1211/index.html

They also explain certain differences.

Here the EPoX Ep-8K3A+ I had just to compare the dimensions & layout of these awesome boards, it seems that the 8K3A+ is the older variant of EP's KT333 series of boards, could be it has a KT333CD NB and the later released 8K5A2/A3+ series used the KT333CE NB, it has been along time ago for me some bits are missing from my memory, but being more involved there are pieces returning.

And the 8K7A+ is this one:

Sadly I don't ave a good photo of the 8K5A2+, had to google that one.

• Einfach ne USB 2.0 Controllerkarte reinstecken, wenn das sooo fatal wichtig ist. Hab ich auch gemacht.

"Du bist und bleibst a Mensch und du kannst eben net deine menschlichkeit überwinden."

Dennis_50300