getting a v56k replica pci version to work

• hi, i recieved one of the cool v56k replicas from anthony, now i wanted to fire them up in the system:

Supermicro 8xsas as basement with

win10

win7

winxp 64 bit

downgraded in this range....

Independent from pci or pci-x

in every case the system is only working with the standard vga os driver. installing the voodoo drivers (Merlin, SFFT,...) causes a freeze during startup.

only bootable with a rollback to os standard drivers.

the standard 128mb bios is active.

any idea?

regards, Eike

//same procedure on dell t7500 system using pci or pci-x. Even with no driver installed in first startup.

//the bootscreen is there, when it comes to the colorful windows image it freezes.

//might this be an issue of minimum one chip that is not working?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von eike1598 (20. März 2022 um 09:18)

• WinXP ist working for me (AthlonXP 1800+, ECS K7VZA, VIA KT133A), Voodoo56K WinXP Driver with my Snow White… at least in 3DMark 2000. Quake 2 and Unreal Tournament 99 not yet (Glide/OpenGL problems)…

Suche noch Hardware folgender Hersteller:
    - Quantum3D

- Canopus

• The card might perform at its best under win9x... Can be, i will test this. But the drivers for xp/7/10 that are available should allow a clean system boot... Incompatibilities in games ok... But i had not the chance to see the card properly detected by the system or accessible in voodootools, yet.... Anthony also recommends 32bit. I will also take this into account.

//further tests tomorrow, its beeing late already...

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von eike1598 (20. März 2022 um 23:07)

• WinXp32 bit and AmigaMerlin3.1 R1 works! The first time that i could access the fsaa settings in voodoo tools. Time for benchmarking!

the current system...

WinXP 32bit SP3

Supermicro X8SAX

i7 980X 6Core

3x1Gb DDR3

Strange GOD PCI @AmigaMerlin 3.1 R11 + 3dfxTools.

120GB SSD WD Greeen

I tought that i can go with 64bit, more memory, and use a PCI-Express Card

for other games in parallel to have one gaming machine... Therefore the CPU seems oversized.

3dMark2000 Game1 and Game2 passed...

I ran 1024x768 at 16bit in several Anti Aliasing options:

Single Chip: 3227

Fastest: 9018

2x 5608

4x 3140

8x 1624

3dMark2002 with all options checked passed - issues at 8xFsaa

Single Chip: 3227

Fastest: 9020

2x 5608

4x 3140

8x chrashed after completing Game2 first time in CPU Speed, later on in Fill Rate Check.

Is this the old 8x fsaa bug, or just an incompatibility of the hardware or the bench-software?

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von eike1598 (21. März 2022 um 21:34)

• eike1598  Dolenc Do you have any news about your driver testing? What do you recommend so far for Windows XP 32 bit?

I'm testing my Snow White and still not found a "perfect" Windows XP driver that covers all games / benchmarks - see my post here ...

Suche noch Hardware folgender Hersteller:
    - Quantum3D

- Canopus

• Im writing it this very second!

Will update the post when Im done, I can tell you what to chose, but its better if you read it, cus its not so black-white :)

There we go, now Im on benching vacations CLICK

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Dolenc (1. April 2022 um 21:40)

• Me & 98SE are both garbage, backed with unwanted atrocities & instabilities... just a major no go which is a hard fact.
    WinMe is the worst OS of all time, quite impressed it has a tiny fan base :topmodel:

Win2K Pro + SP4 & WinXP Pro +SP3 ( DO NOT install the 132 updates that come after SP3, this breaks the OS big time!!!) These are the much better options, even though for the 6K Win2K Pro + SP4 is the absolute best and most robust OS choice out there period.

Hank also advised me 2K and he ain't wrong, there is a much lower CPU overhead and the HiNT chip also was cooler when using 2K pro over 98SE, Unofficial SP's only break 98SE even without them or with them 98SE was a major drama fest... It's utter garbage as it always has been.

And if you can't run a game witha NTFS OS, just use compatibility mode works fine, every retro game runs fine with WinXP Pro & Win2K Pro with compatibility mode.

Backfire got most knowledge of the 6K from my as I have helped others with in the past, roughly 16 people, and all 85 owners, want best performance & Stability Win2K Pro + SP4 & RU01 for SP4 and don't look back, want a better comparability mode use XP Pro + SP3 without the 132 updates that follow SP3.

It's the best advice I can pass on, leave out the trash and use a proper OS instead, which is best for your 6K as well.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (2. April 2022 um 20:49)

• interesting meaning about winxp over win98se...

i am just trying win98se... not running at the moment...

Pure experience from my end, everytime I tried 98SE and literally tried it it kept breaking no mater what card I used Voodoo5 5000 PCI , Voodoo5 6000 AGP or some of the production boards Win2K was the most rock solid XP Pro can be made stable with some minor tweaks 98SE was pure drama for me if you can get it stable good luck with it, so it's not a meaning it's just a bad experience of mine with 98SE in general.

• WinME fetzt!

Hab damit nie Probleme gehabt. Mit XP und dessen Nachfolger schon...

"Du bist und bleibst a Mensch und du kannst eben net deine menschlichkeit überwinden."

Dennis_50300

• i am back at winxp 32bit...

Benchmarks works fine but:

i could not manage to play any 3dfx game...

Unreal1 GOG WInXp Edition

Unreal2 GOG WInXp Edition

Quake 3 GOG WInXp Edition

NFS2 SE

NFS3

games are starting in a unsupported monitor resolution, or in software mode only :(

i have an oroginal Q3A CD... lets get this a try

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von eike1598 (9. April 2022 um 23:12)

• q3a is running with custom resolution inside config.cfg

4x AA is working fine 8x AA is too much

But quake3 is not the hardest challenge... Its also working on the aalchemy without problems...

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von eike1598 (10. April 2022 um 21:59)