Beiträge von Gold Leader

if you read my message properly if using Max FSAA settings this will increase VRAM usage by quite a lot, without FSAA things will always run faster, but that was not what I am looking in to.

With the V4 4500 with 128MB VRAM mod done by Komponent, his result was pretty crazy, he managed to be a lot higher with the card that using the standard with 32MB, that is when FSAA was enabled.

My questions remains.

As for AmigaMerlin drivers they use original Glide files I believe, 3dfx cards don't need a wrapper they do glide natively.

Glide 3.xx was just an updated version of Glide 2.xx.

Anyways I await results of high VRAM based V4's & V5's., the higher the reso the more VRAM is used, it also depends what game you run, some games have much larger textures than that of others.

Yea well even V4's with 64MB/128MB would be good enough to use for such a test run, these would need tio use FSAA x2 at 1600x1200x16/32.
    Strange God / Snow White / S.U.X. 6000 cards for AGP/PCI with 256MB would be ideal

Set reso to 1600x1200x16/24/32.

For 32 Bit glide you need to Force 32 Bit color via the OpenGL/Glide tab menu in your 3dfx tools or Kool Smokey's V./Control 1.82b.
    32 Bit Glide works with Descent 3 & UT GOTYE 1999, just these two support 32 bit Glide mode.

Other glide games, Freespace2shoyuld be a fun run the nebula's especially GrandAdmiralThrawn I remember that the nebula's would bring your 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP 128MB rev.A3 3400 to it's knee's, epic memories :topmodel:

Imagine with double the VRAM buffer, that can change things big time.

------------------------------------------------

Ja, auch V4's mit 64MB/128MB wären gut genug für einen solchen Testlauf, diese müssten FSAA x2 bei 1600x1200x16/32 verwenden.

Strange God / Snow White / S.U.X. 6000 Karten für AGP/PCI mit 256MB wären ideal

Reso auf 1600x1200x16/24/32 einstellen.

Für 32 Bit Glide müssen Sie 32 Bit Farbe erzwingen über das OpenGL/Glide Tab Menü in Ihren 3dfx Tools oder Kool Smokey's V./Control 1.82b.

32 Bit Glide funktioniert mit Descent 3 & UT GOTYE 1999, nur diese beiden unterstützen den 32 Bit Glide Modus.

Andere Glide-Spiele, Freespace2shoyuld ein Spaß sein laufen die nebula's vor allem GrandAdmiralThrawn Ich erinnere mich, dass die nebula's würde Ihre 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP 128MB rev.A3 3400 zu bringen, um es die Knie, epische Erinnerungen :topmodel:

Stellen Sie sich vor, Sie hätten den doppelten VRAM-Puffer, das kann die Dinge ganz schön verändern.

Yea I do plan on doing that, it's a nice card to use tho :)

Some time back my friend omega_supreme & I were trying to find a driver that would allow us to use the max FSAA setting at x1600x1200 over 1280x1024, and it seems that omega_supreme found the exact correct driver which is AmigaMerlin 3.1 R1, you can find his test results here which he completed with his 3dfx Voodoo 5 6000 AGP 128MB Rev.A 3700 I believe which he had at the time, which only has 128MB of course, but seeing now some people own Anthony's Strange God cards with 256MB or Even that 512MB card Anthony has himself, I am wondering how this will impact the extra VRAM these cards have in advance.

Here the research omega did many years back on march 15, 2004, a good 19 years ago already!
    https://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/index.php?topic=963.0

---------------------------------------

Vor einiger Zeit haben mein Freund omega_supreme und ich versucht, einen Treiber zu finden, der es uns erlauben würde, die maximale FSAA-Einstellung bei x1600x1200 über 1280x1024 zu verwenden, und es scheint, dass omega_supreme den genau richtigen Treiber gefunden hat, nämlich AmigaMerlin 3.1 R1, Sie können seine Testergebnisse hier finden, die er mit seiner 3dfx Voodoo 5 6000 AGP 128MB Rev. A 3700 durchgeführt hat, die er zu der Zeit hatte, die natürlich nur 128MB hat, aber da jetzt einige Leute Anthonys Strange God Karten mit 256MB oder sogar die 512MB Karte, die Anthony selbst hat, besitzen, frage ich mich, wie sich das auf den zusätzlichen VRAM auswirken wird, den diese Karten im Voraus haben.

Hier die Untersuchung, die Omega vor vielen Jahren am 15. März 2004 durchgeführt hat, also schon vor 19 Jahren!

https://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/index.php?topic=963.

Hey all

For those that use CD-ex 1.51 or any other program , here is how to setup the updated Remote feeb.

CDex setup: Make sure that you use a valid email.

The path should be: /~cddb/cddb.cgi

For other CD to MP3 convertors go here for more info

https://gnudb.org/howto.php

This has solved a lot of issues for me, now you can convert all my CD's to 320kbps MP3 or any other format you desire without losing the quality of your CD's from over use.

Hereby I hope this helps some of you here, also shared this at x-3dfx & 3dfxzone.

Rock on & stay safe.

----------------------------------
    Hallo zusammen

Für diejenigen, die CD-ex 1.51 oder ein anderes Programm verwenden, hier ist, wie man das aktualisierte Remote feeb einrichtet.

CDex-Einrichtung: Stellen Sie sicher, dass Sie eine gültige E-Mail verwenden.

Der Pfad sollte lauten: /~cddb/cddb.cgi
    (siehe oben gepostetes Bild)

Für andere CD-zu-MP3-Konverter finden Sie hier weitere Informationen

gnudb.org an alternativ place for the free CD database to make sure it stays free.

Dies hat eine Menge Probleme für mich gelöst, jetzt können Sie alle meine CDs in 320kbps MP3 oder jedes andere gewünschte Format konvertieren, ohne die Qualität Ihrer CDs durch übermäßigen Gebrauch zu verlieren.

Hiermit hoffe ich, dass dies einigen von euch hilft, ich habe dies auch bei x-3dfx & 3dfxzone geteilt.

Rock on & bleiben Sie sicher :)

Currently I am playing Hexen II ver 1.11 with the V5 PCI Mac, I took use of Photo Snap 6, which allows me to take screenshots in 3dfx glide based games:

Yeaps just love the architecture this game gives, pretty amazing for it's time, plus when you freeze enemies, they get frozen in the stance there were in at last before dying, and not just a single sprite for the frozen models like with the first Hexen game named Hexen Beyond: Heretic.

The game was run at 1024x768x16 in Glide API mode and Edge AA enabled, but no FSAA. runs fine this way.

The V5 PCI Mac keeps on going even after reaching it's 23rd year.

Also has anyone ever ran Hexen II with a V4 or a V5 under WinXP yet?
    And I know it runs in 98SE, what I am trying to do is trying to run as many games as I can in WinXP Pro, it's also part of this project.
    So there is more support on that sector as well.

The game does run for me but changing to a higher resolution like 1024x768x16 doesn't work for me, everything I could think of didn't work, is there a console command or is there a an other command to activate a certain function via the console?

Other than this for me it just sits at 640x480x16, so any idea's in that regard?

Many thanks :)

Theoretically there's no limit to the age of semiconductor chips. If they're threated and stored right and used in their specifications, they will last very long. There is only the radiation (cosmic, radioctivity or so). If they are getting to hot (silicon based semiconductors will be destroyed at around 125 °C and more, the "magic smoke" ) or supplied with too much voltage, the will fail. Hm.. There is also the Thyristor effect that may cause an inner short circuit. This effect cannot be avoided.

Oh okay,well thanks for letting me know then, if anything weird happens, Ill send my card to Backfire 8)

As for yesterday's 23rd Anniversary I been gaming, testing and also running OpenGVS and other things, many more to come though.

3dfx Voodoo 5 5500 PCI Macintosh 64MB Rev. A1 2900 + PC Bios 1.18_DVI

Quantum 3D OpenGVS Monterey @ 1024x768x16 in 3dfx Glide API + RGSS FSAA x4

Descent 2 + D2X-Rebirth 0.58.1 + D2X Retro 1.3a @ 1024x768x32 max in game settings, no FSAA, only Edge AA Enabled

More pics to come, of course :)

Today this card has turned 23 years of age, so I decided to do some testing with it, like Quantum3D OpenGVS tech demo's in loop mode at 1024x768x16 with 3dfx Glide API, UT GOTYE 1999 v 4.36 + Operation Na Pali 1.3.0, , Q3A 1.32, Unreal + Return to Na Pali V 2.27 Final, Star Wars Dark Forces II Jedi Knight + Mysteries of the Sith, Command & Conquer Red Alert 2+ Yuri's Revenge with Purple Alert Mod 4.10.28, Descent 1 &2 with DXX Rebirth 0.58.1 + DXX Retro 1.3 for D1 /1.3a for D2, Descent 3 1.5 Beta + Mercenary and maybe some others.

I will post some pics later on in a nice gallery of course in this thread, despite it being over one year old.

Backfire & osckhar how old can the VSA-100-220's even get?
    Should I be concerned or just buy a few if available as just in case they do need replacing?
    Is there even enough stock to replace them even being?

Unless I am just overthinking things now, my card runs fantastic, just thought of the VSA's but yea, that's my mind.
    What would it cost me to buy 4 VSA-100-220's? If that is even advisable?
    Even how well do those spare chips even age?

Yea many questions in my mind, sorry for that.

Gold Leader Thanks a lot for the info. It looks like a really neat solution.

hey no worries man if ya need help finding them lemmie know I'll find a few right away, even though they should not be hard to find as I can recall :)
    The advantage is that you can keep your V3 with it's original heatsink and the slot cooler card does all th e work for you as cooling goes, this way the 3dfx card stays unharmed and unchanged, this is why I prefer the slot cooler method over a different cooler on the card it's self.

To avoid the V3 3500 from overheating I use the Vantec Spectrum slot cooler, which is this handy device:

You can find these on ebay for not too much, this slot cooler brought the temp pf my V3 3500 from 83c to 67c, it does not over heat anymore which is ideal.
    Here the rear of the system it has a low to high fan control lever:

I have mine always set in the middle then the fans run at 1500 rpm more or less, its silent but gets the job done.

Hello there nobody_810:)

As Pentium 3 1Ghz goes Voodoo3 3000, 3500 as well as Voodoo4 4500 are your best choices for optimal performance, other option is a Matrox G400 MAX or an ATi Rage 128 Pro with 2x 12MB V2's in SLI.

the ATi Rage has iDCT and superb image quality as advantage, for proper high grade video playback, the G400 MAX has EMBM, superb 2D & 3D image quality & Dual Head function.

Well a Voodoo3 3000 AGP or 3500 TV AGP is what I'd go for to be very honest, these have a 350Mhz RAMDAC and the best image quality output when it comes to 2D & 3D, a Voodoo3 2000 AGP has a 300Mhz RAMDAC still a decent choice you could get lukcy and getting these to run at 180 a 191 Mhz core/mem but only with 6ns SDRAM this is reachable, with 5n5 a 5ns greater speeds can be gained, it also depends on the quality of the V3 chip.

Make sure you active cool these cards or use a Vantec Spectrum slot cooler card that blows cool air directly on the heatsink of our V3.
    This helps a lot, also make sure you have one empty PCI slot between the slot cooler and the V3, as I have done here for my V3 3500:

The core temp went down from 83c to 67c, all worth it tbh and better for your V3's life span, I use an AMD K7 Athlon Thunderbird 700Mhz, it's ideal for the games I use it for, the V3 3500 does everything just fine really, but if you get lucky and find a decent 2000 or 3000 AGP that clocks to like 183 a 191 Mhz you're pretty much well set as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hallo nobody_810 :)

Als Pentium 3 1Ghz geht Voodoo3 3000, 3500 sowie Voodoo4 4500 sind Ihre beste Wahl für optimale Leistung, andere Option ist eine Matrox G400 MAX oder eine ATi Rage 128 Pro mit 2x 12MB V2's in SLI.

Die ATi Rage hat iDCT und hervorragende Bildqualität als Vorteil, die G400 MAX hat EMBM, hervorragende 2D & 3D Bildqualität und Dual Head Funktion.

Nun, ein Voodoo3 3000 AGP oder 3500 TV AGP ist das, wofür ich mich entscheiden würde, um ganz ehrlich zu sein, diese haben einen 350Mhz RAMDAC und die beste Bildqualität, wenn es um 2D und 3D geht, ein Voodoo3 2000 AGP hat einen 300Mhz RAMDAC, der immer noch eine gute Wahl ist. Man könnte diese mit 180 oder 191 Mhz Kern/Mem betreiben, aber nur mit 6ns SDRAM ist dies erreichbar, mit 5n5 können 5ns höhere Geschwindigkeiten erreicht werden, es hängt auch von der Qualität des V3 Chips ab.

Stellen Sie sicher, dass Sie diese Karten aktiv kühlen oder verwenden Sie eine Vantec Spectrum Slot-Kühlerkarte, die kühle Luft direkt auf den Kühlkörper unserer V3 bläst.

Dies ist sehr hilfreich. Stellen Sie auch sicher, dass Sie einen leeren PCI-Slot zwischen dem Slot-Kühler und der V3 haben, wie ich es hier für meine V3 3500 getan habe:

Für Fotos scrollen Sie nach oben

Die Kerntemperatur ist von 83c auf 67c gesunken, das ist es alles wert und besser für die Lebensdauer des V3. Ich benutze einen AMD K7 Athlon Thunderbird 700Mhz, er ist ideal für die Spiele, für die ich ihn benutze, der V3 3500 macht wirklich alles gut, aber wenn man Glück hat und einen anständigen 2000 oder 3000 AGP findet, der mit 183 a 191 Mhz taktet, ist man auch ziemlich gut aufgestellt.

oh it's fine, people just need to get that these cards aren't really new anymore they were all produced from week 19 to week 31 from year 2000, roughly 23 years of age, most new gen cards are lucky to surpass their 7th year of use.

retro hardware had decent build quality, not something I see nowadays, my VSA-100-220's on my V5 PCI Mac are the only two parts that were never renewed, not sure how long graphics chip can last though, but this too may be worth mentioning that nothing really lasts forever.

----------------------------------

Oh, das ist in Ordnung, die Leute müssen nur verstehen, dass diese Karten nicht mehr wirklich neu sind, sie wurden alle von Woche 19 bis Woche 31 des Jahres 2000 produziert, also ungefähr 23 Jahre alt, die meisten Karten der neuen Generation haben Glück, wenn sie ihr 7.

Die Retro-Hardware hatte eine anständige Verarbeitungsqualität, etwas, das ich heutzutage nicht mehr sehe, meine VSA-100-220 auf meinem V5 PCI Mac sind die einzigen beiden Teile, die nie erneuert wurden, ich bin mir nicht sicher, wie lange ein Grafikchip halten kann, aber auch das ist vielleicht erwähnenswert, dass nichts wirklich ewig hält.

The only real Mega Monster 3D II X200 is the set I bought from gdonovan way back in 2007, the slave card has no VGA outputs and they both have Tenmax V2 Stealth Coolers on them, about 30 to 50 sets were made, maybe even less.

If people are finding these I wish them all good luck, it's a near impossible thing to do.

Oh yea the X100 was the single 12mB card btw, the one that was sold out mostly, some of these did not even have X100 on the box, for all I know this was left out for mass market resale.

Personally as the EU market goes I never seen X100 or X200 on any of the Monster D3D II boxes for 8MB & 12MB liveries.
    Could be that these were only for the US retail market maybe.

The Only True Mega Monster 3D II is the card set I posted the slave card has no VGA's on them, I would think the X200 would be the correct set for this release type, but not something I can confirm because I bought the cards off gdonovan as a loose yet complete set.
    Maybe he knows more of these, as their boxes go?

--------------------------------
    Das einzige echte Mega Monster 3D II X200 ist das Set, das ich 2007 von gdonovan gekauft habe. Die Slave-Karte hat keine VGA-Ausgänge und beide haben Tenmax V2 Stealth-Kühler, es wurden etwa 30 bis 50 Sets hergestellt, vielleicht sogar weniger.

(siehe Bilder oben)

Wenn Leute diese finden, wünsche ich ihnen allen viel Glück, es ist eine fast unmögliche Sache zu tun.

Oh ja, die X100 war die einzige 12mB Karte, die am meisten ausverkauft war, einige von ihnen hatten nicht einmal X100 auf der Verpackung, soweit ich weiß, wurde dies für den Massenmarkt Wiederverkauf weggelassen.

Was den EU-Markt angeht, so habe ich persönlich nie X100 oder X200 auf einer der Monster D3D II-Boxen für 8MB- und 12MB-Farben gesehen.

Es könnte sein, dass diese nur für den US-Einzelhandelsmarkt bestimmt waren.

Das einzig wahre Mega Monster 3D II ist der Kartensatz, den ich gepostet habe, die Slave-Karte hat keine VGAs auf ihnen, ich würde denken, dass die X200 der richtige Satz für diesen Freigabetyp ist, aber das kann ich nicht bestätigen, weil ich die Karten von gdonovan als einen losen, aber kompletten Satz gekauft habe.

Vielleicht weiß er mehr über diese, wie ihre Boxen gehen?