Dear Tweakstone, I volunteer, with great sacrifice, to keep your original prototype of the 3dfx voodoo5 6000 Agp, so I give you the chance to buy a beautiful Snow White. It will be hard for me, but I hope to succeed in this great sacrifice ...
Updated Thread title and first post with new photos of the video card and the New box created for Snow White.
Thanks, and great insights! This could be true, in all cases I used either the PCI or the PCI-e riser cable, since the enclosures would not have space for the VGA output. I even thought about relocating the VGA output and probably would do so if I wanted a permanent solution.
But then again it worked with the Razer Case where I also used a riser cable...
Do you remember your: "It just works ™"
Hardware is unpredictable, sometimes hardware that works perfectly on one MB doesn't work on another. Just take out the small card with the pci-e slot and try it out of the egpu case. So you also eliminate this doubt.
I have had experiences with unexplained pci, agp and pci-e flat extensions. The length of the extension for example:
Pci-e 20cm extension cable, replaced three times thinking about a defect in the extension cable, did not work on a given motherboard. While the same extension worked perfectly on other motherboards. It was enough for me to buy the same extension but 15 centimeters to use it on any motherboard. Same thing with the agp and pci extensions. All inexplicable, but it is so unfortunately ...
If the voodoo2 with direct riser in the pci-e slot works, then you will proceed, if you wish, to the modification of the egpu case.
Übersetzung des Artikels auf meiner Webseite: 3dfx Voodoo 2 with any* Windows 11 system - robertkrau.se
Leider funktioniert das Ganze nicht, es erscheint der Fehler “glide2x.dll expected voodoo graphics, none detected” beim Starten des Spiels, egal was ich probiert habe. Ich bin ein bisschen traurig und nehme an, dass es daran liegt, dass das eGPU Gehäuse einenanderen Controller Chip hat (JHL7440 vs DSL6540 of the Razer Core X).
thank you for sharing your experiment, perfectly successful, I congratulate you!
Your enthusiasm when starting Unreal Tournament Intro reminded me of my amazement when I managed to start a voodoo5 5500 agp, first on an Abit AN7, then on an Asrock 4coredual-sata2 motherboard: my reaction was the same as yours , super enthusiastic and amazed, but immensely happy. You did well to document this event ...
The credit for the failure to detect the v2, in my experience, this type of error is due to a loss of signal due to the Flat extension of the Riser pci-to pci.
Have you already tried to insert the voodoo2 ner riser pci-to-pci-e directly, directly into the pci-e slot, without any extension cable / flat cable?
I hope that the meaning of what I have written is clear. If I wrote in German, I would surely have obtained a worse result than this, and incomprehensible ...
Hi villeneuve , the website is under construction, there is no time to complete it. As soon as the sale is announced I will also announce it here and I hope that the website has also been completed.
Otherwise we will find another alternative solution
Ok CryptonNite , message received, thanks for the explanation.
For questions about the color, the agp4x version, the 256mb on board, I could answer you but not in detail.
I would prefer developer Anthony to give you the right directions and answers. Maybe we can also find solutions by talking about it here, where it all started, at least in part.
Updated first post
Updated first post, added first image of the new version.
Work draft under construction
i open this Thread which will be dedicated to Anthony's future creation.
Published, on the developer page, the first images of the next version of the new video card that is being designed in the AGP 2x version.
For comparison, I added the image of the new agp1x video card to the pci 33/66mhz version.
I amicably called "SnowWhite6K", but the video card doesn't have a real name.
it is 2mm longer than the original v56k version.
The contrast of the white with the black components is really impactful. It would be nice to have black smd capacitors too, who knows if they are on the market.
The VGA pass-through is gone and I understand why, this is the primary video card.
Who knows why with this contrast of colors the installed components seem very few...
The video card really got the name Snow White and the new box was made:
The graphics are inspired by the short film made by the designers of Betty Boop, in 1933, dedicated to Snow White:
And was made by Batyra, Hardware/3dfx Collector and excellent Designer:
I start from this Iterview with the Developer and Enthusiast of the 3dfx World, released on March 4, 2021:
Special Unified Xcelerator 6000 Original Drawings Prototype
Hi Anthony and welcome to the community.
It has been a while since our last meeting.
It was May 8, 2020 and you were struggling with the construction of the 2D video module for Quantum3D x24.
The interview from that time can be read in the Thread dedicated to the: King Shaman 20MB & MGV2020 4MB 2D Video Module Review
What work do you currently do and what impact has this period of restrictions had on your professional, private life and on your creations?
- Currently I'm doing work which i don't like much. I'm assembling some cards. That strange period doesn't impact my activities much. Most annoying part is unpredictable shipping time in some cases and raising prices. Really, not much to complain about.
In the previous interview, I asked you about your future projects and you answered with a metaphor, which corresponded to a "No Comment". Did you know that, with your latest creation, you were facing a great success or a great failure?
- I expected minor success, maybe partly working board. But reality exceeded my expectations, everything went fine from the first attempt. Only minor errors in strapping configurations I've encountered. I got lucky with my big cards (King Shamans and this one), every project causes no troubles for me. Bigger is better.
With your latest creation, which you dubbed Napalm 6000 S.U.X. , thanks to the 3dfx voodoo5 6000 Agp 128MB offered for your research by our friend, you have performed a non-destructive Reverse Engineering, even if the video card was hopelessly not working.
Maybe because you had one of the latest Original Prototypes created by 3dfx in your hands?
- Name for that project will be Special Unified Xcelerator 6000, at least for the first production batch. There will be a special box with a custom art. Actually, i had a chance to get my hands on a fully functional V56K card, what helped a lot. I did some measurements with an oscilloscope, which were impossible on a non-working card. V56K has some tricky solutions, it was pretty hard for me to figure out some of these.
With this unofficial Remake prototype of the 3dfx voodoo5 6000 Agp 128MB, which I would define as “your personal interpretation” of how this video card should be for you, you have completely changed, once again, the layout of the original pcb and components.
Can you describe the difficulties you have encountered, the improvements you have made and obtained with this release of yours?
- Layout of that card is close to the original V56K, except the power supply unit and a VGA switcher. No way to make something different, even if i had such intentions. Components are the same too, except these parts, once again. No significant difficulties i have encountered while PCB routing, all went quite smooth and in a pleasant way, no thrilling stories to tell. I think it's because i did other VSA based projects before and got some background and experience. Evident improvement is the existence of mounting holes for coolers, maybe a power unit too. Also this card has less banding effect rather than original V56K, you know infamous SLI banding which is very well visible in helicopter test in 3DMark2000.
Was the Pci Rework, performed by Hank Semenec, ex 3dfx Engineer, to make the original 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 Agp 128MB prototypes working, also necessary on your latest creation and implemented in the Napalm 6K scheme?
- I’ve made PCI clocks routing in a proper way, i believe it’ll work fine. Anyway, some tests are still in progress and we’ll see upcoming results.
In this last period, you will be inundated with compliments for your new creation.
But, at the same time, you also received a lot of criticism. In your opinion, why is part of the community and 3dfx fans against these creations of yours?
- I didn’t see a lot of criticism. To make a criticism you should familiarize yourself with a subject, make some tests or something like that, at least to read or to watch such results from other people. Otherwise it should be called a "mere words".
Now that you have almost reached the top of the pyramid, do you believe that your attention will shift elsewhere or are you going to see "how it works", just for personal knowledge or to learn useful new information, the Rampage series and the Daytona series, the latter two. chimeras ever made by 3dfx?
- I still have a couple of projects in development. Not so exciting as a 4 chip board thou. Daytona sounds interesting, no chips available unfortunately. Rampage is a useless thing, there’s even no proper drivers, as far as i know.
In your opinion, communities like Voodooalert.de and 3dfxzone.it, which for more than 20 years "support" at its own expense, as you did with your projects, this technology created over 20 years ago by the late 3dfx, what impact they have had on your training and in expanding your knowledge?
- I like activities on such forums which took place about 10-15 years ago. A lot of interesting things, benchmarking, mods, new drivers, etc. I began with modding in 2014, i believe. But these days interest is fading. Maybe my projects will help a little bit to warm up some interest to 3dfx creations. Personally, I'd like to see some software development.
Anthony, I don't ask you one last question, but I leave you this last part for your spontaneous statements.
- Will continue to develop my latest project. Have plans to make an AGP version too. Have plans to make some fancy package. Still a lot of work to offer a good product and things are moving slower than i expected. Hope, eventually, all puzzles will be solved and people will be pleased.
- Big thanks to all non-indifferent and enthusiastic people.
Anthony, we Congratulate you for your achievement and for the results achieved with your creations.
Now, with your creations, you are an integral part of the "3dfx Post Mortem Story".
I hope this is not the last time we find ourselves talking about this wonderful technology, because we would like to discuss it for a long time to come.
We thank Anthony (zx-c64) for being with us and for granting us this new interview.
Thanks to the Voodooalert Community and all its Collaborators for letting me publish this new Thread.
Francesco D.V. (ciacara)
Meine Karte ist Heute angekommen. Mehr Bilder im 3DFX Bilder Thread.
Die Kupferkühler bringen doch schon ordenlich Gewicht, hätte ich nicht gedacht. Die Karte muss auf jeden Fall abgestützt werden..
Laut Anthony soll sie 195Mhz machen, sind ja VSA Rev 320 drauf. Dafür danke nochmal Löschzwerg
Leider schaffe es wohl erst nächstes Wochenende die Karte ausführlich zu testen, muss morgen arbeiten
Hi Maniac81 ,
I'm really, really happy for you! Congratulations!
We look forward to some tests and / or Benchmarks.
A "Monster with VSA-100 320" ...
If I remember correctly, Anthony , having assembled it, was really excited and regretted that he couldn't build many with this VSA 320 chip.
Of course GrandAdmiralThrawn , I understand the initial shock, but it's all clear now ...
For everything else, Anthony has taken all necessary precautions to carry out his plans. He was also contacted by some Partners for the realization of some personalized "things". But if he wants to talk about it, and if things go well, he will do it directly at the right time.