Sveta-2002 the rebuild of my beloved 3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP PC :)

• Hello all :)

Here a new rebuild and cleanup I did the entire day to 3AM in the morning xD :topmodel:
    It's that AthlonXP 2700+ I used to use during my 3dfx days and it's also this system I ran the Legendary Voodoo5 5000 AGP's PCI and 6000 AGP in as well.
    The 6000 AGP was used in an other mainboard though, the EPoX EP-8K3A+ that was, I still seek one of these, so if anyone can help me, please send me a PM :)

This system was used by my uncle Herman, since he ahd a stroke not so long ago, he could not use the computer anymore and he wanted me to have it back :love:
    So I took this wonderful opportunity and thereby planned to make it reborn as my die hard 3dfx Voodoo5 gaming PC :)

But now this system is back in it's full self again, fully restored and renovated all the parts are like new as well, the operating system of choice is the obvious one I always loved using:
    Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional UK + Service Pack 4, this OS is super stable with this setup as with the 8K3A+ as well, it does what I need it to do, and that makes it complete 8)

So here the pics I Made as I went along with this fun project :)

Sveta-2002 before Treatment it looked utterly gross and needed an urgent vital cleanup, ewww :cursing:

It also only had 1x 1GB Kingston Hyper X PC-3200 good I Kept my 1x 1GB Corsair XMS Platinum PC-3200 module, so now is has 2x 1GB :)

That awkward fan mounting I did years ago, my gawd I removed that crap :topmodel: cries

Le Heatsink iz Le Gross :topmodel:

Here that chanceless CPU fan, Man oh man! I removed this senseless blue fan thing :bonk:

Here the cleaned heatsink :) Nais and shineeezz xD Dat V5 Doh 8o

My AMD AthlonXP 2700+ Thoroughbred-B @ 2167Mhz and an L2 of 256KB, this used to be my dad's CPU as he bought it with his desktop during a PC Prive Project via Recontec B, hos old job.

For the ones that don't have a manual and want to remember our the IO Panel is connected, Just make a picture of your current settings , this helped me remember :topmodel:

Here I started work on the SB Audigy 2 Live Drive:

Never mind the bent stuff if it works why fix it xD It'\s been like that since 2002, so norries there, I just cleaned it :)

Here the SB Audigy 2 Platinum + Live Drive after Treatment :)

Like new again 8) The Audigy 2 is a good card still even today, it's not as good as the X-Fi but still does a decent job for music and games :)

Here a card I bought from Maktek from Voodooalert.de, I still have his old card, here it is after I cleaned him up :)

Headshot of this beauty :love:

As you can see it's a Rev.A 2500 Final Revision, Week 25, Year 2000, this card is almost 16 years old rofl :D:respekt:

And still it looks good, no wear nothing, cleaning hardware makes it live the longest ;)

And here the network card I use a Realtek, it has a massive E-prom Socket as well, dunno what that is for tho.

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (9. Juni 2018 um 13:08)

• That were all the parts separately here all the parts cleaned for the 3dfx PC, there was also a Leadtek A400 AGP 128MB 256Bit DDR Rev.A 0428 (Final Revision, Year 2004, Week 28.) as well which I also cleaned, so here the pics of that before I Continue with the rest of the build.
    I cleaned this GeForce 6800 AGP 128MB DDR for my VGA card collection, it just looks cool and it too needed a good cleanup :)

Here the Leadtek A400 before treatment, I seen worse but I did it so it looks nicer in my collection of clean VGA cards :)

Here I cleaned the plastic shroud parts of the HSF with Hot water and Dreft:

And here a cleaned A400 AGP , like new again :)

Here a nice angled shot I took of this nice card :)

Here a closeup of it's NV40 GPU :) This GPU has 12 Pixel Shaders and 5 Vertex Shaders, it's not like the GT, Ultra or Ultra Extreme that have 16 Pixel Shaders and 6 Vertex Shaders, this one has a laser cut die

Here the A400 ready for reassembly

And a clean other side as well :)

When mounting the heatsink to the GPU make sure those four holes align with the long sticking out screws on the PCB:

These spring screws hold the entire thing together :)

And here the cleaned result :)

This Leadtek A400 AGP 120MB DDR looks like new again! :D

Cleaned rear side. all that copper :love:

And nice Leadtek logo shot :)

Here a nice headshot I made of this beautiful GeForce 6800 AGP 128MB :)

And back to that AthlonXP 2700+ system :)

Here all the main parts in a cleaned up state, CPU, System Ram, Mobo, VGA, Sound & Network Card:

Here at an angled show, all these parts look kind of like new to some point :D

Here I did a test fit setup, of what it might be like:

Doing this gives me a first impression of how it will look like, before reassembly of the entire system :)

I just used an old Dell laptop box, just make sure you have a cardboard underground thereby avoiding damage to the underside of the mainboard.

Here a final shot, it is kind of art to some sense as well :):love:

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (9. Juni 2018 um 13:18)

• After all the parts I Started to work further on the Case, the NEC Floppy Drive & NEC DVD Rewriter the Seagate Baracuda V 120GB 7200.7 rpm ATA-133 HDD and the HIPRO 300 Watt PSU.

Here the cleaned case :)

Here an other angle of this UBER cleaned case :)

Here the IO Drives cleaned up ready for system reassembly :)

The AMD AthlonXP 2700+ is applied with Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Compound, I use this stuff for almost everything, never had an issue with it yet :topmodel: Yeee xD

And here it is the entire system completed renovated like new again, Okay I did forget some dust on that CPU fan lel, whaps! xD :topmodel:

Might be weathering lel, but yeah for the rest this system is lovely :love:

Here an undershot I took when I crouched on the floor :) Made this cool shot :)

I remained crouched to make this closeup of the V5 :)

And there ya have it, all neatly built in and clean looking :D Now it can last a few more years I am hoping :)

And here the final shot I made before I went to install Win2K Pro + SP4 :)

Anyways I hope you all enjoyed my little 3dfx comeback here , this was very good exercise as well 8)

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (9. Juni 2018 um 13:22)

• How did you clean the cards & mainboard? Compressed air and brush or a different method? Looks amazing :)

AMD Athlon XP 2400+ - Epox EP-8KHA+ - 1,5GB RAM - Voodoo 5 5500 AGP - Aureal Vortex2

• Hey thanks Yoshi :)

As to how I cleaned it? Magic PowersxD :topmodel: nah just kidding I used a very classic method that my dad's old work aka Recontec used Dreft Dish Washing Soap & very warm Water on a damp soft paint brush and I dried t with compressed air, the paintbrush was damp not soaked :)
    they I used compressed are to blow them dry and also damp then with dry industrial Towels :)

But the result is worth while, this took me a good 16 hours non-stop yaass... I did this non stop, sleep? huh wots dat doh xD:bonk::topmodel:

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (10. März 2016 um 07:46)

• Nah not that I put the brush in there, and then get rid of the over saturated water, so it's dampened and this is how I get rid of dust dirt and such
    I been doing this since I collected VGA cards, you can always clean hardware with soap and water just make sure it's not over used, then all is fine make sure it's dry before using and all is fine.

At Recontec they have these vacuum ovens, temp is 50C you can wash and saturate all types of hardware wash it with a brush and soapy water and then place it in these vacuum ovens for 3 top5 hours
    and then you have literally reconditioned the hardware and brought it back to new state.

my method is differnet but the hot water and Dreft soap method does work :) I wish I could explain it easier , I suck at explaining :X

Recontec BV is now Belfor btw
    https://www.belfor.com/de/de/brandsch…rung/elektronik

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (10. März 2016 um 08:02)

• For you information / explanation about the socket on the NIC.

It's an socket for an EEPROM as you perhaps already know.

Some computer system are able to boot over network, so called network boot.
    It's like theres nothing on your hard drive, maybe only user data but not a system image.

With this Boot-Rom on the NIC, the PC connects to a server, where an image file of the system data is located.
    The Nic now takes this image and loads it.

Very usable for a large number of computer systems, like in an office.
    It's now easy to install updates, just change the system image on the central storage and all the clients take at a restart the new image, load it and there ya go.

That's about this socket.

I fairly remember this feature is also called PXE Boot.

IBM ThinkpadX31 der kleine Pinguin für unterwegs
    2x AMD Opteron 246 (ehm. 244er) 4 GB RAM, Tyan K8W Tiger eine "Troye" Linux Workstation für den Power-User,Debian, 7 3.2.0-4 amd64
    Thinkpad 760ED, Win 3.11 für Unterwegs.
    achja: GA-7IXE4 Sockel A Board, Voodoo 5 5500. Die LAN Schlampe, eines Tages bekommt sie anständiges Zuhause.
    Gigabyte-G5AA, Matrox G450DualHead, AMD K6-2, Terratec EWS64XL (64MB RAM) - Keyboard MIDI Workstation

Nur ein Klassiker ist'n Klassiker. 3dfx und BMW

• Ahhh oke :) Many thanks for that detailed explanation there bud :respekt:

It's running very well I ran Hank Semenec's Fire6.exe and it does 44fps @ 1024 x768 x32 no AA :)
    The games I have ready are Descent 1 &2 with DXX-Rebirth 0.58.1 + D1X & D2X Retro mode from Lotharbot & Drakona's DCL Project , DCL = Descent CHampions Ladder :)

DXX-Rebirth:
    http://www.dxx-rebirth.com

Descent Champions Ladder D1X & D2X Retro Mod:
    http://descentchampions.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58

With thee two programs you cn enjoy Descent 1 &2 like ever before :)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (10. März 2016 um 14:39)

• The 6000 AGP was used in an other mainboard though, the EPoX EP-8K3A+ that was, I still seek one of these, so if anyone can help me, please send me a PM

I've got one here if you want.

3dfx SYSTEME (Silent/low Noise) Windows 98 SE:

QDI Legend V2200 AGP +Diamond Monster 3D +Videologic Apocalypse 3Dx | ASUS P2B-B | PII 450 | 128MB | 32GB CF
    Matrox G400 MAX +Matrox m3D +Orchid Righteous 3D² SLI | ASUS P3B-F | PIII 1100 | 256MB | 8GB CF
    Voodoo 5 5500 AGP | ASUS TUSL2-M | PIII-S 1400 | 256MB | 120GB SSD
    Voodoo 5 5500 AGP | EPoX EP-8K5A3+ | AthlonXP 3000+ | 512MB | 16GB CF |

• Pretty sweet system and a nice home for a V5 5k5!
    Keep us posted!
    Now once you've got the 8K3A+, keep your eyes open for a XP 3200+ FSB 333 (2333 MHz).
    Pretty rare, however maybe one day... ;)

Voodoo-Kiste (seit 3dfx BayernLAN 2007):
    TUSL2-C, P3-S 1400, 512MB SDR, Voodoo 5 5500 AGP, 9,1GB IBM SCSI (OS), 40GB HDD (Games), Adaptec 2940-U2W SCSI
    Dualatin: GA-6VTXD, 2x P3-S 1400, 1GB SDR, 2x 60GB, Hercules Radeon 8500 128MB

Work (CG): MSI TRX40 Creator, AMD TR 3970X, 128GB RAM, Titan RTX 24GB, Win10Pro

Zock & Office: MSI X58 Pro-E, Xeon X5680 4,2GHz, 24GB RAM, RX590 8GB, KDE Neon

• Pretty sweet system and a nice home for a V5 5k5!
    Keep us posted!
    Now once you've got the 8K3A+, keep your eyes open for a XP 3200+ FSB 333 (2333 MHz).
    Pretty rare, however maybe one day... ;)

Heeey eLuSiVe thanks for your reply bud :)

And yeah tell me about it, but then again finding a good 8K3A+ is alot harder I think.
    I been on ebay found 3200+ 400FSB models I dunno if these matter much in speed with the 3200+ FSB 333, unless these won't work in KT333 then that would seem logical.

But I will make some game action video's and post them in here, the Audigy2 is a nice sound card atm I am enjoying my Sting Albums :)
    So many memories are just exploding in my mind, I regret it so badly that I sold off everything, not much can change that, it's best to regain on what is possible first.

I miss being here with all of you and discussing our 3dfx collections 3dfx meetups and other things we all did, I will try to be here more.
    Sorry I disappeared but then again it's never to late to return :)

• The FSB 333 version of the 3200+ was exclusively built for OEM's such as HP.
    I think in terms of just system performance the FSB 400 one should be faster.
    Anyway the 3200+ FSB 333 is the fastest you can get for a Athlon XP based Voodoo system ;)

Aristo here has one that goes with his V5 6000. Super cool rig :thumbup:

Voodoo-Kiste (seit 3dfx BayernLAN 2007):
    TUSL2-C, P3-S 1400, 512MB SDR, Voodoo 5 5500 AGP, 9,1GB IBM SCSI (OS), 40GB HDD (Games), Adaptec 2940-U2W SCSI
    Dualatin: GA-6VTXD, 2x P3-S 1400, 1GB SDR, 2x 60GB, Hercules Radeon 8500 128MB

Work (CG): MSI TRX40 Creator, AMD TR 3970X, 128GB RAM, Titan RTX 24GB, Win10Pro

Zock & Office: MSI X58 Pro-E, Xeon X5680 4,2GHz, 24GB RAM, RX590 8GB, KDE Neon

• The FSB 333 version of the 3200+ was exclusively built for OEM's such as HP.
    I think in terms of just system performance the FSB 400 one should be faster.
    Anyway the 3200+ FSB 333 is the fastest you can get for a Athlon XP based Voodoo system ;)

Aristo here has one that goes with his V5 6000. Super cool rig :thumbup:

My 6000 Sys have this rare things CPU and Board (with new capacitors). :spitze:

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Aslinger (10. März 2016 um 21:27)

• Well mostly everyone here knows the cards I had , I am certainly not new to 3dfx V5 based cards in general, it's that I have forgotten many things due to that heavy concussion I had a few years ago, heck I don't even remember when it exactly happened :X

Aye aye, I have lost a lot of memories even from the Paleontology work I did for me Paleontology community @ FB since 2005, normally I could name every Dino out there with the full scientific definitions and now I just have to search for things, it's as if a hole was formed on my brain and things just have gone missing.

Oh well I will take on this adventure once again, I just don't want to end up like last time, still regret on doing all of that ...
    For the ones that want to see what I had, here some pics I still have of those wonderful 3dfx Engineering Samples or Prototypes what ever they are called:

Clockwise:

3dfx Velocity 200 AGP 16MB Rev.A0 2699
    3dfx Voodoo5 5500 PCI Macintosh 64MB Rev.A1 2900
    3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP 128MB Rev.A 3700
    3dfx Voodoo5 5000 AGP x4 32MB Rev.A0 3700 [1st Card]

Top:

Rear:

Top to Bottom:

3dfx Voodoo5 5000 AGP x4 32MB Rev.A0 3700 [2nd Card]
    3dfx Voodoo5 5000 PCI 32MB Rev.A1 0900

Top:

Rear:

All along side those I also had a 5500 AGP x4, altho I don't think this was a prototype, even though rottentreats01 applied the E-Tag to it, the card it's self is very small compared to the production 5500 AGP which I compared it to, functions are the same as is performance from what I can remember, it's the same size as a 5000 AGP x4.

3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP x4 64MB rev.A2 3500
    3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP 64MB Rev.A 2500

Top:

Rear:

As cards go I had so many more tho these were probably my rarest and best ones, but yeah all of these except the ones I have here with me are all gone, and 3 nights ago I had the breaking point and decided to return here hoping to regain some things I have lost.

I also found these pics of my old Voodoo Table :)

Then some of my x-3dfx friends were like paint it white for a better backdrop, so my mum and I painted it cream white... but then the paint dried obviously :topmodel: lel :bonk:

Dat Draw doh, didn't move anymore, the paint fused it xD xD Good Job I was like :spitze:

Also that box in the background I think that was SK1's box for his computer case he was at my place for a Voodoo5 6000 meet an greet xD we gamed a lot lmao and had a hard rock party at my faved Pub, which is closed now sadly

Here SK1's 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP 128MB Rev.A2 2600 with my 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP 128MB Rev.A 3700 :)

Yeah it's good to be back gotta start somewhere right , we all did that's for sure.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (9. Juni 2018 um 13:42)

• Very cool setup; I like it! :)

The nice pub closed down? It seemed to be so well-visited back then! :-O

Hallo dere xD Yeee And yeah the owners left the people in it now and not as fabulous so it kinda died off tbh.
    Even though my mum said it's alot more enjoyful there now, to be very hones ti have no idea xD

Anyways, the main thing we had a hell of a time, a replay is well worth it too xD

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (14. März 2016 um 15:56)