Meine Voodoo5 6000 Rev A3 3400

• Zitat

Original von SK1
    Wir haben das 12-fach VSA Gruppenfoto vergessen, aber die Karte ist natürlich sehr schick! Freut mich, wenn das Problem doch so einfach gelöst sein sollte! :D

Das Problem ist soweit es mich betrifft standart und unterliegt wohl eher welches Betriebssystem man nimmt.

• Zitat

Original von rockys82
    per ICQ...

Da wirste aber net viel Spaß haben, da lads ma besser gleich irgendwo hoch ;)

• Zitat

Achtung! Die letzte Antwort auf dieses Thema liegt mehr als 3 104 Tage zurück.

Geil, passt hier trozdem am besten hin:
    Hab das Problem mit den Streifen noch immer. Inzwischen mal etwas gezielter dokumentiert, auch mit Video. Der Artikel ist auf englisch: https://robertkrau.se/blog/3dfx-vood…ripe-artifacts/

Wenn jemand es explizit übersetzt haben möchte, dann mach ich mir die Arbeit.

• Zitat

Achtung! Die letzte Antwort auf dieses Thema liegt mehr als 3 104 Tage zurück.

Geil, passt hier trozdem am besten hin:
    Hab das Problem mit den Streifen noch immer. Inzwischen mal etwas gezielter dokumentiert, auch mit Video. Der Artikel ist auf englisch: https://robertkrau.se/blog/3dfx-vood…ripe-artifacts/

Wenn jemand es explizit übersetzt haben möchte, dann mach ich mir die Arbeit.

I'm on it bud, I may not have a 6K but I know a few that may help at x-3dfx :)
    I will keep you updated.

Also I made a post at V6K Team here:
    http://www.voodoo3dfx.com/Foro_V6k/viewtopic.php?p=4010#4010

and here our x-3dfx group @ Facebook, Hank is also part of our community and many other Voodoo5 6000 Resource Group Legends
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/x3dfx/

This is an important case and I will try to get the help you seek man :thumbup:

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (11. Februar 2017 um 10:36)

• Verstehe ich das richtig, dass die Streifen in einem aufgenommenem Screenshot nicht erkennbar sind (was du in deinem letzten Blog-Absatz beschreibst)?

Blöde Frage, aber hast du immer mit der gleichen Röhre getestet oder auch mal mit einem TFT?

• Also wenn der Streifen nicht auf dem Screenshot zu sehen ist, tippe ich auf den VGA port bzw. RAMDAC.
    Das VGA-Kabel ist super geschirmt und der Monitor einwandfrei nehme ich mal an :/

• Feinripp could you test with a CRT and not a TFT, use hardware that was made for it's time, just to be more certain :)
    I know it sounds like a simple take on the issue, but it's best to be certain, could be that your monitor is being the cause of everything.

This could be a RAMDAC issue and/or two of the VSA-100's may be damaged, because the Horizontal lines show in a pair of two at the upper part of the screen.
    Since a Voodoo5 6000 has 4 graphics chips, to me it seems clear that two of the 4 are giving RAMDAC issues to some degree.
    The Scan Line Interleave isn't the issue since with FSAA x4 & x8, even tho I think the problem is still there only what FSAA x4 & x8 can do is make the effect less visible as it's makes jaggies smaller and it also darkens the image.

By increasing the level of LED (Level of Detail) you could sharpen the image when using FSAA in all modes, if correct the Horizontal lines would be visible with the higher AA modes.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (11. Februar 2017 um 11:31)

• Jap, auf dem Screenshot ist alles in Ordnung, die Streifen sind nicht zu sehen.

Ich hab mit sämtlichen Bildschirmen getestet und ein männerarmdickes VGA-Kabel benutzt, daran liegt es also nicht.

Ich stehe jetzt schon mit osckhar im Kontakt, der einen Ansatz zur Lösung hat, auf Hardwareebene allerdings. Es wird spannend.

--

On the screenshot everyhing is OK, the stripes are not visible.

I tested with all kinds of screens and used a really thick VGA-Cable, thats not the issue.

I'm already in contact with osckhar who has a guess about the defect.

• Ah good I also sent a PM osckhar about the issue a few minutes ago, just to gather help on this situation.
    I just hope your card can be saved, Rev.A3 3400's are very rare these days.

If you have more info of what is causing this defect, please post what causes it and how it can be fixed, that can be helpful for other Voodoo5 6000 users / owners.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (11. Februar 2017 um 12:06)

• Even if it is the RAMDAC I guess replacing the VSA-100's causing it is the only fix, unless the Xilinx Chip has something to do with this?
    I used to know all of such things sadly I fail to remember :steinigung:

• But why should it be a hardware issue of the RAMDAC when the image is fine on Windows desktop and several 3D modes? Also it's not a problem of the SLI, because the image is fine in the framebuffer. So all VSA100 are OK.

My guess: There is an issues on the pixel clock line caused by frequency interference depending on the load of the card.

Edit: feinripp: What happens when you reduce the gpu/mem clock to... let's say 143MHz?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Löschzwerg (11. Februar 2017 um 16:49)

• But why should it be a hardware issue of the RAMDAC when the image is fine on Windows desktop and several 3D modes? Also it's not a problem of the SLI, because the image is fine in the framebuffer. So all VSA100 are OK.

My guess: There is an issues on the pixel clock line caused by frequency interference depending on the load of the card.

Edit: feinripp: What happens when you reduce the gpu/mem clock to... let's say 143MHz?

Hmm maybe, if that is the case what could fix that; than just lowering the clock of the VSA's?

Also a friend from x-3dfx says the following:

Sapone says:

"The electrolytic capacitors are pushing 20 years old it may be time to replace them. May also be an SMD resistor or cap that is way out of tolerance.
    I would just replace the big ones anyways. Even if they're not bad now, they will fail soon. They're constantly exposed to high levels of heat.
    If they're not doing their job properly then under load they will not help supply stable power to the card."

That might be worth looking in to, he does make some strong valid points there ;)

Also I sent Hank Semenec a PM about this trying to gather a more professional look at the issue, I have a lot of people @ x-3dfx looking in to this, you have our support bud.

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (11. Februar 2017 um 17:13)

• I tried lowering the clocks to 143 MHz - doesn't help.
    Regarding the aging components: True, but I very rarely use the card and have the issue from the beginning on.

Still aging does take place even if you use it a lot or not, this is one thing GAT told me some years ago when I had my Rev.A 3700.
    I will keep you updated if I get anything, you can also joins x-3dfx via Facebook if you like to :)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/x3dfx/

Willem B is me Anthony and I own the x-3dfx page @ FB, we always look out to add more 3dfx fans and members from all over the place :)

• feinripp
    Hast du alles um die Karte rum schonmal mit anderen Komponenten gegengetestet, also auch mal ein anderes Board / NT usw.? Ich würde da unbedingt erstmal alles mögliche drumrum durchtauschen (und wenns statt ner USB ne PS/2 Maus mal ist -> einfach alles, egal wie abwägig es erscheint), bevor ich der Karte irgendein hardwareseitiges Problem attestieren würde.
    Vor allem, da sie in 4x und 8x FSAA ja super läuft.

Ich würd sie wahrscheinlich erstmal auf einem AGP 2X Board (mit ausschließlich 3,3V AGP, sowas wie BX oder Irongate) mit absoluter Minimalkonfiguration ausprobieren. Vielelicht ist dein System ja zu schnell für die Karte, wenn weniger als 4x FSAA eingestellt ist :spitze: (zu viel Signalrauschen durch zu hohe FPS oder sonst was, bei modernen Karten kennt man ja das Phänomen, dass die Spulen tlw. brutal anfangen zu fiepen, wenn die Karte zu viel FPS produziert)