Meine Voodoo5 6000 Rev A3 3400

• Welp I would not be surprised if the EPoX EP-8K5A2+ is causing this problem, I used to have three of those and all three gave me unstable AGP voltages,2.9 to 3.2V it varied a lot even after changing the battery.
    As where the EP-8K3A+ the one Hank Semenec advised never gave a single hitch.

• Well, i think unstable AGP Voltages could also be, that the capacitors, especially close to the agp connector, are'nt as good, as they should be.

I don't know, if Epox used quality capacitors or not. Just a guess.

-----

Ich denke, wenn die AGP Spannungen nicht stabil sind, kann es an irgendwelchen Kondensatoren liegen.
    Vielleicht kannst Du mal da drüber schauen, vielleicht sogar messen irgendwie im laufenden Betrieb.

IBM ThinkpadX31 der kleine Pinguin für unterwegs
    2x AMD Opteron 246 (ehm. 244er) 4 GB RAM, Tyan K8W Tiger eine "Troye" Linux Workstation für den Power-User,Debian, 7 3.2.0-4 amd64
    Thinkpad 760ED, Win 3.11 für Unterwegs.
    achja: GA-7IXE4 Sockel A Board, Voodoo 5 5500. Die LAN Schlampe, eines Tages bekommt sie anständiges Zuhause.
    Gigabyte-G5AA, Matrox G450DualHead, AMD K6-2, Terratec EWS64XL (64MB RAM) - Keyboard MIDI Workstation

Nur ein Klassiker ist'n Klassiker. 3dfx und BMW

• Capacitators on EPoX Boards of that aera are cheapest crap. The should be replaced
    instantly after quick board test and before mounting higher priced or rare components.

At last that wouldnt be the fault in feinripps case with his v56k. Seems to me that
    there is/are bad/opened solderings or (less) defect part(s) on the 6k pcb..
    Perhaps one of the GPUs is loose or in the signalline to the ramdac.
    Without precise investigation of the hardware itself its just speculative.

• Yeah very good points thereguys, well I messaged Hank Semenec on the case, if he replies back to me I will surely let you guys know.
    At x-3dfx I have got some of the team working on the case, we have many old x-3dfx members that surely can help including Nd4SpdSe, NuAngel, Gamma742 & Hank Semenec and many more :)

• OK, bad capacitors on the Epox 8K5A2 board could be the problem, but why the 2 stripes gone with 4x and 8x AA Mode?

Install Everst Home 2.20, go to sensor and post the 3.3V, AGP Voltage under Last and idle Mode. Me has 3,26-3.29V with the 8K3A+ Rev. 1.2 Board and the 6k 3700A.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Aslinger (13. Februar 2017 um 16:30)

• Hmm that seems normal as long it doesn't go lower the 3.2v.
    I always had issues with that and the 8K5A2+, the 8K3A+ gave me more stable AGP voltages and no AGP voltage fluctuations.
    Hank Semenec like Gary Donovan both strongly advised me to use the EPoX EP-8K3A+ for those very reasons, so I kind of advise this to other Voodoo5 6000 users,
    the 8K3A+ is the best motherboard for all Voodoo5 6000 revisions and this is also why Hank Strongly recommends this motherboard type.

Top View + Retention Bracket
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://abload.de/img/epoxep-8k3arev1.2topafykze.jpg]

Rear view:
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://abload.de/img/epoxep-8k3arev1.2rearv4kma.jpg]

[Blockierte Grafik: http://abload.de/img/mobocardszoomedjdska.jpg]

[Blockierte Grafik: http://abload.de/img/v5closeupr4s22.jpg]

@ Aristo084

Please keep in mind Feinripp has a Rev.A3 3400 this card may also react different to your much common revision the Rev.A 3700.
    Every revision is different from each other. just a side note, this is something I really did not forget.

As for the lines got with FSAA x4 & x8, could be cause of how FSAA decreases the size of jaggies
    So maybe these lines or somehow so small you don't see them, as for Single chip mode the lines don't occur either... that too is strange.
    Yet I still think it's RAMDAC related, well somewhere around that area.

At a glance I first thought that It could be that the capacitors on the 6K are dried out for causing this issue;
    But even if that were the case the lines would appear in all mods so that thought is also left out.

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (15. Februar 2017 um 19:26)

• ATX voltage tolerance on 3.3v line is +/-5% (3.14v - 3.47v).

No matter how, if the voltage is too low, the card would rather lockup than showing those strange lines (and after all run fine on 4x/8x). So I don't think that the problem is voltage related.

BUT trying a different board (EP-8K3A+) could be worth a shot.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Löschzwerg (15. Februar 2017 um 19:13)

• ATX voltage tolerance on 3.3v line is +/-5% (3.14v - 3.47v).

No matter how, if the voltage is too low, the card would rather lockup than showing those strange lines (and after all run fine on 4x/8x). So I don't think that the problem is voltage related.

BUT trying a different board (EP-8K3A+) could be worth a shot.

I just stuck to Hank's & Gary's advice and I never doubted their advice and knowledge, thus why I use EP-8K3A+ only.
    These motherboards are extremely rare, since most Voodoo5 6000 users wanted them back in the day.
    I got mine via VA member daywhite_01, he may have one or two left, he recapped mine as well, that too would be of great advice btw 8)

• Na wozu gibt es die Mainboard-Kompatibilitätsliste... Da könnte feinripp mal schauen,
    ob er nicht noch ein anderes Board da hat, welches definitiv funktionieren wird (sprich: auf der Liste steht).
    Falls nicht, dann schnapp dir das nächstgünstige Board welches Du finden kannst und welches
    auf der Liste steht.

Kann natürlich sein, dass es mit einem Mainboard immer noch das Problem gibt.
    Dann wären 50€ oder mehr für so ein Epox Board der Overkill gewesen.

-------------------

Well there ist the VoodooAlert Mainboard-Compability List.
    Feinripp could take a look there, perhaps he has a board in stock which is
    on the list and gvive it a try.
    Or if not, he could grab the next best cheap board on ebay, which is also on the list.

It could be, of course, that the problem continues existing on other boards.
    Then, 50 Euros for an Epox Board would be too much.

2x AMD Opteron 246 (ehm. 244er) 4 GB RAM, Tyan K8W Tiger eine "Troye" Linux Workstation für den Power-User,Debian, 7 3.2.0-4 amd64
    achja: GA-7IXE4 Sockel A Board, Voodoo 5 5500. Die LAN Schlampe, eines Tages bekommt sie anständiges Zuhause.
    Gigabyte-G5AA, Matrox G450DualHead, AMD K6-2, Terratec EWS64XL (64MB RAM) - Keyboard MIDI Workstation

• Mhh - I don't think so. Got them in the last 2-3 years and refurbished them.
    The old RAID-Controller onboard is useless anyway, I don't care, if present or not ;)

In that case i'am glad not to have sold these boards cheap months ago :spitze:

BTW: The Enmic 8ttx3(+) is an identic built - for people who are searching.
    Got them too in working condition :D
    Wouldn't prefer those brand for V5 6k, not shure if these are 100% identic,
    but they seem to be. Just tested and in stock, never used longer time.

• but 50 euro's to save a 4000 euro Prototype would not be too much ;)
    As most would value these cards , I wouldn't I still value them around 1200 euro or so not more.
    But still if it only would take me 50 euro to save a Voodoo5 6000 I owned I'd do it, it's cheaper than letting it be repaired and hoping it will work.

As for the Motherboard list & Voodoo5 60000 list that was all my work btw, here my original work which I now have at EVGA:
    http://forums.evga.com/3dfx-Voodoo5-6…s-m2185131.aspx

Since some of the EVGA Tech support members also have a Voodoo5 6000 , I wanted to keep their names hidden for personal reasons.
    They loved my work as did all the members, trust me I know what Motherboard is the best, Hank Semenec as many other Voodoo5 6000 owners told me to get that board.
    The 8K5A2 series have unstable AGP voltages I had 3 myself all were troublesome and unreliable.

But then again I don't think this would be feinripp's problem, but it's not something I would leave out either.

• Wenn er einen AGP2PCI Adapter hat, könnte er auch in jedem x-beliebigem Mainboard gegentesten.
    Oder gar in dem gleichem Board, wo er zur Zeit die Probleme hat.

Bin mal gespannt, was da das Problem ist. Das interessiert mich sehr,
    all diese ganze Elektronik. Obwohl ich mir nie zutrauen würde, an so einer Karte zu arbeiten.
    -------------------

If he owns a AGP2PCI Adapter, he could test it in nearly every mainboard,
    especially in his Epox.

@Obi-Wan:
    I'm not a v5-6000 owner, i just read this list a while ago, i remebered - there was a list.
    I'm interested in solving this problem,
    it's very interesting for me, all this electronic stuff... That's the reason i'm electrician :spitze:

• Ich habe bzgl. V5 6k keine Ahnung, das vorweg. Ich weiß auch nicht ob das "Streifenproblem" Mainboard abhängig ist. Dennoch würde ich an deiner Stelle mal ein anderes Board ausprobieren. Die Epox Bretter sind ja sehr beliebt aber wie schon besprochen sehr selten und eigentlich immer mit defekten Kondensatoren, falls die originalen nicht schon getauscht wurden.

Als Alternative würde ich mal das MSI KT3-Ultra (2) ausprobieren. Ist recht günstig zu erwerben und die Kondensatoren sind Qualitativ besser. Ich selbst habe mehrere davon und kann sie nur empfehlen. Wenn der KT333 (CD/CE) verbaut ist schafft das Board auch 3,3V. Habe ich selbst mal gemessen. Siehe hier.

Gold Leader hat auf einem MSI KT3 Ultra-ARU auch mal eine 3700er betrieben. ---> Link EVGA Forum . ---> Bild.
    Im 3dfxzone.it hat ebenfalls jemand eine 3700er darauf betrieben ---> Link 3dfxzone.it Forum

Das Board ist bei den meisten wegen seiner Farbe nicht so beliebt. Es hat aber auch ein paar gute Eigenschaften:

• Elko Qualität
    • Barton Support offiziell bis 3000+ (natürlich läuft der 3200er FSB 333 auch und die Mobilen ebenfalls)
    • USB 2.0 Unterstützung bei Ultra2 Version
    • sehr stabil, zumindest im Betrieb mit einer V5 5500
    • sehr performant, sogar minimal schneller als sein Epox Kollege ;) Siehe Beitrag bei Hard Tecs 4U ---> Link.
    • Overclocking: FSB von 100 - 220 Mhz; Multi von 6 - 15; Vcore von 1,625 - 1,75
    • günstig
    • noch recht gut verfügbar

Nur mal so als Vorschlag, falls ein ebenbürtiger Ersatz gesucht wird zum Epox Board und man für den Test nicht viel Geld ausgeben möchte.

Hinweis: Man sollte vor dem Betrieb einmal unter den Chipsatzkühler schauen und sicherstellen das nicht der KT333CF verbaut ist, der kann keine 3,3V.

Info: Falls bekannt sein sollte dass diese Boards nicht kompatibel mit deiner Rev. A3 3400er sein sollte dann kann dieser Post kommentarlos ignoriert werden. :D

Die Pixel beschleunigt, die Kanten gefixt, lang leben die Karten von 3dfx! :spitze:

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Avenger (17. Februar 2017 um 13:48) aus folgendem Grund: 3dfxzone.it Link korrigiert

• Da steht aber nicht explizit dass die Karte auf Grund des Einsatzes im KT3-Ultra gestorben ist. Kann auch andere Gründe gehabt haben.

Raff selbst schreibt bei Verkauf seines Mobos:

Zitat

Ein sehr gutes Sockel-A-Brett für möglichst leistungsfähige Retro-Rechner. Dank des KT333CE-Chipsets können Voodoo-Grafikkarten jeder Art eingesetzt werden - ich hatte sogar die V5 6000 darin laufen. Etwas FSB-OC ist auch möglich.

Thread dazu hier.

Die Pixel beschleunigt, die Kanten gefixt, lang leben die Karten von 3dfx! :spitze:

• @ Avenger that motherboard is partually compatible since some Voodoo5 6000's didn't boot from it gave a black screen, omega_Supreme from The Netherlands did successfully testhis Rev.A 3700 in there but after some time his card did die
    But we don't know if it was the motherboard that caused it, some people thing it does others didn't, but how cana motherboard kill a VGAyou then wonder, right?

The slightest unstable AGP Voltages can do this, but then again I can't say much of it because omega_supreme told me his HiNT HB1-SE-66 died.

And then looking at the age of that topic at 3dfxzone.it...that topic is from 2004 man... omg, such a long time ago..
    That was a time when 3dfx collecting was fun, major fun since it was affordable for many of us collectors,but now, now it's all over priced expensive many of these 6000's have landed in the wrong hands as well.
    I do miss it to be honest a lot really, still hate myself for selling all what I once had, all I can do now is help people with what I know.

Anyways as for feinripp's card I got the info to osckhar and he is on the case, as he replied in my topic here:
    http://www.voodoo3dfx.com/Foro_V6k/viewtopic.php?p=4013#4013

As osckhar writes:

"I already talked with fienripp and I explained I fixed similar problem on V5-6000 3700 A but lines was present in 2/4/8xFSAA and I know for where start to looking since problem is on itself of the card- first is to know what VSA 100 has the problem and look the line voltage timing circuit is failing and check component by component."

So don't give up hope yet my 3dfx Veteran Friends :thumbup:

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (18. Februar 2017 um 12:39)

• Gold Leader: Thanks for your information. I don't have enough knowledge about the V5 6k. Well, i thought it was an additional mainboard choise. Let's hope the best and feinripp can solved the problem.