Custom Voodoo 1 with 2x TMUs and SLI capabilities

• Anthony outdid himself again. After replicating the modules for Obsidian 50SB and 100SB, now he has done the Voodoo 1 with 2x TMUs and SLI capability. This guys is just great!!!
    Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd9u6EopLK4

:respekt: :respekt: :respekt:

And some pictures from Anthony himself:

[Blockierte Grafik: https://naviburg.ru/tmp/adv_sst1.jpg]

[Blockierte Grafik: https://naviburg.ru/tmp/adv_sst2.jpg]

[Blockierte Grafik: https://naviburg.ru/tmp/adv_sst3.jpg]

And a FAQ from Anthony again:

short faq:
    q: it's your designed boads on youtube video?
    a: surely yes, and even more, i have 3 tmu pcb design and based on it 2 tmu pcb project and have even working prototypes for 2 tmu board

q: why shown boards look different?
    a: because pcbs mentioned above intendend to use 6 layers pcbs. and boards you may see at youtube designed to use 4 layers at scratch

q: what about overclocking v1 sli?
    a: no, hardware limit, mentioned 20 years ago in q3d drivers. but single board will do overclock as usual

q: any possibility in memory expansion?
    a: sure, but for tmus only, so max 10mb per board (4mb per tmu, 2 mb for fbi). on my board this possibility released by using two ras memory modules (1mb per chip). if going to 4mb per tmu with 0.5mb memory chips, there should be utilizing 6 layers design as you can see on any voodoo 2 board.

q: why only 2mb for fbi?
    a: because of hardware limitation. on v1 only 2mb for fbi in sli mode supported

q: max resolution for boards in sli?
    a: 800x600 for v1 boards. because frame buffer memory amout is doubled, so you will get 4mb fb ram in sli system

q: is it important to have 4mb per tmu?
    a: no, any early dos/windows glide game using only 2mb. 4mb texture memory only makes sense on later demanding games, where v5 is better choise

q: any support for sli in dos games
    a: i'd like to say yes. sli support exist in any glide driver by default, but to make sure benchmarks or other tests should be done (not done yet)

q: how you can prove you words about v1 limitations:
    a: here you ought to go (it's glide2x source, all the quirks are well commented): https://sourcecodebrowser.com/glide/2002…7c03549bfe.html

q: how your boards perform compare to known v1 sli configurations?
    a: i have 100sb card and couple of 50sb cards. so i can claim that the perfomance is same

q: any special drivers required?
    a: no, support for sli and 2 tmus and 4mb per tmu should be in any existing driver. i'm using diamond monster driver at this moment. canopus driver should be avoided due to it behaviour to detect custom chip (that only canopus boards have) on board

q: how about third tmu on v1 or v2 boards?
    a: i have strong doubt concerning drivers support. looks like massive driver development required to take some profit from third tmu. what we know about card of such configuration? only primary image cards equipped with 3 tmus. and most likely they had own custom software to support all these. anyway, competent programmer should take a serious look at source codes to tell us something.

q: is any hope to v2 based projects?
    a: i'm able to do pcb design, but not able to do even prototypes assembly. look at this superfine pitch at fbi chip. hate to solder it. considerable investements req'd to make automated assembly. and no warranty that all will work from first batch, so more expenses, etc, etc

q: any upcoming projects?
    a: hell, yeah

q: what cad tool do you utilizing?
    a: don't like to talk about it, cause did not pay for this tool. it name starts with e and ends with le. not best choise, wish to migrate to allegro or altium

q: can you make a v56k?
    a: sure, give me funds and 1.5 years

q: are you serious about v56k?
    of course, this card is no more than 2 v55s on own pci bus (with some quirks). i have v55 schematic and have a chance to explore v56k so the rest is technical question

q: how much?
    a: eur10k for direct expenses. professional oscilloscope, reflow owen, prototypes pcb ordering, aalchemy card in any state (have to explore advanced design comparing to not the best v56k layout) and few things more

q: how to buy your v1?
    a: will place pair of these cards on ebay auction in near future to evaluate interest. in urgent cases contact me in pm

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von EMPEROR (20. Februar 2018 um 18:06)

• Yes it is... check the stamp on the PCB "ADVANCED SST" on the front and "Rev 1.0" and some other custom signs on the back :)
    I already asked him about mass production, and I assume he will definitely do it, but it won't be pretty cheap...

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von EMPEROR (14. Februar 2018 um 20:23)

• Awesomesauce! Must've been an enormous challenge!

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

Stolzer Besitzer eines 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP Prototypen:

• 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP HiNT Rev.A-3700

[//wp.xin.at] - No RISC, no fun!

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

Quote Bier.jpg@IRC 2020: "Je schlimmer der Fetisch, desto besser!"

• Damn this dude is a beast! Did he design the entire board layout from scratch?
    EMPEROR
    Are you staying in touch with him about his plans to produce more?

Voodoo-Kiste (seit 3dfx BayernLAN 2007):
    TUSL2-C, P3-S 1400, 512MB SDR, Voodoo 5 5500 AGP, 9,1GB IBM SCSI (OS), 40GB HDD (Games), Adaptec 2940-U2W SCSI
    Dualatin: GA-6VTXD, 2x P3-S 1400, 1GB SDR, 2x 60GB, Hercules Radeon 8500 128MB

Work (CG): MSI TRX40 Creator, AMD TR 3970X, 128GB RAM, Titan RTX 24GB, Win10Pro

Zock & Office: MSI X58 Pro-E, Xeon X5680 4,2GHz, 24GB RAM, RX590 8GB, KDE Neon

• We also have something else in mind, that might get lots of people excited :D

Ok, now you got me pumped :D:P

Voodoo-Kiste (seit 3dfx BayernLAN 2007):
    TUSL2-C, P3-S 1400, 512MB SDR, Voodoo 5 5500 AGP, 9,1GB IBM SCSI (OS), 40GB HDD (Games), Adaptec 2940-U2W SCSI
    Dualatin: GA-6VTXD, 2x P3-S 1400, 1GB SDR, 2x 60GB, Hercules Radeon 8500 128MB

Work (CG): MSI TRX40 Creator, AMD TR 3970X, 128GB RAM, Titan RTX 24GB, Win10Pro

Zock & Office: MSI X58 Pro-E, Xeon X5680 4,2GHz, 24GB RAM, RX590 8GB, KDE Neon

• 3dfx SYSTEME (Silent/low Noise) Windows 98 SE:

QDI Legend V2200 AGP +Diamond Monster 3D +Videologic Apocalypse 3Dx | ASUS P2B-B | PII 450 | 128MB | 32GB CF
    Matrox G400 MAX +Matrox m3D +Orchid Righteous 3D² SLI | ASUS P3B-F | PIII 1100 | 256MB | 8GB CF
    Voodoo 5 5500 AGP | ASUS TUSL2-M | PIII-S 1400 | 256MB | 120GB SSD
    Voodoo 5 5500 AGP | EPoX EP-8K5A3+ | AthlonXP 3000+ | 512MB | 16GB CF |

• [...] Next project- V2 with single PCB and 16Mb per 2 TMU or 24Mb per 3 TMU and 8Mb per FBI? [...]

I know nothing about the person or the project, but guessing from what he said I don't think that a v² is a likely option. To follow the statement that the v1 and the v5 are the only Voodoos one really needs, the most likely goal would be a rebuild/redesign of a VSA-100 based card. Of course, those are immeasurably more complex, so I'm not sure whether it's going to be something THAT challenging...

Mah, I'll just wait and see. :)

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

• [...] Next project- V2 with single PCB and 16Mb per 2 TMU or 24Mb per 3 TMU and 8Mb per FBI? [...]

but guessing from what he said I don't think that a v² is a likely option. To follow the statement that the v1 and the v5 are the only Voodoos one really needs, the most likely goal would be a rebuild/redesign of a VSA-100 based card. Of course, those are immeasurably more complex, so I'm not sure whether it's going to be something THAT challenging...

Mah, I'll just wait and see. :)

Yeah same opinion here.
    I think an SLI of two V5 cards would be great, as good as the V5 6000.
    Maybe combining an AGP and a PCI one.

3dfx SYSTEME (Silent/low Noise) Windows 98 SE:

QDI Legend V2200 AGP +Diamond Monster 3D +Videologic Apocalypse 3Dx | ASUS P2B-B | PII 450 | 128MB | 32GB CF
    Matrox G400 MAX +Matrox m3D +Orchid Righteous 3D² SLI | ASUS P3B-F | PIII 1100 | 256MB | 8GB CF
    Voodoo 5 5500 AGP | ASUS TUSL2-M | PIII-S 1400 | 256MB | 120GB SSD
    Voodoo 5 5500 AGP | EPoX EP-8K5A3+ | AthlonXP 3000+ | 512MB | 16GB CF |

• Mh, true! Would be awesome for the world to open-source the blueprints and license them properly so they won't be abused. GPLv3 or something. Although I can't imagine that having them built can be anywhere near "cheap". ;)

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg