Beiträge von dr.zeissler

Just ordered:

- P65 PCIe

- G550 PCI

The P65 PCIe is not tested at all, the G550 PCI loses against MX4000 PCI.

G550 PCI can only be installed manually under win9x becaue the setup can't detect the G550 AGP behind the PCI2AGP Bridgechip, but it works. The bridge-chip seems to produce a lot of overhead. Frames are reallly bad. older games like HL1 are not smooth in opengl or D3D. EMBM is nice but R7000 is much faster in EMBM. No hardware TnL and also no S3TC, so MX4000 has TnL and S3TC so I went for that card. But good to see that G550 PCI exists. R7000 PCI is the best card in that class but I went for MX4000 because of better support in amithlon.

Currently using my P650 in that system. Interesting results on that P650/64MB.

1. Does run Parhelia Reef Demo at acceptable Performance! Visuals are really good!

2. Supports S3TC, but when using S3TC resolution is only up to 800x600 otherwise I get corrupted screen.

3. 3DM2001, works with PS and Adv- Pixelshadertest as well as the Vertex-shaders! Great!!! (SM2/3 for later 3DM is not supported, though)

4. What I really don't like is the missing 16AF that ATI cards offer since R7000, this makes especially floors look much much nicer. Hopefully I can tweak this behavior.

5. When using S3TC I get massive framedrops every view seconds, I am relatively shure that this is due to 64MB Vram and only 64Bit SI, ATI offers some sort of compression to compensate the low bandwith.

6. Blood2 has some glitches. Sky is not shown correctly (win2K/XP), missing 16AF on the floor.

7. First start on AMITHLON does not work, I do not get an Image on screen, I have to investigate because AMITHLON should work,

8. I will also install a suitable Linux on that system. Any recommendations for this. Otherwise I go for DEBIAN with Enlightment-Desktop.

9. Morrpwind does not offer shaders option, regardless if it requires DX8 shaders and the P650 supports them as tested on 3DM2001, but water does not look so good even with shaders-option.

I'll check another driver. Mine has currently no option to setup for my P650.

I really like that P650 card and I am very nervous to get the real parhelia, hopefully the fan is not toooooo load on that card.

I'll change the machine to a XPC SN45Gv2 with NForce-Chipset and Soundstorm Audio.

NForce-Drivers should begin work on Win9x/Win2K/XP. Parhelia does not offer Win9x drivers.

You already statet to go for WinXP SP3, what driver do you recommend for that?

Don't get me wrong, I love the underdogs, I also love the low-end versions because I hate loud fan noise, so the P650 was an obvious choice for me. But you are right, it's the wrong card in the wrong machine. This XPC can drive Win9x so I will go for another AGP card. But I did check some further software:

- Morrowind does not offer the shaders-option (thought it was dx81 compliant, seems to be a vertex-shader, not the pixel-shader)

- Himmelsstürmer scrolls beautiful. great!

- no S3TC that'very bad

- matrox-reef-demo runs with 64mb option. great!

- jazz2 has no smooth scrolling, no matter what I try.

- drakan has lot's of glitches, but embm does work indeed.

more to come.

In order to get your full quote, I paste it here because of the additional informations:

Obi Wan Kenobi · 5. Juli 2022, 21:26

(Zitat von dr.zeissler)

you're doing it wrong lol, then again this is old research for me yes FC doesn't work correctly for P512, P512 is not fully DX9, it's a hybrid half DX 8.1 half DX9.0a, as I have said in the first post make sure you READ my posts they hold valuable Information!!!

In theory it should run FC1 just fine, thing is it won't because this game was not optimized to take fully advantage from the P512 it's self.

It's a NVIDIA funded game bu by their lame The Way it's meant To be Played program, the predecessor program of GPP, which was gladly ended thanks to Kyle bennett for going directly after it, NVIDIA being nGreedia all over.

Yet he funny part is that Far Cry 1 runs best on the ATi Radeon 9700 Pro this card creams it, which was kind of ironic lol.

If playing space combat sims this is where the Parhelia truly shines, Freelancer uses Vertex Shader 2.0 in it's open space maps it supports both Pixel Shader 1.3, 1.4 and 2.0 but it's also been very well optimized for the P512 hence why I get roughly 120+ fps with it in that game at 1024x768x32 in max ingame settings + FAA x16 & AF x2, hich is very nice for the AthlonXP 2200+ I am using with it.

But then again why am I explaining this again if you don't read our posts, yet you post pointless comments :rolleyes:... sigh...

I tested it. It's DX8.1 not DX9 so FarCry is not looking good. It's looking really bad, no waterreflection and lightning broken. So wrong card for that. NV-Techdemo Chameleon is working, effects seem to be OK, trasition between the effects is slow, so chameleon sometimes not visible for 1-2 seconds. Card seems to be slow in UE1 (Rune/Unreal) Did not expect that, have to investigate, should be much much faster in thesen.

More testing to come...