Posts by osckhar

Hello,

Hm... OK but i like to see a 6K on a 3.3V AGP Board hitting over 5000 in 3dmark01. AGP2PCI Adapter for using a IntelCore Or something else with a old Voodoo is like cheating.

My (Till today) unbreakable Wall is hitting 20.000 Points in 3dmark99, 10.000 Point in 3dmark00 and 4800Points in 3dmark01 with a regular 3.3V AGP Mainboard. And without Driver Cheating. (LOD- Very Ugly) And i don't know a 6K that scales beyond a 55K with such Setup. The Limit is Not the Voodoo, But the Processor.

The problem using a KT333 board with 6000s is the CPU using 3DMark2001 since T&L must be done via SW for such reason the scores between a 6000 and 5500 is very similar but if you use an agp2pci adapter in same platform with a powerfull C2D or betteer, for example an ASUS WS with PCIx device and test ast same setting a V5-5500 and V5-6000- 6000s is arround 1750 point better than V5-5500 on 3Dmark2001.

Anthony ,

Is there any limitation? Can I use a modded V5 5500 card? For example a V5 5500 moded AGP4X, 210MHz and 128Mb? I can test it on 3DMark2001... WoW, a lot of years since at FalconFly Forum we 'battle' for getting the best score- TM30 had great scores too and later we started the battles with the V5-6000 and you were to able to check online the scores of everybody...

Regards,
    Oscar.

Iam very sure that the 55K is faster than 6K in 3dmark01.

Really no, I handled over 6000 points with a V5-6000 many years ago. Getting 4500 points with a v5 5500 is 'easy', to reach 6000 points with a v5-5500 is other history.

For getting a V5-6000s fast you only need an AGP2PCI adapter compatible with 66MHz and a fast system.

Regards,
    Oscar.

I think that cannot be entirely correct. We had some benchmarks here that showed huge advantages for AGP V4 outperforming V5 being bottlenecked by 'PCI' bus. Will check if i find those...will be in german though.

Yes, correct. Using a V4 AGP 66MHz and V5-5500 PCI 33MHz in some special game and test V4 will perform better.

Just Anthony wanted to know if the switch 33/66MHz on VSA100 across strapping really affects on performance as it affects using using a pci bus 33MHz VS AGP 66MHz.

Seems such switch should do same difference between pci 33 vs agp 66MHz but in reality there is not difference.

Anthony , now I catch you- you mean if there is difference performance between to set up 6000 66MHz instead of 33MHz (disabling Hank's rework)- answer is NO. Years ago I did many test using 6000s with Hanks Rework and without it. Hanks rework sets up VSA100 as PCI 33MHz instead 66MHz but talking in a global performance there is not impact.

I did similar test doing Hanks rework on V5 AGP and sets up 33MHz instead of 66MHz, performance was the same even disabling AGP capabilities and seated up V5 AGP as PCI with same performance.

I used 3Dmark2001 since the difference in performance between 33 and 66MHz is very noticeable using T&L by Software- always same performance.

Across of an AGP2PCI adapter you can check the difference performance between 33 and 66MHz in any VSA100 card. Difference is very important when emulation via SW is present.

Regards,

Oscar.

my card stable only at 180mhz with 5ns memory chips. will try 4ns anyway, but may be this particular vsa chip not good in terms of overclocking ability

If you use Hyundai or Samsung 5ns- I had same problem here and card needed a lot of dramInit1 tweaks for runing over 180MHz. I dont think it is a VSA101 problem if not a problem of right memory with right timing. I tested 4ns and now card works 200MHz but I did fast tests and It will need more tweaks for runing over 200MHz.

Regards,

Oscar.

Hello,

Anthony , Correct. My modded Daytona IBM 64Mb DDR SGRAM works perfect using 4 banks with 16Mb each chip with a total 64Mb, and yes, you need to connect rear side A11 pin memory to chip daytona. If you want to use only 2 front chips with 16Mb each chip for total 32Mb, you dont need to do any rework.

I did not modify directly register 'on fly' if not I did all the work via STRAPPING, difficult work since without Daytona Databook, you must guess what are the correct points but with patience and checking PCI18 IO data you can start to check bits in dramInit0.

As you declarated before of original IBM does not work correctly since membase PCI14 is set up with only 64Mb and for perfect function it needs to be 128Mb.

I still working on IBM Daytona since my main idea is to mod the daytona IBM with 128Mb- I have in mind some crazy idea for doing it - komponent style - , but not sure if it will work though. Just waiting for new Qtsop memory.

Anyway, a Daytona with 64Mb is not bad option. You can play it 1280x1020 2xFSAA. About O/C, with new memory 4ns I am awaiting I hope to reach more than 220MHz- actually I use memory of 5ns and it reached 190-195MHz estable. Daytona chip O/C as the hell, just you need to find correct memory. I own an original Daytona 4-2 4800 agp 32Mb with not heatsink and it works with 0 problem over 220MHz and it has not any VMod or similar and it uses standar dramInit0 and dramInit1 register used on daytona bios 1.06 or 1.05c.

Regards,

Oscar.

Hello Lacho,

if you can ask him let me know. A voodoo1 with 8Mb (4+4) TMU and 4Mb FBI in a single PCB had been very nice but I dont know if a Glide game runing across a V1 SLI can handle resolution of 1024x768.

Next project- V2 with single PCB and 16Mb per 2 TMU or 24Mb per 3 TMU and 8Mb per FBI?

Regards,
    Oscar.

Kaitou , this V5 is a sample for me where I will add the best ever MODD seen before . And yes, this card runs stable where a pure A2 V5-5500 AGP4x works.

Years ago I modded a V5 to ketfri with 128Mb anfld jumper set memory size on fly.

Regards,
    Oscar.

Hello,

Seems Bernd's 55000 will reach 210MHz. At the moment 200MHz stable looping demo with not VMOD.

ketfri8002 , I did some progress and added more modd's, AGP4x support, VSA100 3rd rev, panel control with jumper cap for setting different VSA100 voltage 2.8/3.0/3.1xVSA100 and new m9dded heatsink built by me.

[Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/5tFEZjd.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/5YyS9C1.jpg]

Yupe, card looks amazing. : )

SK1 , I dont know but when I test modded card with not heatsink using 3RD VSA100 rev. with not heatsink and only a12cm big fan blowing air onto the chips card handles 185MHz clock speed.

Regards,
    Oscar.

Hello at all,

Tweakstone , thanks!!!
    @stivy, no problem. We can talk about tech details here. There are 2 important points, the theory and practice. Theory says a perfect BGA reworks has a curve with a maximum point of heat of arround 220ºC when we are talking about leaded balls but since I dont like stress the PCB with high temperature and I use a profile where max temperature reach not more than 200ºC enough for soldering and desoldering any BGA IC. Later is very important you know very well your BGA MACHINE rework- it means a lot of hours of practice and checking different values for using the best profile you needs.

Yes, high temperatura while you are doing a reflow at a BGA chip can damage it since it can joint different pads. So be ware with reflows since it needs more heat.

Edited 26/03/2027 - I forgot to say I used new and original VSA100 since is not a worth to reball the original chip because the shorts can damage the chips and for reworks I prefer to use new ones. Anyway I have reballed used VSA100 and Avenger or even Rampage chip for my prototypes with not problem. Yes, renalling is an option too.

Kaitou , Here I am for fixing your V5 but not always I will be to able to fix them. ; )

Regards,
    Oscar.

Thanks @GAT for the info. : )

I started again to work on 3400 A3 and reemplaced MASTER VSA100 CHIP.

TAKING OUT MASTER VSA100 CHIP
    [Blocked Image: http://i66.tinypic.com/2a4ppia.jpg]

CLEANING BGA PADS
    [Blocked Image: http://i67.tinypic.com/rthsm0.jpg]
    [Blocked Image: http://i64.tinypic.com/xp93pc.jpg]

STARTING PROCESS BGA REWORK
    [Blocked Image: http://i63.tinypic.com/2ebfsw4.jpg]

PERFECT ENDED BGA REWORK
    [Blocked Image: http://i64.tinypic.com/2115q9d.jpg]

BOOTING UP 3400 A3
    [Blocked Image: http://i66.tinypic.com/11ieno2.jpg]

QUAKE 3 FAST MODE WITH NOT LINES ERRORS.
    [Blocked Image: http://i65.tinypic.com/684j29.jpg]

Very nice feeling when later a BGA REWORK you see again the card is booting up without problems - each BGA rework is a risk - since I dont have here stuff for checking if process is correct and if there are not balls in short or some ball is not soldered correctly - I would need a X-Ray machine - and when I run a Quake 3 in fast mode or 2xFSAA and lines vanish- not words here. Amazing feeling of 'peace'. 8)

Another 3Dfx V5-6000 fixed. :respekt: