Posts by Gold Leader

Good to see you are able to repair those cards Backfire , yet I rarely understood was is said here, the pics don't lie about the issues coming before hand if I understand correctly is that more and more Voodoo5 5500 & 6000 are getting flaws or defects and require heft repairs? Hmm

Strange tho not many such reports at x-3dfx then again it's good to see that you know how to repair these cards.
    Did Hank ever get back to you yet, I did forward him the message btw.

As for my Voodoo3 3500 it's doing very well I just run it every week just to avoid the capacitors from drying out, chance is large that the damaged cards you keep repairing are cards from collectors that never to rarely use them this will make the capacitors dry out when powered on this too can cause major issues.

Hank told me wise words to always keep your cards in running state as much as you can to avoid such unwanted things.
    Good work anyways :)

Rock on 8)

Hey all just a shout out here that the 3dfx collection at the Dodge Garage seems to be donw
    http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/

I used Waterfox & Internet Explorer and no go

Waterfox:

IE 11:

Only via Proxies & VPN's it works, dunno why tho.

Here my results with K-Proxy, just an idea for those that have such issues, where there be problem there are plenty of ways around them ;)

This way you can view any site you wish, VPN's can also be super helpful :)

Rock on.

a great memory of my 3dfx past the three Legendary Voodoo5 Graphcs card series :)

Hey Maniac81 you got me to an old memory!
    So here it goes hah :topmodel::respekt:

High End:
    3dfx Voodoo 5 6000 AGP 128MB Rev.A 3700 + Hank Semenec's PCI-Rework & gdonovan's Internal Power Hookup mod

Mid End:
    3dfx Voodoo 5 5500 AGP 64MB Rev.A 2500

Low End:
    3dfx Voodoo 5 5000 AGP 32MB Rev.A0 3700

My 3dfx memories will never fade, my photo gallery doesn't lie about it either :)
    And I may not have them physically, but within my mind none of my cards ever left me, but neither the knowledge I gain for them either, so all good here <3

Well I know the owners but I am not going to reveal them sorry. they are sick and tired being mailed and dm'ed by rich people trying to buy out their gems for stupid amounts of coin... thus I protect them for their own privacy from such threats.

As owner of the official x-3dfx FB community this is my goal to protect the collectors from such problematic types.

Blue-Leader SMP 2009

2x 6 Core AMD OpteronDP 2435 D0 Istanbul CPU's, 12 Cores @ 2.6Ghz

2x ASUS Triton 70's

Supermicro H8DAE-2 NVIDIA NForce 3600 Pro, MCP 550 Pro & IO55

32GB NUMA Dual Channel DDR2-800 HP/Kingston Server RamECC Reg

Supermicro SIM LP-B IPMI 2.0 16MB Card Rev.3.01 0907

AMD Radeon HD 6990 PCI-E 4GB 512Bit GDDR5 Rev 02. 1136 (2x 2GB 256Bit GDDR5 In practical)

Realtek ALC883 7.1 OnBoard HD Audio

1x Intel 320 SSD 120GB/64MB Cache Boot Disk [Upgrade on The Way]

Plextor PX-820A Dual Layer DVD Re-Writer 12x/8x UATA-133

4x Western Digital 500GB/32MB Cache Raid Edition3 24/7 Series in RAID 0 1.81TB Storage Disk

2x Broadcom 1000 MBit Ethernet RJ45 Lan Jacks

Antec True Power Quatto 1000 Watt EPS12V + 2.3V

Lian Li PC-A7010 Black Server Case

Lian Li W-75BP Side Window Panel

Hewlett Packard ZR24w 24" 16:10 Aspect Ratio HS-IPS Panel

Native Reso of 1920 x 1200 x32 @ 60 Hertz

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64 UK + Service Pack 01

AMD Crimson Beta 16.2.1 for Win7x64

Ohohoh da weiß man ja woran man hier im Forum als 3dfx Sammler bei einigen Leuten ist...

uhm okay?:/ Well I am not "some people" I am just me and no one else ;)
    My goal is to only help kind respectful people and those that deserve a real chance.

Your words come over as mean, troubling, insulting and unreliable, something I will have to remember and be aware of in the future.

Well put Backfire :thumbup:

And yes I know quite a few people that have 3dfx prototypes, but I prefer to keep their names in private, just to protect them from these mindless capitalists and brainless zealots like "tm" for example ;)

It's the ways of the Jedi to protect those from the unwanted guests.

My advice to all Voodoo5 6000 owners and owners of other 3dfx prototypes, keep your cards safe in your own hands, it's probably the safest for these cards, thereby preventing them to land in the wrong hands.

Maniac81 Were you able to get SLI working on the 5000 AGP under a NTFS OS?
    This was the one thing I could never get working with 98SE it was no issue at all.

I tried adding binaries in the .cfg files of the drivers to force the driver to enable it but that never worked either, it goes many years back tho.
    Here my research on the Voodoo5 5000 AGP x4 32MB Rev.A0 3700 had two of these and the Voodoo5 5000 PCI 32MB rev.A1 0900 had one of these
    https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2185135

And the day I hit the main page from 3dfxzone.it for getting a Voodoo5 5000 AGP x4 32MB Rev.A0 3700 working in games under Win98SE NL + Unofficial Service Pack 1.6 in SLI mode and WinXP Pro UK + SP3 even it was single chip, my result was the same was I tried with Win 2K pro + SP4 before this test, you can see this cool front page post here :)
    http://www.3dfxzone.it/news/reader.php?objid=2417

it's just wasn't good enough due to the SLI issue I kept getting with both 5000 AGP boards under any NTFS operating system, it really bugged my mind.
    So I just had to be sure, but yea it would of been nice if SLI did work under NTFS Operating systems when it came to the Voodoo5 5000 AGP boards, the 5000 PCI how ever showed no issues, so I dunno what caused this to actually break, I am assuming it was a driver related issue.

But yea I am wondering if you are experiencing the same issues I had and maybe you can find a way to solve this?
    Even I don't have my cards anymore, I can still relate to it and maybe help test things as well :)

So here the card in the test system :topmodel:

Blue-Leader SMP 2009

2x 6 Core AMD OpteronDP 2435 D0 Istanbul CPU's, 12 Cores @ 2.6Ghz

2x ASUS Triton 70's

Supermicro H8DAE-2 NVIDIA NForce 3600 Pro, MCP 550 Pro & IO55

32GB NUMA Dual Channel DDR2-800 HP/Kingston Server RamECC Reg

Supermicro SIM LP-B IPMI 2.0 16MB Card Rev.3.01 0907

AMD Radeon HD 6990 PCI-E 4GB 512Bit GDDR5 Rev 02. 1136 (2x 2GB 256Bit GDDR5 In practical)

Realtek ALC883 7.1 OnBoard HD Audio

1x Intel 320 SSD 120GB/64MB Cache Boot Disk [Upgrade on The Way]

Plextor PX-820A Dual Layer DVD Re-Writer 12x/8x UATA-133

4x Western Digital 500GB/32MB Cache Raid Edition3 24/7 Series in RAID 0 1.81TB Storage Disk

2x Broadcom 1000 MBit Ethernet RJ45 Lan Jacks

Antec True Power Quatto 1000 Watt EPS12V + 2.3V

Lian Li PC-A7010 Black Server Case

Lian Li W-75BP Side Window Panel

Hewlett Packard ZR24w 24" 16:10 Aspect Ratio HS-IPS Panel

Native Reso of 1920 x 1200 x32 @ 60 Hertz

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64 UK + Service Pack 01

AMD Crimson Beta 16.2.1 for Win7x64

Some nice icy blue hues and Driver installation success YES! The real fun can really start after this successful installation :D

Here some General Hardware & Driver info :) Also note Mantle API being present, the predecessor of Vulkan API :)

GPU Info table, Both GPU's are running at HD 6950 speeds which is 830Mhz GPU & 1250Mhz VRAM, there is a Bios Switch for HD 6970 Speeds which is 880Mhz GPU & 1250Mhz VRAM as well, but for now 830Mhz is fine, it uses less power thus less heat is also formed.

GPU 01 left & GPU 02 Right:

Here some shots I took from my Minecraft Server from 2009 with the Jarninia HD Pack for Minecraft 1.7.9, this maintains the original colors but makes them HD :)
    The R900 Antilles Reference Board which is a HD 6990 ran this very well, in MSI After burner I had my fan profile setup so it would not surpass the 60C and I also disabled ULPS aka Power Play, this avoids the card from setting the second GPU to an ultra low power level, hah not gonna allow that to happen right :topmodel:

Here Primal Carnage: Extinction 1.14.0

The HD 6990 got to around 60 a 62C and not higher this was after 1 hour of testing in max details with FSAA x8EQ & AF x16, nothing to short of at 1920x1200x32.

So I had to test more games Subnautica was one I always wanted to test, see if Unity Supports CFX, even I knew SLI didn't work, but it seems to the the case that CFX also is not supported with Unity Engine.
    Each GPU has 2GB or say 2048MB of 256Bit GDDR5 @ 1250Mhz.
    Subnautica had moments where the VRAM usage was 2013MB of the 2048MB lmao, sooo close rofl! :topmodel::bonk:
    And only one GPU doing the workloads as well the card had a hard time but gameplay was stable., I think it did less than 20 ps, for me it ddn't matter it was just to see how the card would do in such situations, stress your hardware well comrades bring it down to it's knee's for science! :spitze:

Main Menu the Card already used 649MB of VRAM, and we all know the main menu doesn't have much going on rofl.
    All 12 cores were used though, which was interesting to see. Second pic shows the difference rofl :topmodel:

And when I went to my base, this is near a tree with Ghost Leviathan Eggo's in it, the final safe zone for that part.
    The card had a very hard time haha, max temp it reached with Subnautica was 64C, good case airflow helps a mother load.

But there ya have it really, she works like Magic <3

Hey all :)

On April 16, 2020, I met a guy on ebay, he was selling one for 119 Euros and the shipping was 10 Euros I was like well that's nice I mailed the owner of he would reserve it since 119 For an AMD R900 Antilles Reference Board is not expensive at all. it's stil quite capable for most of today's games like The Witcher 2 & 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition but games like Doom 2016 would also be able to run on it quite well, that too I will test :)

So here that sale of that HD 6990 back in 2011 these went for 749 Eur on release they werethe top of the range back then

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/AMD-RADEON-HD6990-4GB-PCI-EXPRESS-VIDEO-GRAPHICS-CARD-GDDR5-256BITx2/353016033310

As you can see, this is a Dual GPU board, it has powered by Dual RV970 XT Cayman GPU's with each 2GB 256Bit GDDR5 on a single PCB, the ATi/XilinX PCI-E 2.0 x16 Bridge chip allows both GPU's to work together in Dual Chip CFX Mode.

So basically this is like having two Radon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 cards on a single PCB and you could get a second for Quad CrossFire X Four GPU's of pure madness :topmodel:

Here the specs of these R900 boards:

AMD Radeon HD 6990 PCI-E 4GB 512Bit GDDR5 Rev 002 1136

GPU's 2x RV970 XT Cayman VLIW4 GPU's

2x 2GB 256Bit GDDR5

2x 1536 VLIW4 Stream Processors

Code Name: R900 Antilles

TMU's: 2x 96

ROPS: 2x 32

FP64: 1/4

TSMC 40nm

Core Clock Bios Main: 830Mhz

Core Clock Bios Secondary: 880Mhz

VRAM Clock: 1250Mhz

Transistor Count: 2x 2.64 Billion

So I showed the seller my past collections from 3dfx ATI/AMD< NVIDIA S3 Matrox, all the Opteron Servers & Workstations, the 3dfx Retro System, the Star Wars & Dino Riders collections the B747's you name it and he was so amazed and he wanted to gift me the card instead as gift of honor and he hoped I would not say no all I had to pay of the 10 Eur shipping :spitze:

So basically I got a card of 119 euro for 10 euro, just mind gobbelingly crazy

vintage_treasures82:

Give me your name and full address and I will send you the video card for free, you just pay me 10 euro for transport, that is all. And I am not joking :topmodel:

I hope you agree,

Dan.

So yeah, I could not refuse that lmao :D

Best day ever when it comes to collecting rare graphics cards like this one.

Here some pics the seller made of the card I was getting:

So after it arrived here the card before cleaning:

After looking at it I saw dark gray dust in it and was like yeaps time to take a look under the hood, right 8)

So after taking it a apart I cleaned it like I did with my previous R900 Antilles Reference Board from back in 2014.
    Took it apart washed and cleaned every part soap & water did the trick for the plastic parts and turpentine & Anti-Synthetic Alcohol or wtf it's called to clean off the terps, my old method as I have used for the 800+ Graphics cards I had in the past, let me put it that way lmao.
    I just improvise and used my brain and made the best of it.

So here the card all cleaned up, there was tons of dried up clay residue around the chips, I had to clip it off with my finger nails after soaking it with turpentine and this was a slow process it took me four hours to get rid of that cheap crap.

But yea, as you can see, hard work always pays off doesn't it, also the second picture shows the PCB Date of 1136 and Revision could (002) or this is batch number? I made my guess it's the Revision, I could be mistaken as usual :rolleyes: Oh well.

Here all the parts in their cleaned stage, after this I also reapplied the two RV970 XT Cayman GPU's with Noctua NH-1 Thermal Compound, some say don't use this ,w ell I do use it and it has done considerably better than most over priced compounds, and since I was overstocked by it from all the Opterons & systems I built for my family I took good use of the stuff:

And here the card in it's fully renovated new state, yes it's like new again <3

Next thing was games that in the second post :)

for the extra speed it's a waste but the image quality the 3500 would make more sense.

V3 3500's have a 350Mhz RAMDAc as where the 3000 has a 300Mhz RAMDAC and the 2000 & 1000 and below have a 270Mhz RAMDAC
    if memory serves me well the higher the RAMDAC the better the image quality output, I think it was something that referred to this.

If anyone can explain with better wording, be my guest :)
    The Compaq V 3 3500C has a D-Sub + S-Video TV-Out, this card is much easier to use, the V3 3500 TV AGP has the TV Tuner and IO Pod for the ViVo.
    For practical use you wont need all that so for that there are the M1-A Convertors with these you can connect these to the 30+5 pin IO pod connector which converts to a 155 pin D-Sub VGA out for your monitor.

Here my thread about this convertor type:
    30+5 Pin M1-A to D-Sub Convertor for Voodoo3 3500 TV AGP's!

Yeah got all the photo's you can check out my research to what I gained with my Napalm boards in this thread at EVGA:
    https://forums.evga.com/3dfx-V…communities-m2185131.aspx

Very imperessive work and many very beautiful pics.

Many thanks man, at least I left some good memories and knowledge behind and I know I made the lists right after I sold my cards, dunno who's Voodoo5 5000 & 6000 you have tho, since I didn't see you in my lists either, interesting otherwise :)

Anyways I am glad you still have your 3dfx marvels and it does me good to see them again : )
    Also my 5000 AGP's worked fine in 98 SE NL with UnOfficial Service Pack 1.6 and the Amigamerlin 2.9 driver worked also fine. but Win 2K Pro & WinXP Pro wasn't so grando rofl :topmodel:

My first 5000 AGP did stable game runs of around 7 hours the second card didn'tgive me more than 5 hours, the system I used was the following:

AMD AthlonXP 2700+ T-Bred B @ 2167Mhz
    EPoX EP-8K3A+
    1x 1GB PC-3200 Kingston Hyper-X Genesis + 1x 1GB Corsair XMS Platinum | 2GB PC-3200 @ PC-2700.
    3dfx Voodoo5 5000 AGP x4 32MB Rev.A0 3700
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 Platinum

Win 98 SE NL (Dutch version)
    UnOfficial Service pack 1.6 (Was latest at the time I used it)
    AmigaMerlin 2.9
    Latest x-3dfx drivers for Win9X

Both driver sets worked fine to my best of memories.