Glide Wrapper for 98SE with Descent 2 3Dfx support.

• Hi all :)

A friend of mine from USA from Descent Rangers seeks a good glide wrapper for his Windows 98SE setup using a GeForce 6200 PCI 128MB.
    He is trying to configure it so he can run Descent 2 1.2 with 3D fx Glide Patch, but so far he has no luck with any of the Glide wrappers out there like Zeckensack's Glide Wrapper & nGlide.

IF any of you people here could pass along some tips, English would be best so he can read along in this thread. :)

Many thanks for reading 8)

• Of course he might already have tried all Win9x compatible wrappers on [this list here], but just in case he hasn't, I'll mention that, as there are quite a few wrappers from the old times that might do the trick.

If he has already worked his way through that list, I'm at a loss here myself. A shame that nGlide won't work with 9x.

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

Stolzer Besitzer eines 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP Prototypen:

• 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP HiNT Rev.A-3700

[//wp.xin.at] - No RISC, no fun!

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

Quote Bier.jpg@IRC 2020: "Je schlimmer der Fetisch, desto besser!"

• Gold Leader is referencing my project (thx for reaching out for help GL).

I setup Win98 SE on Virtual Box (latest) using a 98lite micro installation. It was crazy getting to that point. :)

I am not using a GeForce card. I am using the SciTech Display Doctor designed for VirtualBox. I got it working with OpenGL and all the GL tests pass (they look great). http://scitechdd.wordpress.com/

I tried all of the Glide wrappers listed on that site. All of them crash or don't load anything. The only thing that comes close to working is Glidos. The game launches, and I get sound, but the DOS screen is blank. I can even key through the menus and start a level and play (without seeing anything), but I hear what's going on. I've tried all kinds of settings to no avail (even messed with the SciTech driver settings).

Glidos via DOSBox works, but that defeats my purpose. I am trying to get it running in Win98 in order to attempt using it through Kali (IPX emulation) to play multiplayer games. http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=25586

Talk about a heck of a project. So frustrating. :)

There is an OpenGL project called DXX-Rebirth, but it only supports UDP. Trying to get the original/3DFX version running via IPX (mentioned above) for testing purposes.

Thanks!
    Verran

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Verran (1. August 2013 um 22:09)

• Ok, i understand. Here is one piece of very good advice that you're not going to like: Do not use virtual machines. Use a real machine, bare metal, with full Win9x support for all the hardware inside.

I know that's most likely not what you want to do. But getting Win32 Glide to work on a VBox is afaik impossible. The Wine Libs/OpenGL wrapping that VBox uses for 3D Acceleration is far less than complete. I have seen enough OpenGL software just crash even though all VBox should do is pass through the OGL calls to the host driver (that's the most simple setup for VBox 3D, to just use an OpenGL application).

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von GrandAdmiralThrawn (2. August 2013 um 08:31)

• Oh yeah, for sure real hardware would do it. I mean, I had a P2-400 Windows 98 machine with a Voodoo 2 that has been sitting in the closet, all ready to go. But, it got destroyed while moving (cries)!

I wanted to see if it could work, so other folks, who don't have access to old hardware, could build out a VM system to do the same thing.

I am going to try VMWare next, as nVidia has passthrough drivers built for it. I doubt it will work, but I'm not ready to give up yet. :)

Thanks!
    Verran

• Well, if you DO get some positive results, please report back with your findings, as this would surely be interesting. I know it is possible to fully virtualize graphics cards, but so far I have only seen this on headless hosts running nothing but a VM supervisor on Linux, so the graphics card is not being used by the host at all. Then you can install the real nVidia driver on the guest VM (Linux Qemu/KVM in that case, also possible with XEN I heard).

But that setup is useless for you, as I suppose you want to make use of your graphics card on both the host and the guest VM at the same time?

Still, it would be interesting to see some success in that field. If only GPUs where already as virtualizable as CPUs.

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg