OldSkool 3Dfx based Dual Pentium Pro SMP Project :)

• Hi all :)

Since I have been doing some shopping via ebay I have bought the following parts for an OldSkool SMP setup, by having Dual Pentium Pro CPU's :)

P6 Revolution

Dual Pentium Pro 200Mhz 1MB L2
    Intel i440FX Chipset based Mobo from Gateway Systems USA
    4x 128MB 168pins EDO DIMM ECC Ram from Mircon
    Diamond Fire GL 1000 Pro PCI 8MB SGRAM
    Orchid Rightageous 3D II PCI 12MB
    in SLI With
    Diamond Monster 3D II PCI 12MB
    Creative Labs AWE 64 Gold! ISA 8MB WRAM
    2x Pentium Pro CPU Cooler Socket 8 Ball Bearing Fan

for fun testing:
    2x P Pro 133 Mhz 256KB L2 Engineering Sample CPU's
    2x Pentium Pro CPU Cooler Socket 8 Ball Bearing Fan

I am not sure if WinXP will do fine with this setup since I gave it 512MB of ram the amount should be fine or would you say use Win2K Pro instead.

So the OS is still something I am wondering about, as for the HDD"s as well.

Here's more info if the mobo I chose for:
    http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/INT…/M00267nv.shtml

Dunno what size format it has looks like Extended ATX hehe not sure though so some tips on that can help as well thx :)

oh for the people that may ask why such an old setup, well I'm a retro PC hardware builder user as tester it interests me a lot more and it's all part of my roots too, in other words I Prefer Retro OldSkool SMP's of around 1994 to 1997.

I will keep this topic up to date as I progress.

6 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Obi-Wan Kenobi (20. Januar 2009 um 15:33)

• The link is a little bit misformatted, there is part of a VA URL in it. [This should be the correct link to Gateway]. I hope you don't mind me correcting. ;)

Oh by the way, chipset is i440FX, the i450GX is usually only used for quad systems, with linked dual i450GX being used for hex and octal setups. i450GX has really huge bridge chips, like almost the size of a Pentium processor, and the memory interface controllers are in separate chips, one for each interleave. Additionally it features two PCI bus controllers as well as 32-Bit EISA. The i440FX is far more compact, 1 PCI bus, Standard ISA, can support USB (used on some Tyan boards for instance) and can support Burst EDO, but doesn't do 4-Way Bank Interleaving like i450GX.

i440FX supports two CPUs, I had three mainboards based on that chipset too, a DELL Dimension Pro200n Board (Single CPU) as well as two Tyan boards, a Tyan Titan Pro and a Tyan Titan Pro ATX. There are even 440FX boards for Slot-1 supporting Pentium II class processors.

For all who are interested:
    [i440FX Specification PDF]
    [i440GX/KX Specification PDF] (KX is a "smaller" GX for two CPUs with only 2-Way Interleaving (2 x MIC) and one PCI Bus)

I'm really looking forward to seeing this in all its glory, especially with the black beast 1MB CPUs. ;) Just mind your PSU, in such a setup the CPUs alone will consume almost a 100 watts max, rofl.

Edit: Don't forget to deliver the PIC goodness! ;)

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

Stolzer Besitzer eines 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP Prototypen:

• 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP HiNT Rev.A-3700

[//wp.xin.at] - No RISC, no fun!

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

Quote Bier.jpg@IRC 2020: "Je schlimmer der Fetisch, desto besser!"

6 Mal editiert, zuletzt von GrandAdmiralThrawn (13. Januar 2009 um 08:18)

• hehe norries people the Dual Pentium Pro 200Mhz 1MB L2 aka Dual P6 1MB shall be relived like it should of been :)
    For me this is going to be a very good history lesson and it will bring along lots of fun too :)

about my OS Setup, Win2K Pro or XP Pro dunno yet, since she has 512MB both OSes should do fine right?
    And about the SCSI connector what type of HDD's can be used with that thing? I do have 2x 80GB ATA 100 HDD 's from Seagate I hope these will do fine with this setup he heck I don't even have the slightest idea how large the max capacity of each HDD can be with such a setup :wacko: :topmodel:

• Definitely a nice Setup :hre:
    I'm really looking forward to see the complete System :) For OS, you can try XP - imho it uses SMP a little better than 2k does. If you deactivate unneeded services and the useless "eyecandy", you got it consuming about 60megs of RAM. I think it should run fine enough on your Dual PPro :)

• ah okay thx for the heads up :) now I am waiting for all the gear to arrive from these countries :hre::topmodel::spitze:

Germany
    Republic Of China
    United States Of America
    United Kingdom LoL :topmodel:

and I named the system P6 Revolution because well the P6 aka Pentium Pro was a Revolution for the workstation/server market so were the 3DFX Voodoo2 12MB's in SLI and the AWE64 also made a revolution for the best ever midi possible :)

Anyways the names suits it all the way, P6 Revolution heh yeah fits it all the way. 8):thumbup:

@ Turrican

thanx buddy it works now :)

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Obi-Wan Kenobi (13. Januar 2009 um 19:15)

• The SCSI chip on the board is an Adaptec AIC-7880, i have two of the very same type in my own server, so i kinda know these. They provide Ultra Wide SCSI support, so the theoretical maximum transfer rate is 40MB/s. You'll have to use 68-Pin SCSI cables for that, and you should be able to attach up to 15 drives to that AIC-7880. There is no native HW RAID support though. You will also need to use a terminated cable (or a cable with an extra 68-Pin terminator).

A terminated 68-Pin SCSI cable looks like this:
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://afterthemac.com/images/68pintermgal.gif]

There is virtually no size limit to the HDDs you can attach. And more modern SCSI HDDs with faster transfer rates can usually just fall back to UW SCSI if you connect them to this controller. The only thing you will have to look out for is the 68-Pin connector.

As for the IDE controller: I do not know everything about the 440FX anymore, but there will be a 137GB limit for sure, but i do not know if there are any lower hard limits right at the moment. The fastest supported transfer rates should be PIO Mode 4 or MW-DMA 2 (Multiword-DMA 2, a predecessor of UDMA, UDMA drives will also support MW-DMA). In PIO 4 and MW-DMA 2 the controller tops out at a theoretical maximum transfer rate of 16.6MB/s (which is a lot slower than the AIC-7880 you have on the board). Using MW-DMA 2 might reduce CPU load during I/O slightly.

Edit: As for the OS, i personally would prefer Win2000, but i guess, XP might just work as well. You have enough memory, and since this will be a kind of workstation / gaming PC, XP might not be that bad a choice. It may give the thing the looks of being able to easily drive a modern OS, could be nice.

1-6000-banner-88x31-jpg

Stolzer Besitzer eines 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP Prototypen:

• 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP HiNT Rev.A-3700

[//wp.xin.at] - No RISC, no fun!

QotY: Girls Love, BEST Love; 2018 - Lo and behold, for it is the third Coming; The third great Year of Yuri, citric as it may be! Edit: 2019 wasn't too bad either... Edit: 2020... holy crap, we're on a roll here~♡!

Quote Bier.jpg@IRC 2020: "Je schlimmer der Fetisch, desto besser!"

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von GrandAdmiralThrawn (13. Januar 2009 um 19:51)

• Well there did some parts arrive this week :)

The 4 newly boxed P Pro CPU fanned coolers arrived last Saturday January 17, 2008 ;)
    The 4 x 128MB ECC EDO DIMM sticks and the Orchid Rightageous 3D II PCI 12MB arrives last Monday, January 19, 2008.

I have no camera at the moment but in the weekend I will be able to shoot some pics and hopefully by then the rest has arrived ;)

Update :)

1 of 2 P Pro 133 ES CPU's and the Creative Labs AWE 64 Gold ISA 8MB WRAM arrived yesterday, Tuesday January 20, 2008 heh late post, I know :whistling:

The PCB looks brand new as untouched only it's backplate had rust marks on it, I was able to remove most of these marks with a sandpaper sponge and it does look a lot better now heh, I suppose these were left over stock AWE 64 PCB's without backplates, dunno how come their backplates received their rust marks though. :topmodel:

I will do my best to make pics of it this upcoming Friday to show you all what I have gathered :thumbup:

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Obi-Wan Kenobi (21. Januar 2009 um 02:52)