Bericht Umbau V5500PCI auf V5500MAC

• For sure. But the whole concept is outdated nowdays, so even these chips would be "vintage".

But this is the only acceptable mod! I mean, it would just be wrong to solder wires to the data lines and attach a second PCB with the new DVI transmitter! That would look ugly and kill the whole point of keeping an old, legendary graphics card. The voodoo can't do anything better than recent cards, so why bother using new hardware on this old card? Then the whole point of using retro hardware is lost. Same holds for me for the cards anthony is producing.

If someone is really interested in this, I can finish the schematic of this chip so it can be used as a reference to the upgrade.

But no way in hell i will touch me precious V5500 PCI MAC if it isn't necessary ;)

• Cool project. I wonder if there is a better alternative to the Silicon Image chip by now

Maybe use the chips the Matrox Parhelia's used, not sure if these would do better on a V5 PCI DVI tho.
    Being that the Parhelia AGOP 256MB DDR I have is from week 51, year 2003, I'd only think that new gen chips may be too small to be used on the V5, due to different pin out, but knowing that Matrox were kings of image quality, maybe the DVI chips they used may work on a V5 DVI based card?

Chrontel it uses, not sure if Silicon Image is any better or worse :topmodel:

But hey at least they make a cute picture right <3 :topmodel:

• I took some time trying a different screen. It looks like the Benq FP71V+ has some issues with V5500 DVI, a newer screen I now used doesen't show any problems.

I think that the mod wasn't the issue at all :D

Okay: I think this thread can be closed, the card is fully working. :)

At the end some images, now with a fitting slot bracket:

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Physikant (13. Januar 2022 um 19:46)

• Okay, to satisfy Bier.jpg: I just tried 1600x1200 True Color, no issues at all under Win98SE.

Gold Leader: I just checked the Chrontel CH7301C Datasheet (that is the chip from your Matrox Parhelia):

It does basically the same (and a little bit more) as the Silicon Image chip from the V5500, but it is not pin compatible at all.

• Hi Physikant ,

I've read everything without intervening, from the beginning of your Voodoo Pci to Mac adventure.

I Congratulate you :respekt: on the great job you have done, without distorting an old glory like the V5 5500.

I agree with you that identical chips from the original MAC version should be used. There is no need to distort the original design, not least because the intent was to add qualities already provided by the v5 pci PCB.

If you want, you could make a complete schematic with all the components, we would be grateful. :)

• Backfire:

An einem DVI-Mod wäre ich auch interessiert, wenn du mal wieder freie Winterstunden hast oder deine Sucht nach Kolophoniumdämpfen befriedigen möchtest :). Ich hätte da zwei Patienten: Voodoo 5500 und Voodoo 4500.

Physikant:

Ich finde deinen Mod richtig toll :hre:. Super, dass du es nun hinbekommen hast. Würdest du den vollständigen Schaltplan trotz allem noch einstellen und mit uns teilen?

Danke im Voraus :thumbup:.

• Ja gerne - ich muss mich damit auch erst "anfreunden" aber wenn erstmal hier Karten liegen, dann reihe ich das schon in meine Abläufe ein.

Wie an anderer Stelle schon erwähnt, ich habe erst eine V4 damit ausgerüstet, was aber auf Anhieb funktioniert hat.

Ich finde es bemerkenswert wie lange das ein Schattendasein geführt hat. Ungeachtet ob DVI nun unbedingt sein muss oder nicht. Nötig ist das sicher nicht aber durchaus interessant.

Und nun hat das eine Eigendynamik entwickelt, der man sich nur schwer entziehen kann. :)

Auf jeden Fall werde ich mal eine etwas "dickere" Bestellung von Teilen anschieben, denn es haben schon viele gefragt.

- Backfire -

ACH - BY THE WAY..

Vor einigen Monaten, (oder Jahren) hat mir einer von euch mal eine V5 5500 PCI mit "selbstgestrickter" DVI Erweiterung zur Reparatur geschickt, auf der die Teile so schlecht verlötet waren und das ganze auch nicht funktionierte.

Der/Diejenige darf sich gerne melden, vielleicht bekommen wir das ja doch noch in den Griff. Damals hatte ich doch eher eine gleichgültige Einstellung zu DVI an einer V5/4. Nun erkenne ich dass das unangebracht war.

• Gold Leader

Well, nice indeed having your Card here for some tests I never did before. If it is ok for you, I like to keep "her" for a few days, before I send it back to you?

- Backfire -

Do all what is of need, if that can help others, I'm cool with that :)

Idea --> Flatbed Scanner Photo's of the V5 PCI Mac

Maybe an idea make scan photos of my V5 PCI Mac with a flatbed scanner, so this may help those in need that want with conversions from their Voodoo5 5500 PCI to a Voodoo5 5500 PCI Mac.

Just scan top side and rear side, so those that do these conversions know what exact parts they need.

Kind of cool that my V5 PCI Mac has helped to aid others in need hah, just great :topmodel:

Oh yea here's an other idea, for those that have a Voodoo5 5500 AGP x4, these too can be given a conversion to a 5500 AGP Mac for example :spitze:
    Typically the same was done for those with their 5500 PCI's :topmodel:

From this:

To this:

Eventually you get this look from the ports view:

7 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (14. Januar 2022 um 08:56)