a 32 Core systems hehe from a friend of mine.

• Well @ 2CPU.com Slash a friend of mine from that place is building something out of this world really it's an 8-Way Quad Core AMD OpteronMP 8347 HE Barcelona with 16x 1GB ram, he has not everything on houuse 4 of the 8 CPU's and the mobo with the PSU and the case , here a quote from him on how he proceeded :)

I'll keep this up to date on how he completes this hefty task.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (12. September 2009 um 18:01)

• Professional hardware in consumer-case. Well...nice bicolage but I prefer the professional hardware in a professional case. This is what I see in our computer centers.

Let me guess. He will install Windows XP on the system :topmodel:

Sorry, for being not so enthusiastic...

• Professional hardware in consumer-case. Well...nice bicolage but I prefer the professional hardware in a professional case. This is what I see in our computer centers.

Let me guess. He will install Windows XP on the system :topmodel:

Sorry, for being not so enthusiastic...

he no and no and no ;)

Hi is going to install Win 2008 Enterprise Edition, this is his workstation and the coolest thing he made the impossible possible ;) he modded an expensive Lian Li server case of around 300 eur to fit such a setup this I find much more interesting and clever minded than waisting money on a Tyan VC50 case of about 3000 eur or more rofl ;)

Innovative people like Slash, they have the spirit to interest me alot more than rich people who have money as power to buy everything and try to make others look as if they are nothing... And really all the moeny he used was no more that 2500 USD, he played it very wise for this project, here he writes on how he got this gear, Slash is nnot to be underestimated, he is a smart guy and he knows what to take on and what not. 8)

he thought this and yeaps it was correct , heck he even got the parts he seeked cheaper than he thought ;)

Just awesome to build a home built super computer with such a budget.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (14. September 2009 um 02:00)

• And some more progress on that 32 core system heh finally some news again :)

Zitat von Slash;770862

Quick update. Been moving slowly lately since I've been busy with "real" work.

Got both boards mounted now, but need some tweaks to level expansion board and make sure I don't have any stress on the HTx cards. PSU mounts are completely done. Can fit 4 PCIe x16 cards plus 1 PCI card. Used a card with a backplate on it to test worst-case fit.
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll283/SlashG4/SANY0031.jpg]

Top bracket fit testing. This will be riveted to the top of the case, and will have 3 small stud posts to hang the expansion board on.
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll283/SlashG4/SANY0034.jpg]

More to come soon ;)

• What will he do with the system? Windows Server 2008 EE is no workstation-OS. And I guess 16GB RAM is not enough. 512MB per core? Sounds not impressive...

btw: Innovative people like Slash? Innovative? Explain, please...

• What will he do with the system? Windows Server 2008 EE is no workstation-OS. And I guess 16GB RAM is not enough. 512MB per core? Sounds not impressive...

btw: Innovative people like Slash? Innovative? Explain, please...

Yes it's very innovative to buy a 32 core system what normally would cost you over the 15000 USD for under the 2500 USD...and it's also innovative because it's something you don't just see every day, @ 2CPU.com a 2CPU system is avery normal thing, and we talk 2 CPU's so Dual Quad Cores for example.
    The system will be used for Folding @ Home and for hydro simulation app for designing boat/ship/offshore supply vessel hulls and drives.

16GB of ram is indeed somewhere on the tight edge, though he was planning to upgrade this someda in the future, but for now it's fine.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Gold Leader (21. September 2009 um 16:20)

• Yes it's very innovative to buy a 32 core system what normally would cost you over the 15000 USD for under the 2500 USD...

Well...it is not the hardware which make servers so expensive. It is the support from e.g. Hewlett-Packard.
    IMHO it is not innovative to give a damn on support but in order to make it buy-able it's OK...but not innovative ;)

and it's also innovative because it's something you don't just see every day, @ 2CPU.com a 2CPU system is avery normal thing, and we talk 2 CPU's so Dual Quad Cores for example.

You do not see such a computer in the consumer-market. Tell me when he build up a cluster.

The system will be used for Folding @ Home and for hydro simulation app for designing boat/ship/offshore supply vessel hulls and drives.

Okay...good needs.

• does not mean others have to go with your opinions, they still remain your options ;) @ 2CPU we thing different.

He is looking for more ram btw , here some updates and some benchmark scores, as the OS goe's it's not that abd as it seems.

Zitat von Slash;770907

Not really for my use. Looking like 24GB right now.

Got the motherboard running with 16 cores until the 50mm fans come in.

Running Windows Enterprise Server 2008, I get a passmark CPU score of 8138.
    SiSoft Sandra arithmetic 'mark gives 85.7 GFLOPS and 113.8 GIPS.
    SiSoft Sandra multi-media 'mark gives a Float score of 208.5 Mpixels/sec and an Integer score of 347 MPixels/sec.
    SiSoft Sandra Cyrpto 'mark gives an aggregate score of 1.23GB/s.
    Cinebench will not load. Guess it won't run on this OS?

Highest power draw at the wall was 385W. As a worst-case test, I have the 750W supply currently running the motherboard. The 910W will power it once all is final.

Think some of the super-cheap 1GB sticks I bought are flaky. Not too surprised...

btw this was dobnne with only 4 quad cores heh 16 cores total this is just the half of the total system, more tests soon with all 32 cores. :thumbup:

• does not mean others have to go with your opinions, they still remain your options ;) @ 2CPU we thing different.

Of course. Think whatever you want.

btw: Maybe your friend should get a copy of the VMware ESX Server. If the system is compatible it's a good basement for such a system.

• Well here's the rest of his build all 8 CPU's thus 32Cores and all the ram has arrived :)

As you can see she's all but complete 8 CPU's 32 cores and tons of ram :cool:

• Really neat Setup, hehe :thumbup:
    And the power consumption is suprisingly low, if you take the computing power into account :)
    Nice little playthingy :hre::spitze:

• Amazing how unprofessional these holes for the power supplies are made. :rolleyes:
    That is what comes to my mind when I see this setup. In addition I have to agree with Chosen_One: The case is not the case for such a system.

But if you think it is innovative...okay....